Language for SO and her child ?!?!?

Hi,

My Chinese girlfriend and I are contemplating the process to have her come here to marry me.

She has a 5 years old daughter.

SO's written english is verry good but her spoken is not so good which is normal and her child isn't so good either, ...

So I know that they have english as a 2 nd language all over for adults but what do you do for children?

By the time she comes here she will be 6 years old and it will be the middle of Kindergarten's school year, ...

I am looking for personal experience for what you have successfully done to help the children and maybe parents learn english once they arrive here ?

Hi,

My Chinese girlfriend and I are contemplating the process to have her come here to marry me.

She has a 5 years old daughter.

SO's written english is verry good but her spoken is not so good which is normal and her child isn't so good either, ...

So I know that they have english as a 2 nd language all over for adults but what do you do for children?

By the time she comes here she will be 6 years old and it will be the middle of Kindergarten's school year, ...

I am looking for personal experience for what you have successfully done to help the children and maybe parents learn english once they arrive here ?

182872[/snapback]

Exposure, exposure,exposue. The little one is still within the window where she can learn a second language without an accent. Expose her to as much spoken englis as possible and let her pre-wiring take it's course!! Aslo, don't forget to have mom speak to her in chinese--she will master both languages!

Hello,

I can very much recommend the Pimsleur tapes and CDs (ESL for Mandarin Speakers). I bought my SO and her daughter the tapes on eBay ($19.95) then the full 16 CDs from Plurality Language (the best price I could find) for $169 (regularly $345). After I sent the CDs my SO told me the first HALF (8 CDs worth) of the comprehensive was on the $19.95 audio tapes!!! I also sent two CD players from Fry's Electronics ($14.95 each) and rechargeable batteries so my SO and her daughter could study independently.

CD comprehensive ESL for Mandarin Speakers:

http://www.pluralitylanguage.com/languages...se_mandarin.htm

Tapes from Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...42&fmt=AU&itm=3

I also took her a book 'Speak English like an American' that I bought at Amazon.com before I went to visit them.

Good luck.

-James

The child would have no problem learning English.  Your SO and you should encourage her to continue speaking Chinese.

182973[/snapback]

yes definetely, we are multilingual and I will encourage chineese.

We are already all bi-lingual in the family French and American so we'll have to be tri-lingual :D

I wasn more wondering if you all think that she can be just simply registered to Kindergarten (or 1st grade based on visa) or not.

Thanks

The child would have no problem learning English.  Your SO and you should encourage her to continue speaking Chinese.

182973[/snapback]

We are already all bi-lingual in the family French and American so we'll have to be tri-lingual :)

I wasn more wondering if you all think that she can be just simply registered to Kindergarten (or 1st grade based on visa) or not.

Thanks

182986[/snapback]

you won't have any problem getting her registered. Schools really have no choice in the matter antway but do remember that they get paid per child per day in school. she'll need her shot records!

182973[/snapback]

We are already all bi-lingual in the family French and American so we'll have to be tri-lingual :)

Thanks

182986[/snapback]

you won't have any problem getting her registered. Schools really have no choice in the matter antway but do remember that they get paid per child per day in school. she'll need her shot records!

182991[/snapback]

good point on the shots, I forgot that

I've been studying Chinese for 8 months. My daughter is part-time here (alt. weekends) and I teach her a phrase or two each time she is here. She is 10, and has yet to forget a phrase. I will speak to her in Chinese and she will respond in Chinese. A few years before, I taught her German phrases and she recalls those even after many months of not hearing it. It's absolutely amazing the way she retains information. I think it's criminal that our school system doesn't start teaching a second language in elementary school. Europe and Asia do, and they will leave us behind if we continue to let them...