I-864 Affidavit of Support

I haven't done my taxes for 2005 yet, and I am planning to file my I-485 soon. Is my 2005 income tax return required, or am I okay with 2002-2004 tax returns? I'm wondering if I should rush my 2005 tax return, in case I'm missing some information that is sent me later (like bank interest form, etc). I don't have a complicated return, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem anyway. Just wanted someone's opinion on whether or not 2005 would be required. I'm guessing I should try to finish my 2005 form, so I can avoid an RFE.

I would think they will ask for 2005 taxes in the AOS process, with the number of people receiving AOS without an interview lately, not having them in the package might cause an RFE or force an interview so they could get a copy.

Seems like current tax return has been one of the main interview requests for AOS.

I am in the process of filling out the I-485 forms too and was planning on using the last three years of tax returns and not this year. But it sounds like the safest thing is to do this year's return and use them too. I am just waiting for the insurance coverage from work to start for Liwen because that will cover the cost of the vaccinations that she needs to get. I will file the EAD at the same time.

If you can reasonably complete your 2005 return before you need to file, then by all means include it. Otherwise, include your 2002-2004 returns, and have copies of your 2005 return ready for the interview or an RFE. It is certainly reasonable not to have the current year return if your filing the I-485 early in the year.

I haven't done my taxes for 2005 yet, and I am planning to file my I-485 soon. Is my 2005 income tax return required, or am I okay with 2002-2004 tax returns? I'm wondering if I should rush my 2005 tax return, in case I'm missing some information that is sent me later (like bank interest form, etc). I don't have a complicated return, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem anyway. Just wanted someone's opinion on whether or not 2005 would be required. I'm guessing I should try to finish my 2005 form, so I can avoid an RFE.

187212[/snapback]

I do not know about CA, but in my state, the law requires all necessary tax forms (including W-2 Form, bank interest form, dividend form, capital gains/loss form, etc.) be sent to taxpayers' residences by 1/31/06. In other words, taxpayers should have all the forms needed to file their tax returns.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

We have an AOS interview March 3.

IRS deadline is April.

I definitely won't have my tax papers done by the interview.

My accountant is busy and will not work on them until April.

I have a business besides being employed and any filing early puts me more at risk for being audited - costing me more money.

If my letter from my employer isn't enough for 2005 I don't know what would be. I make way over the minimum requirement.

They will get 2002, 2003, 2004.

If you don't send 2005 you will surley be asked for it at the interview. Thats no problem but as many are getting the green card without an interview--I'd be sure to include 2005 to enable at least a 'chance' of no interview. Without it you have no chance of an interview free AOS!

Any Tax Prep service can get it done in next couple of weeks... the form is very specific in asking for your last 3 years returns..... that now includes 2005.... I need to do mine too, and am headed to H&R Block now... that is not an endorsement of that tax service, though I use them every year...

good luck

Yup, didn't konw to check this post until it's too late, I'd already e-filed. I guess I will just file an amended 1040X later and attach the correct letter. Based on whatw I've read, it appears nothing else would change on my form (in terms of refund/etc).