how long to wait for a SNN

I know this has been discussed a lot here, so I am sorry to ask again, but I am too mad to search for the answer... My question, how long is the standard wait for a SSN? We applied 3 weeks ago and were told it would take less than 2 weeks. We were told to contact them if we didn't get it in that time. I just called and they said, "For people born outside of the US, the wait is 4 to 6 weeks". When we applied, we got a letter saying we would have it in 2!

I kinda lost my temper on the phone. I said, "I have lived in China for 3 years... It's a BIG COMMUNIST government... It works much more efficient than you guys!" That probably didn't help matters.

This is so annoying. She got here 2 months ago. She can't work. She can't get on my bank account. She can't do a lot of things without that number. I can't file my taxes (I am getting a full refund this year... But of course, I still have to pay SS)... Well, at least she is hear.

You can go to your local office and they can give you a printout

of the number.

You will need your wife, first recipt from SSA, and her passport along

with any other form of ID.

SSA will not do anything for you over the phone.

We are going through the same thing.

We have the number but not the card. Were were told

"INS hasn't released the card yet". Now that we have

passed 90 days since POE, we have to wait on AOS/EAD.

I assume it is related to work authorization/green card

approval.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

They told me that the number wouldn't even be issued for 4 to 6 weeks. In the office, when we applied, the told us to go back the next week and we could get the number. Now they are telling us 4 to 6 weeks... My wife is going there tomorrow to see what she can find.

They told me that the number wouldn't even be issued for 4 to 6 weeks. In the office, when we applied, the told us to go back the next week and we could get the number. Now they are telling us 4 to 6 weeks... My wife is going there tomorrow to see what she can find.

187434[/snapback]

I think we waited almost a month before we went back for

a second visit to get the number.

I'm at work and the papers are home.

For the bank; you should put her name on your bills/utilities

after you get the number. That is what a I had to do with my

bank to get her on my accounts.

Good Luck

Bank of America said that she couldn't be put on the account unless she had a SSN. When I left China, I wanted her to be able to have access to our money. I knew we would be apart for a few months and didn't want to worry about her financial situation. I contacted BofA and asked to be issued a second debit card. They said they could only do that if she was on the account, and she can only be on the account if she has a SSN.

She can't do a lot of things without that number. I can't file my taxes 187431[/snapback]
We got screwed by SSA not issuing Quan a number when we applied during the K1 window, and then got shut out from getting it until we received the GC. They are absolutley the poorest govt office that we've had to deal with through this whole process.

That being said, I was able to get many things done without her having a number. I added her to my bank acct (Bank of America), health/life insurance, and got her in-state tuition for school. For taxes, you can get her a taxpayer id to use in place of SSN for this tax year's return. The biggest obsticle for us not having the number was the inability to pursue a driver's licence/permit/id.

However, once we applied for SSN after the GC arrived, the physical card arrived within a week.

Edited by tonymasiello (see edit history)

Our Social (IN)Security dept is definately one of the most screwed up depts in our govt. You could easily go there 5 times, talk to 5 different people and get 5 totally different answers to the same question.

3 "workers" got involved in our case when we first applied for her card because the first lady wasn't sure of what to do and even with the help of her boss and the other lady, it still got screwed up!

We did get the card number after one month though and the actual card after 6 weeks.

NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO JUST GOT THEIR FIANCEE HERE - APPLY FOR THE SSN IN THE FIRST 90 DAYS or you will have to wait many months until after you get the green card!!!!!

Bank of America said that she couldn't be put on the account unless she had a SSN. When I left China, I wanted her to be able to have access to our money. I knew we would be apart for a few months and didn't want to worry about her financial situation. I contacted BofA and asked to be issued a second debit card. They said they could only do that if she was on the account, and she can only be on the account if she has a SSN.

187440[/snapback]

You shouldn't have a problem ordering a credit card

in her name.

I keep my wife's in my wallet. :lol:

We were told that the DHS computers at the POE and the SSN computers are linked, hence the reference to 'someone outside the US.'

Soc Sec will not issue the card until the I-94 data shows up on their system.

Go down to the office, in person, and ask again. Make sure you have her passport with the I-94.

We went to the local SSA office here in Portland and had no problems what so ever. Bing's SS card came about 4 days after our visit. Others I know here have gone to the same office with a different result. They have no clear directives on K-1 visas. As I understand it you must by federal law have a SSN to have a bank account. Even to be put on an existing bank account. This is to prevent money laundering. Sounds to me like the USCIS hasn't updated her info into the computer so the SSA can access it.

I found several sites with information that SSN is not required to open a bank account. The actual CIP Federal Regulations are part of the Patriot Act, but the actual legal documents are a bit hard to read. This guide was made for foreign students, but I believe the same laws apply for anyone. It does allow banks to establish their own requirements for identity that MAY be above and beyond the requirements of the law.

http://www.nafsa.org/knowledge_community_n...ense_taxes/bank

Opening a Student Bank Account

Included in this resource is information to provide to students to assist them as the apply for a social security number, an individual taxpayer identification number, and a bank account.

Banks’ Customer Identification Programs (CIPs)

U.S. financial institutions are required to verify the identity of every individual who opens a bank account. In compliance with federal regulations, all banks operating in the United States have established Customer Identification Programs (CIPs) that they are to follow for anyone who seeks to open an account. The following minimal information that the banks must obtain from you before allowing you to open an account are:

* Your name

* Your date of birth

* Your street address – no P.O. Box

* An identification number

An identification number can be one or more of the following:

* A taxpayer identification number (see discussion below);

* passport number and country of issuance;

* alien identification card number; or

* number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard.

It is important to remember that banks establish their own CIPs and may ask for additional documentation than is described above because they are ultimately responsible for establishing the identity of their customers.

Documentation to Bring with You

Documents you should take with you to open your account:

* Your unexpired passport

* Your I-94 card

* Your I-20, DS-2019, or I-797 approval notice

* Any secondary form of identification you may have

* Form W-8 BEN if you are a student not eligible for a SSN or ITIN

* Letter from your institutions ISSS office (optional)

To assist you, your institution's ISSS office may provide you with a letter to the bank confirming your status at [your institution] and asking for their assistance in opening your account.

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

Banks are required to report any earnings you receive on interest earned on your account. For this reason they will ask you for a taxpayer identification number such as the Social Security Number (SSN) issued to those who work or the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to those individuals who are not eligible for a Social Security Number. Although the banks would greatly prefer that you already have one of these numbers, you can still open a bank account if you do not have one.

If you are eligible for a Social Security Number, we recommend that you apply for your Social Security Number as soon as possible. You are eligible for a Social Security Number if you are in a work-related nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, TN, R-1, J-1, or if you are an F-1 student approved for curricular practical training, optional practical training or have already secured on-campus employment. If you have already applied for the SSN before you try to open a bank account, you should take a copy of the receipt notice with you. The receipt notice can serve as additional documentation that can help establish your identity. As soon as you receive your SSN, you should inform your bank.

If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number, you should apply for an ITIN and, once it is assigned, inform your bank of this number.

If you are an F-1 student who is not employed, you are not eligible for a Social Security Number. You must apply for an ITIN through the IRS instead.

ITIN application procedures require that you present evidence that you own an interest-bearing bank account. You cannot obtain an ITIN until you can establish that you have opened an account with a bank.

Once you have submitted your ITIN application, it will take the IRS approximately 4 to 6 weeks to assign you a number. If your the bank account does not pay any interest, then you must wait to file for your ITIN when you file your required tax forms in April.