Another translation question

Hi. My fiancee is from a rather small city in AnHui province and we have a question regarding getting some English translations. Not sure if we can get the translations done in her city or not. We are meeting in Shanghai in March (maybe we can get them done there). Anyway, here are my questions.

-How can she find a certified translator?

-Must the translation be typed?

-How long will it take?

-Must the translation be notarized? If so, is the notarization done in China or the US?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi. My fiancee is from a rather small city in AnHui province and we have a question regarding getting some English translations.  Not sure if we can get the translations done in her city or not.  We are meeting in Shanghai in March (maybe we can get them done there).  Anyway, here are my questions.

-How long will it take?

-Must the translation be notarized? If so, is the notarization done in China or the US

182018[/snapback]

I went to PRC goverment translator in Chengdu. In most major cities there are many of these services. Prices depend on your bargining skills

Time for Me: 1 week to have services performed.

Cost: Paid approx $25.00 USD, but I could return to get other documents for reduced cost, since they kept translation on file.

Typing: If I wanted to have people recognize it as an offivial document, and wanted to avoid questions at GUZ, I WOULD!

Notarization: IMHO, a notarization is a notarization. I had mine done in China. I wanted to have the translator and notary in the same hemisphere as GUZ was located. Just is case they wanted to see if they were "real" or not! I should also point out with the notarization I would have had to do, I would have lost my shirt with notarization, copying and then shipping back to China. IMHO, have it done in China!

Hi. My fiancee is from a rather small city in AnHui province and we have a question regarding getting some English translations.  Not sure if we can get the translations done in her city or not.  We are meeting in Shanghai in March (maybe we can get them done there).  Anyway, here are my questions.

-How long will it take?

-Must the translation be notarized? If so, is the notarization done in China or the US

182018[/snapback]

I went to PRC goverment translator in Chengdu. In most major cities there are many of these services. Prices depend on your bargining skills

Cost: Paid approx $25.00 USD, but I could return to get other documents for reduced cost, since they kept translation on file.

Typing: If I wanted to have people recognize it as an offivial document, and wanted to avoid questions at GUZ, I WOULD!

Notarization: IMHO, a notarization is a notarization. I had mine done in China. I wanted to have the translator and notary in the same hemisphere as GUZ was located. Just is case they wanted to see if they were "real" or not! I should also point out with the notarization I would have had to do, I would have lost my shirt with notarization, copying and then shipping back to China. IMHO, have it done in China!

182025[/snapback]

Thanks to all of you for the information. You are invaluable.

My girl thinks she can just go to her home town, get her docs,

and request one copy in Chinese and one in English, and both will

have a stamp on it. She just has to pay double the fee, she says.

Anyone able to verify this assumption?

182021[/snapback]

See the below post I just made. For her copies I suggest that you go to the Links and Resources folder, for Visa FAQ. Don't forget there are other agencies that will want more notarizied documents later (Such as AOS, State agencies for e.g. Driver's License, SSAN, Schools, etc)

I suggest that you read the Visa FAQ and then make a shopping list of what you exactly need. This will save both of you money, and headaches further down the road.

As I said to "bleowwheels," I used one service, paid them and then could return if I needed more copies later at a reduced cost.

Guest pushbrk

-How long will it take?

182018[/snapback]

182025[/snapback]

In the US, "notary" just checks identification and verifies the person named actually did the signing.

In China, it's a whole different ballgame. For official Chinese documents like birth certificates, divorce decrees and marriage certificates, what is required by the Visa process is "Notarial Translations". That means the translations are done at the notarial office and the "notary" certifies that the translations in English are in conformity with the Chinese document or the reverse.

Official English documents presented to Chinese authorities require such certification. This is most efficiently obtained in China unless the USC has access to a Chinese Consulate stateside.

Official Chinese documents presented to US authorities require the same kind of notarial certification.

English documents submitted to US authorities sometimes require notarization. In that case the notary certifies only the identity and authenticity of the signature.

While the Chinese beneficiary is obtaining their documents, I advise they get a minimum of THREE notarial copies of birth certificates and divorce decrees. If married in China, obtain three notarial copies of the Marriage Certificate. Bring two copies home with you and leave one in China with the beneficiary who may need it at interview time.

As for where. Whether you plan to marry in China or not, anybody (except probably Trigg, who is reputed not to be able to find his butt with both hands) can find the marriage office in their home town or nearest to it. Have the fiance contact that office and ask where to get the notarial translations and other needed documents.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)