Dumplings

we ate dumplings 3 times while i was in china this time. i think i will admit moms dumplings are my favorite chinese food. i tried to get her to give me a recipe as she said something in chinese i repeated back to Chunyan a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

i helped fold them up and rolled the dough preparing the incredible little pockets of mouth watering goodness, i think i am ready to try it on my own.

does anyone know a good recipe for them?

i think mom puts ground pork, scallions, celery....

not sure what else....oh i wont be able to add the amount of love she adds but ill have to do with it for now :o

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://chineseculture.about.com/od/dumpling/

Dumpling recipes.

181025[/snapback]

have you tried any of these?

181029[/snapback]

Not yet. I think most people in this site are non-Chinese and male. So maybe you should try 001.

181033[/snapback]

What does that have to do with it Tony???? :P

I made my first jiaozi at Christmas time. They came out so good that my wife's friend said "these would be a good first try even for a Chinese". :)

They were good. Ground chicken with chopped green onion, salt, pepper and chopped young ginger. Being from the North I take her friend's compliment seriously.

Tony my wife and I split cooking duties and all of our home meals are Chinese cooking.

Since I don't know Pin yin, I will not embarass myself by trying to act like I do.

My last trip, my wife taught me how to ask for meat, and or, vegatable Balls, and or, Dumplings :P

Mom's were the best pork/veggie, dumplings. We enjoyed them all during the last new Year. However, this last trip, we were in Shekou. We found many different frozen dumplings that were wonderfull. I only wish I could find them here in the States.

Anyone have a link? I kn ow I read something in one of the airline mags, about chinese cousine delivered to your door in dry ice.

Signed,

Missing the Dumplings :)

By the way, it was just last night, that I told my wife about American Dumplings. I told her about the "Drop Dumplings." I make these and put into "Chicken and Dumplings," or my other serious West Virginia dishes. My all time favorite, is to cook Pinto Beans for a few hours with Ham. Near the finish of cooking, I add drop dumplings to the top of pot. Uuuuummm,Uuuummmm :P

we ate dumplings 3 times while i was in china this time. i think i will admit  moms dumplings are my favorite chinese food. i tried to get her to give me a recipe as she said something in chinese i repeated back to Chunyan a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

i helped fold them up and rolled the dough preparing the incredible little pockets of mouth watering goodness, i think i am ready to try it on my own.

not sure what else....oh i wont be able to add the amount of love she adds but ill have to do with it for now :huh:

181024[/snapback]

ok Bill...if you feel ambitious, (making home made dumplings), here is a dumpling recipe that I have used at numerous "Asian Theme" type parties that we have catered. They are always a big hit:

PORK AND GINGER FILLING:

2 cups chopped napa cabbage

1/2 tablespoon salt

1/2 pound ground pork (Don't get lean pork, the fat is good for juicy and flavorful dumplings)

2 tablespoons minced ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons thin soy sauce

3 tablespoons sesame oil

1 egg

1 to 2 cups chicken stock or water

Sprinkle cabbage with the 1/2 tablespoon of salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Place the cabbage on a clean dishtowel or cheesecloth and squeeze out any water. The dryer the cabbage the better. In a large bowl thoroughly mix the cabbage with all of the other ingredients, except the chicken stock. Cook a tester to check the seasoning.

HOT WATER DOUGH:

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups boiling water

In a stainless steel bowl mix flour and salt. Slowly add hot water to flour in 1/4 cup increments. Mix with chopsticks until a ball is formed and the dough is not too hot to handle. On a floured surface, knead dough until it becomes a smooth, elastic ball. Place back in bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour. Working on a floured surface with floured hands, roll out dough to form a long 'noodle', 1-inch in diameter. Cut 1/2-inch pieces and turn them over so the cut sides are facing up. Flatten with your palm and roll out thin using a rolling pin. The dumpling wrapper should end up about 3 inches in diameter.

MAKING THE DUMPLINGS: Place a small mound of filling in the middle of the wrapper. (Be very careful not to touch the edges with the filling as this will impede proper sealing of the dumplings. Nothing is worse than dumplings breaking during cooking.) Fold the wrapper in half to form a half moon shape. Starting on one end fold/pinch the wrapper tightly together. Proceed with this fold/pinch method until the dumpling is completely sealed. There will be approximately 10 to 14 folds per dumpling. Rest the dumplings with the folded edges straight up.

