Microsoft offers source code to China

http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/2003/02...soft_china.html

Microsoft offers source code to China

By Juliana Liu, Reuters, 02/28/03

BEIJING, Feb 28 — Microsoft Corp founder and chairman Bill Gates said on Friday the software giant had signed a deal to give the Chinese government access to its source code, which lies at the heart of its Windows operating system.

The world's largest software firm, fighting competition from the free "open-source" Linux platform, will distribute its jealously-guarded technology to China under an initiative to promote software security and to woo the world's most populous country.

"The government source programme covers 100 percent of the source code of Windows, every part of Windows," Gates told a news conference of eager Chinese reporters, who even asked for his autograph.

"That (deal) actually has zero dollars of revenue associated with it because it's a free thing, but I'd say it's a very important thing," he said with a chuckle.

Microsoft will offer source codes underpinning its Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows CE.NET software, a company executive said.

Unlike its rival Linux operating system, Microsoft sells proprietary software that cannot be copied or modified freely. An increasing number of technology giants, such as IBM, have switched to Linux.

Wearing a pearl grey suit, Gates wrapped up his two-day visit to China by announcing deals with mobile operator China Unicom, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, and PetroChina Co Ltd.

He declined to give a total figure for the deals, saying only they were worth millions of dollars.

BOOST SALES, EASE SECURITY JITTERS

Microsoft's Salah Dandan, worldwide manager of the security programme, told Reuters the deal would help his firm improve relations with China, while he downplayed concerns about piracy.

"We have full confidence that the government of China will protect our intellectual property and will treat the Windows source code with utmost confidentiality," said Dandan, a lawyer.

Analysts say the agreement may actually help Microsoft win government contracts in China, where officials want to see source codes, ensuring that software guarding sensitive state information and networks cannot be easily manipulated.

"Software security is extremely important for governments," said Li Jianchao, an analyst with the China Stock Exchange Executive Council, a semi-official research house in Beijing.

"Microsoft did that in a move to try to convince the Chinese government it should have fewer software security concerns," he said.

China, where some have criticised Microsoft for its aggressive anti-piracy efforts and policy of charging the same price for software no matter how rich or poor the country, sealed the deal with Microsoft after Russia, Britain and NATO signed on.

Company executives have said for each legitimate copy of Windows software sold in China, about nine pirated copies are made.

Julius He, an analyst with IDC, said the deal may improve the firm's chances of clinching some six billion yuan ($724.9 million) worth of software purchases the Chinese government plans to make in the next five years.

The Beijing municipal government snubbed Microsoft in a software procurement in December 2001, and some in China have encouraged development of a homegrown version of Linux.

"The fierce competition is an important reason for Microsoft to open the source code. It'll definitely help Microsoft on software sales, and in the mid-term I cannot see any negative impact," said IDC's He.

The Redmond, Washington-based firm pledged last year to invest $750 million in China over three years in an effort to embrace one of the world's fastest growing technology markets.

Or else he is dumping something that is losing value as more companies go with Linux

Hello? Bill, anybody home in Redmond? This has to be THE most baffling move Bill&Co. have made in years, IMHO.

Yes, I've been involved with PC's, in various facets since '83...though I don't write code, program (are they the same word? See, I don't know that aspect) I'm "read" on all other aspects, including OS (windows only)back to good old DOS 5.2.

They've guarded this source code better than the Mint, White House, DOS (ooops, sorry, we know that's not guarded - though nobody in D.C. can figure out HOW to get info from it) combined! Try getting into Redmond sometime - sheesh.

Anyway, I'd love to know what's going on in that mind - I have a sneaky suspicion he's floating a trial balloon here. US Government EXPORT regulations alone, I feel, would prevent him from giving away the farm like that! (all you IT's out there - you could NEVER get this).

Plus, you know how many chinese hackers are always "cracking" or "hacking" government sites for political/espionage/retaliatory reasons?

Hey, this one's gonna give them a full course meal of opportunity! Truly baffling... :lol: ;)

I am not seeing anything MSFT will lose, they probably would be better off make their base code public, given a lot of pressure from companies than have switched to free, low cost software like Linux, StarOffice, etc.

One of the reasons some people believe MSFT won't public their windows source code is because they pirated code from Macintosh, and other OS systems, though probably by now it's already been covered...

They are probably trying to save their butts in the Chinese market. I have quite a number of computer science majors in classes and they are all of the belief that Linux is much better than Windows. Whether it is or isn't doesn't even really matter. These are the people who will be making purchasing decisions in the near future and Microsoft is losing their hearts and minds rapidly.

All,

As you know, I have worked in the technology industry for the past few years. I do find this absolutely amazing, and completely contrary to the usual behavior of the "Redmond Behemoth". I'll have to read more about it before I post my thoughts. I never like to enter a debate/discussion unless I know what I am talking about.

P.J.

All,

As you know, I have worked in the technology industry for the past few years.  I do find this absolutely amazing, and completely contrary to the usual behavior of the "Redmond Behemoth".  I'll have to read more about it before I post my thoughts.  I never like to enter a debate/discussion unless I know what I am talking about.

P.J.

PJ

Relax ! It's just Bill having some " If you can beat then, join them" afterthoughts ! Well,, in a Mandarin kinda way............