• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

181024[/snapback]

color=red]HOT WATER DOUGH:[/color]

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups boiling water

181079[/snapback]

now is it a big deal to make the dough or is it the same as pizza dough just rolled out thin?

man im ready to go

181091[/snapback]

Nah...no big deal. I just wanted you to see that you can even make the dumplings by hand in lieu of buying the skins at your local asian market.

181094[/snapback]

oh...sorry Bill. Do not use pizza dough!! Second thought maybe, it would be an Italian fusion. Try both ways...why not!!! :D

181098[/snapback]

I would expect pizza or bread doughs to be problematic due to the rising agent for dumplings but ya never know.... It's a dumpling, no, it's a pork bun, no, it's a dumpling it's a "dumpbun" B)

Fusion: Is that like using Mexican flour tortilla wrappers for five spice crispy skin oven baked American chicken as a substitute for the Peking Duck Skin with wrappers??? :P :P :P

181136[/snapback]

Don't forget to garnish it with some avocado's and sour cream. Also, swap out the Spicy Dipping Sauce for some Hot Salsa. OK, it is getting late.

Actually, how about making a Ginger and Pork Stromboli...oh, please forgive me. Bill try the stromboli bit with the actual Chinese dumpling recipe and the spicy dipping sauce. Now that is fusion/confusion at its best... :P :P :D

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Dumplings!!! Every morning for breakfast... We buy them frozen at the Asian market or LeiQin hand wraps them. But, I'm growing tired of them. Seems they need to be 'kicked up a notch'....now, I like the idea of the corn tortillas with the stuffing and salsa!! And, if I can just get her to experiment...I found a package of Sereno Chilis in the refer tonight and I wonder what her plans are for those..

I know of TexMex dishes but a blend of Chinese and Mexican? Now there's some flavors that I doubt have never be blended.

Chef???

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

181024[/snapback]

color=red]HOT WATER DOUGH:[/color]

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups boiling water

181079[/snapback]

now is it a big deal to make the dough or is it the same as pizza dough just rolled out thin?

man im ready to go

181091[/snapback]

Nah...no big deal. I just wanted you to see that you can even make the dumplings by hand in lieu of buying the skins at your local asian market.

181094[/snapback]

oh...sorry Bill. Do not use pizza dough!! Second thought maybe, it would be an Italian fusion. Try both ways...why not!!! :D

181098[/snapback]

I would expect pizza or bread doughs to be problematic due to the rising agent for dumplings but ya never know.... It's a dumpling, no, it's a pork bun, no, it's a dumpling it's a "dumpbun" :)

Fusion: Is that like using Mexican flour tortilla wrappers for five spice crispy skin oven baked American chicken as a substitute for the Peking Duck Skin with wrappers??? :P :P :P

181136[/snapback]

Don't forget to garnish it with some avocado's and sour cream. Also, swap out the Spicy Dipping Sauce for some Hot Salsa. OK, it is getting late.

Actually, how about making a Ginger and Pork Stromboli...oh, please forgive me. Bill try the stromboli bit with the actual Chinese dumpling recipe and the spicy dipping sauce. Now that is fusion/confusion at its best... :P :P :D

181167[/snapback]

you have outdone yourself Chef thanks for the info :)

Dumplings!!!  Every morning for breakfast... We buy them frozen at the Asian market or LeiQin hand wraps them.  But, I'm growing tired of them.  Seems they need to be 'kicked up a notch'....now, I like the idea of the corn tortillas with the stuffing and salsa!!  And, if I can just get her to experiment...I found a package of Sereno Chilis in the refer tonight and I wonder what her plans are for those..

I know of TexMex dishes but a blend of Chinese and Mexican? Now there's some flavors that I doubt have never be blended. 

Chef???

181173[/snapback]

Alternative Chinese breakfasts:

1. Egg Soup. Poached eggs served in a bowl with sugar water and a few drops of oil.

2. "Glue Balls". Tan something in Potungwah. I've called them glue balls ever since I saw the name translated that way on a shelf liner at the Carrefour market in Chongqing. They are really stuffed rice flour balls. Sold frozen, cook them in boiling water, stirring until they float, then maybe 8 minutes more. I like the ones stuffed with a sweet sesame paste.

3. Noodles. Many many kinds available.

Chef's recipe looks good.

For some of you (like my hubby)who don't want fat pork can do the following to get juicy and tender filling:

Instead of add salt to the cabbage and squeeze out water, I put chopped cabbage directly into the meat. I usually first add ginger and green onion and soysauce (sometimes finely chopped dried shrimp, soak shrimp to tender before use)to the ground pork and mixing them up. Then add finely chopped napa cabbage directly to the pork (Prior to adding salt!!), add vegetable oil or sesame oil and mixing them together. Then add other ingredients and salt. This way, the natural moisture in the veges will be retained.

The trick is having the vegetable pieces coated with oil or fat, then the filling batch would not become too watery to wrap up. Of course, if you are using too much watery veges, this trick would not work. Also, it is better to use the inner part of the cabbage, and use more leaf than stalk to avoid excessive water.

If you are using lean ground pork, you can add a little Tofu (soybean bean curd), to ensure the tenderness.

My two fen worth. :D

Chef's recipe looks good.

For some of you (like my hubby)who don't want fat pork can do the following to get juicy and tender filling:

Instead of add salt to the cabbage and squeeze out water, I put chopped cabbage directly into the meat.  I usually first add ginger and green onion and soysauce (sometimes finely chopped dried shrimp, soak shrimp to tender before use)to the ground pork and mixing them up.  Then add finely chopped napa cabbage directly to the pork (Prior to adding salt!!), add vegetable oil or sesame oil and mixing them together.  Then add other ingredients and salt.  This way, the natural moisture in the veges will be retained.

The trick is having the vegetable pieces coated with oil or fat, then the filling batch would not become too watery to wrap up.  Of course, if you are using too much watery veges, this trick would not work.  Also, it is better to use the inner part of the cabbage, and use more leaf than stalk to avoid excessive water.

If you are using lean ground pork, you can add a little Tofu (soybean bean curd), to ensure the tenderness.

My two fen worth. :)

181262[/snapback]

Joanne...Wow, great suggestions above. In addition, when buying ground pork, (as you mentioned above), you may want to pick out a piece of pork at your market and have the meat guy ground it for you. This way you can actually determine the amount of fat content or what particular cut you are getting ground. In obtaining flavor, I prefer no less than a 20% fat in the ground pork. However, this may be a little high for your family requirements. Therefore, you may have your butcher gind a combination of pork loin with a little pork butt to give flavor that you are after. Hope these suggestions help. Just my "two cents" worth...hehe. :D

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
Joanna, My husband asked me to buy him some fatty pork along with the ground pork and he cut that up and mixed it in.

181444[/snapback]

Thanks for that tip. Along with Chef's. I will try that next time. I will go to a farmer's market to make my pick.

fei chang xiang.......Ahhhhhhhhhh..

My favorite??? Mmmm... "bao zi"

The dough takes a little longer, but, yep.

"ONLY FRESH"....no question. hands down

And a little extra dough in the center is correct.

Even if they do come out odd shaped, they don't last long anyway.