Patrick,

Welcome aboard ....  sorry you had to start with such a post that mentioned the denial, there is lots of experience and knowledge here, as well as support, you don't know it yet, but you have a new and extended family....  by the way, my wife is from Shanghai too, I'll be seeing her next week

good luck in your overcome

189275[/snapback]

Hello Hanli:

Thank you for the welcome. My girlfriend Feng will be happy to know some of the members are from Shanghai. I liked it so much, I think I might like to retire there.

I have a large vocabulary of Mandarin from years of training in Chinese martial arts, but presently I study the Pimsleur Mandarin system. On my fourth lessons, I actually understood a short conversation between two Mandarin speakers. That felt great. My girlfriend is in school in Shanghai for English, but so far she is having a rough time. i think it's because she can't use it in daily life. If I can get her here, that will change quickly. You are very lucky to see her soon!

Thanks again for the welcome, you are very kind.

chinglung

189508[/snapback]

Hi Patrick,

Well I was not able to go to Shanghai as I thought, as I came down with a terrible case of Tonsilitis which almost put me in the Hospital. Interesting that your wife is going to school in shanghai studying English, so is my wife.... possibly they may know each other.

Looking forward to hearing your progress on the overcome.

good luck

190890[/snapback]

Hello Hanli:

Sorry to hear about you being sick and having to postpone your trip. I took some friends to my daifu (chinese doctor) this afternoon because everyone has very bad sore throats.

A side note: Feng isn't my wife yet, but I'm trying really hard.

Hope you feel much better.

chinglung

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am concerned

gravely about the deadline/s and what the process is. Do you think that King may respond to my email soon? I sent it on the day I joined, last Wednesday.

I would suggest that MAYBE King's office is just coming out of holiday routine- Lantern day was yesterday??? there.

190892[/snapback]

Hello Chinesewife:

Thank you for that info. I hope so, because it helps enhance my calm.

chinglung

Hello,

You might try a PM to King also. Many members here (myself included) have notifications of this happening going to an email account that will generate a popup.

-James

Hello,

You might try a PM to King also.  Many members here (myself included) have notifications of this happening going to an email account that will generate a popup.

-James

190914[/snapback]

Hello Jemmyell:

I really am a newbie. What is a PM?

Shei shei ni,

Patrick (Chinglung)

Hello,

You might try a PM to King also.  Many members here (myself included) have notifications of this happening going to an email account that will generate a popup.

-James

190914[/snapback]

Hello Jemmyell:

Shei shei ni,

Patrick (Chinglung)

190919[/snapback]

Personal/Private Message, it is simply using the site to send an email to another member, can be done from 'my controls' on the main page.

Guest pushbrk
Hello,

-James

190914[/snapback]

Hello Jemmyell:

Shei shei ni,

Patrick (Chinglung)

190919[/snapback]

As a newbie, you will greatly benefit from reading the FAQ and site information. We use many abreviations here. The answer to each "what is a" question on abreviations are in one place.

Patrick:

Welcome...from a guy born in Evanston and raised in Deerfield..

Listen to that old timer named Frank!!! Do everything possible to keep the Application in China. My preference also would be King.

As for evidence, I'll ask a few questions that are in no way meant to critisize you, however, they may help you.

Did you accompany her to either interview?

How many times and for how long have you been together in China?

Were you asked for the 5 minute VHS tape speaking together?

Did your letter get past the love part and explain how you communicate with her?

How many different mediums did you use to communicate? Phone logs? eMails? Letters?

Do you have plenty of pictures together? With her family?

Do you have any letters of encouragement from her parents and siblings?

Again, try to keep the paperwork there.

Good luck,

Phil

Patrick:

Welcome...from a guy born in Evanston and raised in Deerfield..

Listen to that old timer named Frank!!!  Do everything possible to keep the Application in China.  My preference also would be King.

As for evidence, I'll ask a few questions that are in no way meant to critisize you, however, they may help you.

Did you accompany her to either interview?

How many times and for how long have you been together in China?

Were you asked for the 5 minute VHS tape speaking together?

Did your letter get past the love part and explain how you communicate with her? 

