The Name Thing

My wife's name is Lu Li. When we married in Las Vegas, where they will NOT do a name change for you, they insisted she be Li Lu on the marriage certificate. So from there everything we have applied for here, SS#, AOS package, credit cards, etc, etc has been for Li Lu. Now I'm ready to book tickets to return to China this year and I'm thinking Li Lu is fine for leaving the US but what about when we are ready to leave China and the official looks at her Chinese passport, Lu Li, her ticket, Li Lu, and decides that this is not the same person. I have been through a wrong name ticket fiasco in China before and I find that officials there have little humor when it comes to any inconsistencies in documents. Any ideas on this from CFLland? :lol:

My wife's name is Lu Li. When we married in Las Vegas, where they will NOT do a name change for you, they insisted she be Li Lu on the marriage certificate. So from there everything we have applied for here, SS#, AOS package, credit cards, etc, etc has been for Li Lu. Now I'm ready to book tickets to return to China this year and I'm thinking Li Lu is fine for leaving the US but what about when we are ready to leave China and the official looks at her Chinese passport, Lu Li, her ticket, Li Lu, and decides that this is not the same person. I have been through a wrong name ticket fiasco in China before and I find that officials there have little humor when it comes to any inconsistencies in documents. Any ideas on this from CFLland?  :lol:

185997[/snapback]

Simple--book her ticket using the name on her passport!

My wife's name is Lu Li. When we married in Las Vegas, where they will NOT do a name change for you, they insisted she be Li Lu on the marriage certificate. So from there everything we have applied for here, SS#, AOS package, credit cards, etc, etc has been for Li Lu. Now I'm ready to book tickets to return to China this year and I'm thinking Li Lu is fine for leaving the US but what about when we are ready to leave China and the official looks at her Chinese passport, Lu Li, her ticket, Li Lu, and decides that this is not the same person. I have been through a wrong name ticket fiasco in China before and I find that officials there have little humor when it comes to any inconsistencies in documents. Any ideas on this from CFLland?  :lol:

185997[/snapback]

185998[/snapback]

But, but...her green card will be Li Lu. Won't we just be transfering the problem to leaving/re-entering the US rather than China??? :(

185997[/snapback]

185998[/snapback]

But, but...her green card will be Li Lu. Won't we just be transfering the problem to leaving/re-entering the US rather than China??? :(

186000[/snapback]

Interesting>>> i'm sure this has happened a hundred times. My wife's green card says Fang Ling Minnick but her passport just says fang ling. She ill be going to china in May. In the USA they check tickets against photo ID. I don't remember them doing this on the return in china. I'll use her full name for the tickets. she can use her green card for ID to leave and her passport to come back on????????????? If memory serves they only request the passport when clearing cuswtoms--nothing to do with the ticket!!

185997[/snapback]

185998[/snapback]

186000[/snapback]

Interesting>>> i'm sure this has happened a hundred times. My wife's green card says Fang Ling Minnick but her passport just says fang ling. She ill be going to china in May. In the USA they check tickets against photo ID. I don't remember them doing this on the return in china. I'll use her full name for the tickets. she can use her green card for ID to leave and her passport to come back on????????????? If memory serves they only request the passport when clearing cuswtoms--nothing to do with the ticket!!

186003[/snapback]

My x was a Japanese National. She had the same circumstances as your wife has on her passport and green card. Therefore, unless US custom has changed its policy, it is the name on the passport that is considered for reentry, not the green card. Also, as Trigg said above the passport name must be the same on the airline ticket and reentry is passport only...not airline ticket too.

Hope this helps!! :D

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

185997[/snapback]

185998[/snapback]

186000[/snapback]

186003[/snapback]

My x was a Japanese National. She had the same circumstances as your wife has on her passport and green card. Therefore, unless US custom has changed its policy, it is the name on the passport that is considered for reentry, not the green card. Also, as Trigg said above the passport name must be the same on the airline ticket and reentry is passport only...not airline ticket too.

Hope this helps!! :D

186010[/snapback]

problem with this is that when my wife got her green card they said they didn't need to stamp her passport--so she will have to show her green card on re-entry!! Perhaps the marriage cert showing her maiden name and her married name??????

Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. <_<

186013[/snapback]

I'm sorry friend but start swallowing... :lol:

"The Marriage Bureau does not enter the new last name of the bride or make name changes." from the instructions form, Clark County, Nevada, etc, etc. You can google it yourself. In Nevada they make getting married quick and painless, no blood tests, no divorce documentation, but they also don't do frills like name changes.

I just looked at the order form from www.paciasia.com which seems to have the best prices right now from our neck of the woods to China. There they ask for last name, first name and then further stipulate to give names EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON PASSPORT. So I guess that settles it - the passport rules... <_<

Yup Roger it looks like Trigg had good advice on this one.

The name thing can be quite a hassle. Ping just left her name as it was. No problems. I think of her that way anyway so it didn't seem like a big deal. Now I'm glad we did.

Perhaps no change is more common in California. Hispanics & Asians as well as many Gringos leave names as is here.

Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. :surprise:

186013[/snapback]

In Kansas there is only one place for names and that is the name you have before getting married. Any name change takes place when you update your SSN and State ID. Not a real official process if you ask me, but that's how it is done here too.

Guest pushbrk
Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. :whistling:

186013[/snapback]

In Kansas there is only one place for names and that is the name you have before getting married. Any name change takes place when you update your SSN and State ID. Not a real official process if you ask me, but that's how it is done here too.

186036[/snapback]

Yes, it is customary for official State marriage certificates to show the names officially used immediately before the ceremony. Then the bride determines whether to "keep" her own name or "take" her husband's name.

John Smith does not marry Jane Smith. He marries Jane Jones who takes his name (or not) and becomes Jane Smith (or not) after the marriage.

Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. :whistling:

186013[/snapback]

186036[/snapback]

Yes, it is customary for official State marriage certificates to show the names officially used immediately before the ceremony. Then the bride determines whether to "keep" her own name or "take" her husband's name.

John Smith does not marry Jane Smith. He marries Jane Jones who takes his name (or not) and becomes Jane Smith (or not) after the marriage.

186070[/snapback]

In TN the marriage license has her maiden name but the marriage cert has whatever name she chooses i.e with her new surrname!