New Question

We just found out baby number 2 will be here in about 9 months and are starting to make some decisions. Diana wants to have this baby in China, but she is worried about the 6 month time limit on her greencard. Does anyone know if the USCIS allows people to stay longer than 6 months for things like babies or not?

The time limit for an LPR is 1 year from what I can see, if she would be gone near or longer than that amount of time you would need to apply for a Re-Entry Permit. They suggest this should be applied for before leaving the US

You would use the I-131 to file for the permit, if needed.

188102[/snapback]

that's what I thought too, but I've been hearing things about 6mths time periods. Do you know anything about that?

The child can be born in China and receive a US passport from the consualte since one of the parents is a USC. Neither country allows dual citizenship, but in the case of a child where the decision is made for them at birth they are able to choose the country of their citizenship up to their 18th birthday.

Diana wants to have this baby in China, but she is worried about the 6 month time limit on her greencard.  Does anyone know if the USCIS allows people to stay longer than 6 months for things like babies or not?

188084[/snapback]

Help me understand the question. Does '6 month time limit...' mean her green card expires in 6 months and you want to know if she can leave the US and then return more than 6 months later, after the green card is expired?

Diana wants to have this baby in China, but she is worried about the 6 month time limit on her greencard.  Does anyone know if the USCIS allows people to stay longer than 6 months for things like babies or not?

188084[/snapback]

Help me understand the question. Does '6 month time limit...' mean her green card expires in 6 months and you want to know if she can leave the US and then return more than 6 months later, after the green card is expired?

188895[/snapback]

Something about not being gone for more than 6 months for the conditions to become a citizen and possibly keeping the greencard. We have now learned that there is a one year time limit that can not be excededed without travel documents for permanent residents. And if she is gone between 6 months and 1 year she can still apply for citizenship. She only has to be here 90 days prior to applying.

So 91 days after she gets back we will be going down the road of citizenship.

If you already know she's preggers, you've got less than 9 months mate. :)

188477[/snapback]

She plans to stay there about 9 months, few before birth and 2 or 3 after. Cravings for real Chinese food are at an all time high already and the first month is not even finished yet. B) :blink: :lol:

188893[/snapback]

Funny, I was living in China and developed an aversion to Chinese food the first couple months!

If you already know she's preggers, you've got less than 9 months mate. :clapping:

188477[/snapback]

She plans to stay there about 9 months, few before birth and 2 or 3 after. Cravings for real Chinese food are at an all time high already and the first month is not even finished yet. B) :blink: :lol:

188893[/snapback]

Funny, I was living in China and developed an aversion to Chinese food the first couple months!

188937[/snapback]

Well she is Chinese! :)