Obtaining a SSN

Ok....Am I to understand that 90 days after her entry into the U.S., my wife cannot get a SSN based on just her K-1? That she will need the EAD now? She came here Aug. 19th. and the end date on the I-94 is Nov. 15th. I went to a SS office and that is what the "lady" told me at the local SS office. She said the K-1 was expired and that my wife was here illegally. Can you beleive that? ;) I almost luahged in her face. When I said thank you (for nothing...I felt like saying that )and we got up to leave, she actually grinned at us like she was satisfied we didnt get what we came for. Will I have to wait for the 1-485 to be processed to get the SSN?

Ok....Am I to understand that 90 days after her entry into the U.S., my wife cannot get a SSN based on just her K-1? That she will need the EAD now? She came here Aug. 19th. and the end date on the I-94 is Nov. 15th. I went to a SS office and that is what the "lady" told me at the local SS office. She said the K-1 was expired and that my wife was here illegally. Can you beleive that?0„2 ;)0„2 I almost luahged in her face. When I said thank you (for nothing...I felt like saying that )and we got up to leave, she actually grinned at us like she was satisfied we didnt get what we came for. Will I have to wait for the 1-485 to be processed to get the SSN?

186301[/snapback]

That is my understanding, also. The K-1 is a valid work authorization for 90 days only. Apparently, these days they require that work authorization in order to get the SS number, in spite of the flyers they hand out at the POE extolling the virtues of having a number and how it is needed for financial dealings, etc., etc.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

After the K-1 lapses, your spouse has two choices: 1) wait for the I-485 to process, get the green card, and then get the SS card or 2) go ahead and apply for the EAD now, pay the fee, get the EAD, and then apply for the SS card. Technically, EADs are supposed to be issued within 90 days of filing. If not issued by then, you can usually get an interim EAD on the spot locally which then can be used to get your SS card.

Some folks also think you can get a SS card even if you're not authorized to work.

Some folks also think you can get a SS card even if you're not authorized to work.

186312[/snapback]

The SS application form says that either a specific work authorization (such as the K-1) or a letter from a government agency REQUIRING an SSN is required.

It's not clear how this would work when getting a driver's license in a state which requires a SSN for the DL, for example.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This is another aspect of the visa process that is not mentioned anywhere in the application process. You would think that the USCIS would mention at least once somewhere in the huge pile of paperwork that they have you fill out 3 times that you should apply for a SSN within the 90 days!! They reminded us to get married within the 90 days at our POE but didn't say $hit about getting a SSN. (that is, after all, another department!!) :angry:

I took it upon myself to get her the SSN card and if I hadn't, I might be in your same situation. I have heard of people who waited past the 90 days and then had to wait until the AOS was approved.

We have the SSN but not the card.

SSA says the card was mailed out twice (second request

after not getting the card the first time).

My wife talked to a Cantonese speaking rep via phone and was told to

go to the office. Once in the office, the rep put an order in

for the card to be delivered to the office but the order did not go through.

Reason; she said INS will not authorize it and we will get it once the EAD goes through. Her I-94 expired on 01/12.

We went through almost the same thing with the Ca DMV as they

would not issue an ID because the I-94 would expire in less than 30

days. "Come back with the green card."

It was a quiet ride home.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)