K1: I'm living in China...

I've been living in China for about 3 years. And been with yingying for over 2 of those years. We started the K1 process over 9 months ago, and at this point we're just waiting for the P4. The two of us have been living together for over a year. We have a TON of pictures detailing our relationship... but we're lacking emails, phone records, tickets, and the usual stuff that I've been reading others have taken to GuangZhou with them for the interview...

Is ours a common situation? I think most people who live in China just get married here and then apply for a K3... but we, for some reason, decided to go to the States for the wedding...

Basically, my question is:

a)Are we going to be in trouble because of living together in China for a long time and ONLY having pictures to prove our relationship

b)What other things should we bring to prove our relationship?

I've been living in China for about 3 years. And been with yingying for over 2 of those years. We started the K1 process over 9 months ago, and at this point we're just waiting for the P4. The two of us have been living together for over a year. We have a TON of pictures detailing our relationship... but we're lacking emails, phone records, tickets, and the usual stuff that I've been reading others have taken to GuangZhou with them for the interview...

Is ours a common situation? I think most people who live in China just get married here and then apply for a K3... but we, for some reason, decided to go to the States for the wedding...

a)Are we going to be in trouble because of living together in China for a long time and ONLY having pictures to prove our relationship

184691[/snapback]

For starters, do you have anything joint? Bank accounts, leases, bills, etc?

I wouldnt foresee any trouble, if the relationship is real, its real. I would bring all the photos. They should already know you live in China. Anything you can muster that shows you have done any kinds of things together would be helpful. For pics, bring lots of pics showing the two of you with family and friends.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

The fact that you dont have emails and other things the rest of us do should not be a problem. I would suggest you focus on what you do have and make it convinceing. I have heard photos of SO family, with you, are good. Your names on joint accounts would also be good. If you dont have any open them. Document somehow what you have done in the time you have been married. Photos of a wedding in the U.S. ought to be great.

Yours is not a common situation.

Good luck to you.

My liang fen qian... Basically the VO's are looking for ways to tell real relationships from bogus ones in easy steps, so put together proof of a relationship that would cause great expense in money or time to fake. I would try to get as many pictures of you and your SO in as many different locals as possible. two people that have no feelings for each other are not going to travel to Beijing, shang hai, kunming, sanya, etc al together just to make a dossier of pictures. Any pictureswith family members of yours that have traveled from the states with her might be helpful.

strategically plan the setting of a proof of communication video if needed. maybe give a mini-tour of you apartment/house highlighting the things you purchased together.

Hope this helps

Guest pushbrk
The fact that you dont have emails and other things the rest of us do should not be a problem. I would suggest you focus on what you do have and make it convinceing. I have heard photos of SO family, with you, are good. Your names on joint accounts would also be good. If you dont have any open them. Document somehow what you have done in the time you have been married. Photos of a wedding in the U.S. ought to be great.

Yours is not a common situation.

Good luck to you.

184704[/snapback]

Um, I'm afraid pictures of a wedding in the USA would be both magical and a sure fire way to have the Chinese Citizen NEVER come to the USA.

Magical because the couple isn't married and have never been together in the USA. Sure fire trouble because they will have committed visa fraud by applying for a K1 visa when they were married.

The rest of the advice you're getting is really good. Don't worry. Be happy. :-)

yeah i think he typoed on usa marriage thing, but definitely anything joint would be good. I would also have any work history you have if you are a teacher or something...

The apartment video idea is a good one, talking to each other about purchases and such. Document the relationship heavily, and your time in china heavily.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

My husband said we can't have joint bank accounts in China. I just know the pin number to our card and the account is in his name.

On your application did you put your and your SO's address as the same? If so, then I would think it would be ok. They should know that you live together and therefore won't have emails and phone records.

As for lease agreements, a lot of things here just don't work like that. Our lease agreement is just a hand written piece of paper by the owner with our signatures on it. Nothing official looking at all. And utility bills, as far as I can tell, don't appear to be in anyone's name. Some lady knocks on our door every three months and tells me how much we owe for electricity and I pay her. But, the VO's live in China. They should understand such things.

We are the same way. But, we are CR-1. We only have a bunch of pictures. Nothing else. I can't think of anything else that will help.I do think the video is a good idea though.

184691[/snapback]

"TON of pictures" over the three years is worth the mother of all tsunamis of proofs. Yeah, all 3 years, to show first year lonely life and the last two years of photos with your SO. Add a few mails that were sent to you and your SO, to show the same same address. Any of those letters, say from your relatives and friends, mention anything about the relationship? If too personal, then just make copies of a few select phrases and tell VO that the rest are too personal. If not, get a few notes or letters from close reliable trustworthy friends. I think your Beijing friends are quite a bit more trustworthy and honorable than the ones from the south (that's what several people told me).

Uh, unless you get supremely unlucky and get a super dingdong visa officer for your case. I have read in CFL of someone whose two under 14 boys got rejected because the boys weren't requested to show the documents they brought while the parents were forbidden to attend the interview with the kids. It was resolved after 1 or 2 weeks of persistence at GUZ. I thought GUZ should have reimbursed him for the additional expense of staying in GUZ to correct the dingdong gummint mistakes. (Gummint=government bureaucrat.) Them gummint think they are the guardian of the Hall of Supreme Ineptness of the Forbidden GUZ.

Anyway, congratulations! Live long, be healthy, and prosper!

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

another idea (I have not lived in China for 15 years so I don't know if this is actually works) Don't you have to register with the local police as to where you are living--as I would assume your SO does also. Maybe you can see if you can get an official document for each of you stating address....addresses are the same...voila.

another idea (I have not lived in China for 15 years so I don't know if this is actually works)  Don't you have to register with the local police as to where you are living--as I would assume your SO does also.  Maybe you can see if you can get an official document for each of you stating address....addresses are the same...voila.

184752[/snapback]

Gang, Thanks for the input!! It's very cool having a community of people out there in Cyber-Land all willing to lend a hand and share! I'll be using several of your ideas!