How many different mediums did you use to communicate?  Phone logs? eMails? Letters?

Do you have plenty of pictures together?  With her family?

Do you have any letters of encouragement from her parents and siblings?

Again, try to keep the paperwork there.

Good luck,

Phil

190932[/snapback]

Hello Philb:

Evanston, I see. I am in the southern suburbs, Palos Hills, Tinley Park.

In regards to your questions, I don't mind at all. I'll try to answer them all for you. I have only been to Shanghai in July 04. I was there ten days. My SO, Feng, went for her first interview on October 24th, 2005. She was denied and was asked for more documents. Feng hired a consultant in Guangzhou. The consultant emailed me weekly and called me one or twice a week. After I sent her a packet, the consultant went to the Consulate by herself. She told us Feng didn't have to accompany her. I found out from a friend in San Francisco about CFL after Feng's first interview. That's when I found out about having to have an dialog with the VO in English. Since that time, (October) Feng enrolled in a school to learn English in Shanghai.

When I sent the packet to the consultant, it contained 18 documents, of which five were new. I sent 70 printed emails written by Feng and I. I sent 34 pictures of Feng and I together. The avitar is one of the pictures. I have a large vocabulary of mandarin words and am presently studying Mandarin with the Pimsleur system. I've written out about 30 lesson plans for Feng when she gets here.

Feng's parents are both deceased, however, I took pictures with her three brothers who live in Zhiji.

We have sent Xmas cards, Birthday cards, celebrating some Chinese and some American holidays.

I sent an email to King, and am presently waiting for a response. Tonight I have been working on my timeline for the members to view.

I appreciate all and any of your ideas. I never did anything like this before and am lucky to find a group of people so willing to help others with the same situations, with their knowledge and experiences.

Thank you

Patrick (chinglung)

wow:

It sounds like you've already covered alot of the hot buttons.

Maybe proposing the 5 minute tape may help. You might just have to go back over there to convince them.

Is there a big age difference? Are either of you very recently divorced?

Did you send an I-134 Affidavit fo Support?

Again, the Lantern Festival just completed so things should begin to settle down.

Good Luck,

Phil

wow:

It sounds like you've already covered alot of the hot buttons.

Maybe proposing the 5 minute tape may help.  You might just have to go back over there to convince them.

Is there a big age difference?  Are either of you very recently divorced?

Did you send an I-134 Affidavit fo Support?

Again, the Lantern Festival just completed so things should begin to settle down.

Good Luck,

Phil

190950[/snapback]

Hello Philb:

I am 53 yrs. old and Feng is 45, 46 next month. I was divorced 22 years ago. Feng was divorced in 2001.

I did fill out I-134.

I may have to go back as you suggest, but it is difficult right now. Additionally, Feng is in school for English. I need for her to get better before she makes a VHS tape.

Thank you.

chinglung

Feng is in school for English but she has expressed her difficulty with learning and practicing. I set up an online email account for Feng at <address deleted>  I hired a translator with computer skills in Shanghai  to pick up the emails for Feng, translate them and give them to Feng. She writes her responses, which are then translated back into English and sent back to me. I practice Mandarin with the Pimsleur Mandarin CD's and I practice with some of my Chinese students (Tai Chi) On my 4th lesson, I actually understood the dialog between two Mandarin speakers. I was very happy. I have 90 - 45 minute lessons, so I have 86 more to go.

I will post more information soon. I have to figure out how to post my timeline. Thank you for your kindness.

Patrick (Chinglung)

190002[/snapback]

Talking about translators and translating emails, it reminds me of what my laopo overheard a conversation between an SO and the VO during my laopo's interview last October. The SO did not know much English and her US husband knew hardly any Chinese. Apparently there was little phone calls communication. When the VO pressed on how they communicated, here were some of SO's replies:

1. By emails (The SO thought emails is the a new and magical communication medium. For me, it's truly magic.).

2. Use electronic translators (English to Chinese for SO and Chinese to English by her husband).

But when the VO kept on pressing for more proof of communication and relationship, here are some of the SO's replies:

1. Language of love is more powerful than written or verbal.

2. Ability to speak and communicate in same language doesn't mean proof of good relatiionship. There is plenty of failed and faked relationships even between people of the same language. She pointed out to her own first marriage and that of the American husband's first marriage, that they all failed and ended in divorces despite the common language. And that's because the relationships were not based on the language of love, respect, and harmony.

