OK, heres my situation. I did a DCF through the Chengdu embassy and filed the I-130 plus a mountain of other papers on November 15th. On December 15th I got a notice from the Beijing main office saying they recieved my application, said it looked good, and forwarded it to the application center at the Guangzhou embassy. On Jan 7th I got a packet of documents from Guangzhou. They sent me a DS-230 plus a checkoff sheet. I got real sick last week and Im finally back on my feet and ready to tackle this. So....here are my questions.

1) My letter from Beijing was my NOA 1 (my first Notice of Action) and the 2nd letter + documents from Guangzhou was my 2nd NOA, right?

2) I have to fill out the DS-230. On the bottom of the paper it says "1 of 4" and the back (its double sided) says "2 of 4." There is no 3 or 4 of 4. Whats up with that? Is that the DS-230 part two that comes later?

3) Do I (Alec, the American citizen, the petitioner) fill out a DS-230 as well, or only one for Elf (my wife, Chinese citizen, the beneficiary)?

4) On the instructions, it says: "Complete and send the enclosed form DS-230 Part 1, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration as well as this document (Form 169). Obtain the following documents on his checklist that pertain to you. As you obtain each document, check the box before each item. Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office, as well will have to destroy them. You will not be scheduled for an appointment until you sbmit these forms." OK, so basically this says I just need to fill out the DS-230 plus the checklist and send ONLY THESE TWO THINGS back to Guangzhou. The other things on the checklist (criminal record, marriage cert, 1-864, etc) need to be gathered but NOT SENT IN with the DS-230, I just need them for the interview. Is this correct?

5) Most important, where does the I-864 come into all this?

Im sorry I sound like such a stupid mook. This whole process is Hell On Earth and I dont want to mess up a single step. Thanks in advance for all your help everybody!

-Alec

Alec, what you received is known as P3, not sure what the letter from Beijing would be considered if it's an approval notice I would suspect it would be considered NOA2.

The DS-230 Part1 (page 1 & 2) needs to be completed for your wife. Due to the time lag between P3 and P4 you should check off the appropriate items on the OF-169 and get it returned to them quickly. Be sure to make a couple of copies of the paperwork you send to them.

Gathering of the certified documents and the I-864 are usually something people recommend doing once the P-4 arrives.

Also, congratulations.

OK, lemme make sure I got this right: I mail back my DS-230 and the OF-169 back to the Guangzhou embassy but nothing else. I get all the paperwork rounded up (I-864 + supporting documents, criminal history, birth certificate, etc). It should take a few months for the paperwork to get processed. This is the point where it goes to the USA's Visa Center. They do their thing, then they send me a P4 packet and set an interview date. Is this right?

Man I know this should be so simple and clear but its like my brain is on fire after reading all these forms and numbers. I researched, researched, researched for 3 months this summer, submitted the papers in November, and basically everythiing I learned went out the window. Its like I have to learn it all over again. Thanks for the help everybody.

-Alec

Frank once stated the following...

One thing I noticed is that USCIS also has an office in Guangzhou and Beijing.  I would be interested in knowing from those that actually filed DCF in China whether they filed directly with the consulate (true DCF) or filed with the USCIS folks located at the consulate.  This may be a distinction without a difference, but the knowledge would be good to have.

156079[/snapback]

---

which if I understand this correctly I think it means that the USCIS office in GUZ holds onto it and sets an interview.. so not really going to USA (proper) (???)

OK, lemme make sure I got this right: I mail back my DS-230 and the OF-169 back to the Guangzhou embassy but nothing else. I get all the paperwork rounded up (I-864 + supporting documents, criminal history, birth certificate, etc).  It should take a few months for the paperwork to get processed. This is the point where it goes to the USA's Visa Center. They do their thing, then they send me a P4 packet and set an interview date. Is this right?

Man I know this should be so simple and clear but its like my brain is on fire after reading all these forms and numbers. I researched, researched, researched for 3 months this summer, submitted the papers in November, and basically everythiing I learned went out the window. Its like I have to learn it all over again. Thanks for the help everybody.

-Alec

183492[/snapback]

Send back:

1) DS-230 Part 1

2) OF-169

And start collecting notarized:

1) Birth certs (no expiration)

2) marriage cert (no expiration)

3) police certs (only her) (bear in mind, this document expires in 1 year)

4) collect correspondence & relationship evidence i.e.

bank statements, photos, call records, receipts, etc.

When you get P-4, then do the I-864.

This means, get W-2's, pay stubs, any evidence

of assets (stocks, bonds, house, etc) and notarize the I-864.

Good luck dude

Frank once stated the following...

One thing I noticed is that USCIS also has an office in Guangzhou and Beijing.0„2 I would be interested in knowing from those that actually filed DCF in China whether they filed directly with the consulate (true DCF) or filed with the USCIS folks located at the consulate.0„2 This may be a distinction without a difference, but the knowledge would be good to have.

156079[/snapback]

---

which if I understand this correctly I think it means that the USCIS office in GUZ holds onto it and sets an interview.. so not really going to USA (proper) (???)

183497[/snapback]

David, my post related to the initial I-130 filing, not to what happens afterwards. I was wondering whether the initial filing in China was a true DCF or whether it was a filing with the USCIS in China (rather than with USCIS in the US). VJ notes that this is probably a distinction without a difference: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=dcf

"There has been some public confusion over the use of the term ¡°DCF¡±. Some Consular posts have been granted permission from Dept. Homeland Security to adjudicate (decide) I-130 petitions. This is ¡°true¡± DCF. Some Embassy complexes include a DHS office on the grounds, and DHS staff approve petitions submitted there. This process is transparent to the end user and the result is the same."

I don't really know what happens to the files after the P3 is received or whether NVC is involved at this stage. Others who have done DCF may be in a better position to explain what will actually happen.

Beijingjenny - So my application will never go back to the states, its all handled in GZ? Thats ... ok I guess. My brother works in a Congressman's office and he said he would give us a hand in expediting this whole affair, but if it just stays in GZ Im not sure it would help. What do you think? Actually, I should just open a new thread for this. Other people might like to know.

One thing I noticed - you had a fast turnaround from submitting P3 to getting P4 then the interview. I thought it took many months.

-Alec

p.s. Those are the two cutest kids I have ever seen! Congrats!

Edited by alec_bauserman (see edit history)

Once the petition is filed at a consulate, it stays at that country.

All petitions are approved by the USCIS office in Beijing (also called the Homeland Security office). If you file at a consulate elsewhere it is sent to BJ for approval. Once approved by USCIS in BJ, it is forwared to GZ for security check and scheduling.

So, you could file the petition in GZ, it is sent to  BJ, then back to GZ for the rest. Go figure.

171827[/snapback]

---

DCF at BJ is the fastest of all consulate filings... taking on average 7 months; while those at Chengdu closer to 8+...

Thanks, Alec! I of course think they are the most beautiful boys in the world.

Looking at my timeline, it took over six months from P3 to interview date. That part of it is pretty much the same as everyone else (in fact many who got theirs later were getting interviews earlier!). What is faster, MUCH faster is the approval of the I-130, which you have seen already.