Tourist visa ?

I am sure many of you have thought about this.

What's the take?

Can my SO in china get a tourist visa to come here, marry me and see?

Is it hard to get a tourist visa for chinese to visit America ?

183740[/snapback]

fogettaboutit

But, some have I hear. This has come up several times. But once you do file, there is almost no way she'll get a tourist visa here.

What's the take?

183740[/snapback]

fogettaboutit

But, some have I hear. This has come up several times. But once you do file, there is almost no way she'll get a tourist visa here.

183744[/snapback]

how about getting her a tourist visa before we even marry and or file any documents?

What's the take?

183740[/snapback]

fogettaboutit

183744[/snapback]

how about getting her a tourist visa before we even marry and or file any documents?

183747[/snapback]

You can try. Chances are slim for ANY visa that isn't work related. And even those can take some time.

What's the take?

183740[/snapback]

fogettaboutit

183744[/snapback]

183747[/snapback]

I think you have a better chance at winning powerball, becoming president, and discovering life on pluto, all in the same day, than you have at getting her a tourist visa.

I think everyone here has asked the same question and gotten the same discouragement.

Thus: the next question you will ask is, do you file a K1 or K3?

My answer was: K1

A few women who had business visas were able to come but if a K-visa has been filed chances are slim to none.  It is nearly impossible for a single Chinese woman to get tourist visa.

183753[/snapback]

well my SO asked me, ...

I know that the way is to either get married or K1 visa however I do not know what to tell her as to why not a tourist visa....

I think we are asking for many troubles if we get a tourist visa then she comes here with her kid, we get married, .... I don't even know if we can get married if she is on a tourist visa, ... don't the state ask for a SS number to get married here which she wouldn't have?

Then once you apply for change of status, I can see the suspicion from the officer, ... sure, tourist, married, stay here, ... how lucky and give us 25 years to get the GC :P

Further more if the visa is denied, ..... applying for a K after that will look even more suspicious, ...

I am just not sure what to tell her

A few women who had business visas were able to come but if a K-visa has been filed chances are slim to none.  It is nearly impossible for a single Chinese woman to get tourist visa.

183753[/snapback]

I am just not sure what to tell her

183756[/snapback]

...........just tell her the truth. As Carl said, it is nearly impossible for a single Chinese woman to get a tourist visa. We can speculate what the reasons are, but the bottom line is, the tourist visa is for tourists.....people who will RETURN to China. Your own post says you would like her to come on a tourist visa and maybe marry, and that is the exact reason why they wont give the visa.

The US obviously believes that most Chinese who come to America with a tourist visa will NOT return to China........

What do you tell her? Telling her a bad truth is better than telling a good lie..............

What's the take?

183740[/snapback]

I have heard tourist visas are very very hard to come by for Chinese women unless they can prove they have a lot of money and a job they are sure to return to.

What's the take?

183740[/snapback]

I have heard tourist visas are very very hard to come by for Chinese women unless they can prove they have a lot of money and a job they are sure to return to.

184009[/snapback]

I dont know the exact criteria the consulates go by, but you are so right. They have some criteria that defines 'compelling reasons' to return to China.

Maybe it is a wife or husband back in China, or a child, or both, perhaps a big business, but they have to be very very strong reasons. I dont think that even a good job is enough of a reason.

I had a devil of a time getting my wife a tourist visa even after we had been married and living together in China for almost 1 year. This difficulty was in spite of the fact that we were both under contract on our jobs in China, had not yet filed any immigration petitions, and were planning only a 14 day US holiday. She did finally get the tourist visa, but only after several heated phone conversations and visits at GUZ.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a devil of a time getting my wife a tourist visa even after we had been married and living together in China for almost 1 year.  This difficulty was in spite of the fact that we were both under contract on our jobs in China, had not yet filed any immigration petitions, and were planning only a 14 day US holiday.  She did finally get the tourist visa, but only after several heated phone conversations and visits at GUZ.

184241[/snapback]

Then how can you explain the fact that there are thousands and thousands of Chinese tourists coming to America everyday? They all had to get their visas somehow.

I had a devil of a time getting my wife a tourist visa even after we had been married and living together in China for almost 1 year.  This difficulty was in spite of the fact that we were both under contract on our jobs in China, had not yet filed any immigration petitions, and were planning only a 14 day US holiday.  She did finally get the tourist visa, but only after several heated phone conversations and visits at GUZ.

184241[/snapback]

Then how can you explain the fact that there are thousands and thousands of Chinese tourists coming to America everyday? They all had to get their visas somehow.

187876[/snapback]

Predominetly tour groups. The group leader holds all of the passports. If someone bolts, they are in the US without a passport or proof that they entered legally. Not a good position to be in. If someone just wants to come and see the sights and then go back home, no problem. They get their passport back.

187913[/snapback]

Before Ying met me, she went on a tour to Thailand and Malaysia - her passport was in possesion of tour guide prior to departing China and not returned until safely back in China.

I have not been able to find much data on visa approvals/rejections - but I did find one GAO report from 2003. 40 percent of all visa requests, from China to USA are denied.

definition of an oxymoron = chinese tourist visa for a single woman.

if you get one let me know; I want your take on the powerball numbers for next Saturday; three stocks that will triple in price in the next month; the winner of the next Kentucky Derby and the MVP of next year's super bowl.

Phil