The VO must have been quite emotioned and struck by the depth of the answers. The SO got the red slip (i.e. passed).

The interview was done in Chinese.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)
Feng is in school for English but she has expressed her difficulty with learning and practicing. I set up an online email account for Feng at <address deleted>  I hired a translator with computer skills in Shanghai  to pick up the emails for Feng, translate them and give them to Feng. She writes her responses, which are then translated back into English and sent back to me. I practice Mandarin with the Pimsleur Mandarin CD's and I practice with some of my Chinese students (Tai Chi) On my 4th lesson, I actually understood the dialog between two Mandarin speakers. I was very happy. I have 90 - 45 minute lessons, so I have 86 more to go.

I will post more information soon. I have to figure out how to post my timeline. Thank you for your kindness.

Patrick (Chinglung)

190002[/snapback]

Talking about translators and translating emails, it reminds me of what my laopo overheard a conversation between an SO and the VO during my laopo's interview last October. The SO did not know much English and her US husband knew hardly any Chinese. Apparently there was little phone calls communication. When the VO pressed on how they communicated, here were some of SO's replies:

1. By emails (The SO thought emails is the a new and magical communication medium. For me, it's truly magic.).

2. Use electronic translators (English to Chinese for SO and Chinese to English by her husband).

But when the VO kept on pressing for more proof of communication and relationship, here are some of the SO's replies:

1. Language of love is more powerful than written or verbal.

2. Ability to speak and communicate in same language doesn't mean proof of good relatiionship. There is plenty of failed and faked relationships even between people of the same language. She pointed out to her own first marriage and that of the American husband's first marriage, that they all failed and ended in divorces despite the common language. And that's because the relationships were not based on the language of love, respect, and harmony.

The VO must have been quite emotioned and struck by the depth of the answers. The SO got the red slip (i.e. passed).

The interview was done in Chinese.

192120[/snapback]

Hello bubbafred10:

Thanks for that post, I was beginning to think that all the emails Feng and I wrote didn't stack up to a hill of rice. I always felt while growing up that writing letters was a romantic thing to do. When snail mail takes up to 4 weeks to get, emails seemed the best way to go. I just received my mom's BD card from Feng two days ago, it was mailed on January 19th.

When I first started writing Feng emails, I set up an email account so that in the future, a VO could access the account to see the emails while on line.

I only wish we had video (v-mail) as well.

Thanks again for sharing that information.

Chinglung

Hello Patrick:

I would just like to add my 2 cents worth, which is worth about 2 cents. I'm new at this as well. I will just say, hang in there and never give up. An old friend once told me that tenacity and perseverance are two forces that cannot be defeated. I have always believed that. Also, the love between you and your SO will enable you to overcome. You WILL be a winner.

Ron :D

Hello Patrick:

I would just like to add my 2 cents worth, which is worth about 2 cents.  I'm new at this as well.  I will just say, hang in there and never give up.  An old friend once told me that tenacity and perseverance are two forces that cannot be defeated.  I have always believed that.  Also, the love between you and your SO will enable you to overcome.  You WILL be a winner.

Ron :whistling:

192412[/snapback]

Hello RLS:

Thank you for your comments. I am a very patient person, so I can persevere. I feel bad for my girlfriend Feng as this is more trying for her. Fortunately, I have King in my corner. I'm waiting to find out from GUZ if they sent my file stateside. I know what has to be done after I have the information.

I am newer to this than I believe you may be. It is hard to fathom why it is so much trouble with GUZ when Immigration and NVC approved the earlier steps.I thought GUZ was to investigate my SO for medical, criminal and logistical information.

I thought that there are laws that GUZ has to follow, not only their interpretation. When GUZ asks for more documents, I don't understand how it will change the facts. I am only hoping that someday soon, I will be on the other side of the fence giving advice to someone in need of help.

Patrick (Chinglung)