COOKING THE DUMPLINGS: In a hot saute pan coated well with oil, place pot stickers flat side down and cook until the bottom is browned. Have pan cover ready and add 1 cup of chicken stock, cover immediately. Be careful, the liquid will splatter! The stock will steam the pot stickers. Check them in 5 minutes as more stock may be needed. The trick here is that once the dumplings are firm and fully cooked the stock will evaporate and the bottoms will crisp-up again.

SPICY SOY DIPPING SAUCE:

1/3 cup thin soy sauce

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

1/3 cup sliced scallions

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sambal

Combine all and serve in a small bowl.

PLATING: Serve pot stickers on a large platter lined with lettuce with a bowl of dipping sauce on the side.

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
Since I don't know Pin yin, I will not embarass myself  by trying to act like I do. 

My last trip, my wife taught me how to ask for meat, and or, vegatable Balls, and or, Dumplings :)

Mom's were the best pork/veggie, dumplings.  We enjoyed them all during the last new Year.  However, this last trip, we were in Shekou.  We found many different frozen dumplings that were wonderfull.  I only wish  I could find them here in the States.

Anyone have a link?  I kn ow I read something in one of the airline mags, about chinese cousine delivered to your door in dry ice.

Signed,

Missing the Dumplings B)

181044[/snapback]

man i can taste um now :rolleyes:

i dont know where they make the best dumplings but i would have to say the north east where mom is from because they are for sure heaven.

we ate dumplings 3 times while i was in china this time. i think i will admit  moms dumplings are my favorite chinese food. i tried to get her to give me a recipe as she said something in chinese i repeated back to Chunyan a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

not sure what else....oh i wont be able to add the amount of love she adds but ill have to do with it for now :rolleyes:

181024[/snapback]

ok Bill...if you feel ambitious, (making home made dumplings), here is a dumpling recipe that I have used at numerous "Asian Theme" type parties that we have catered. They are always a big hit:

PORK AND GINGER FILLING:

1/2 tablespoon salt

1/2 pound ground pork (Don't get lean pork, the fat is good for juicy and flavorful dumplings)

3 tablespoons sesame oil

1 egg

Sprinkle cabbage with the 1/2 tablespoon of salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Place the cabbage on a clean dishtowel or cheesecloth and squeeze out any water. The dryer the cabbage the better. In a large bowl thoroughly mix the cabbage with all of the other ingredients, except the chicken stock. Cook a tester to check the seasoning.

HOT WATER DOUGH:

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a stainless steel bowl mix flour and salt. Slowly add hot water to flour in 1/4 cup increments. Mix with chopsticks until a ball is formed and the dough is not too hot to handle. On a floured surface, knead dough until it becomes a smooth, elastic ball. Place back in bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour. Working on a floured surface with floured hands, roll out dough to form a long 'noodle', 1-inch in diameter. Cut 1/2-inch pieces and turn them over so the cut sides are facing up. Flatten with your palm and roll out thin using a rolling pin. The dumpling wrapper should end up about 3 inches in diameter.

MAKING THE DUMPLINGS: Place a small mound of filling in the middle of the wrapper. (Be very careful not to touch the edges with the filling as this will impede proper sealing of the dumplings. Nothing is worse than dumplings breaking during cooking.) Fold the wrapper in half to form a half moon shape. Starting on one end fold/pinch the wrapper tightly together. Proceed with this fold/pinch method until the dumpling is completely sealed. There will be approximately 10 to 14 folds per dumpling. Rest the dumplings with the folded edges straight up.

COOKING THE DUMPLINGS: In a hot saute pan coated well with oil, place pot stickers flat side down and cook until the bottom is browned. Have pan cover ready and add 1 cup of chicken stock, cover immediately. Be careful, the liquid will splatter! The stock will steam the pot stickers. Check them in 5 minutes as more stock may be needed. The trick here is that once the dumplings are firm and fully cooked the stock will evaporate and the bottoms will crisp-up again.

SPICY SOY DIPPING SAUCE:

1/3 cup thin soy sauce

1/3 cup sliced scallions

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sambal

PLATING: Serve pot stickers on a large platter lined with lettuce with a bowl of dipping sauce on the side.

181079[/snapback]

thats it!

thanks Richard exactly what i was after... :)

the ginger is what i forgot

now is it a big deal to make the dough or is it the same as pizza dough just rolled out thin?

man im ready to go

Edited by izus (see edit history)

not sure what else....oh i wont be able to add the amount of love she adds but ill have to do with it for now :rolleyes:

181024[/snapback]

PORK AND GINGER FILLING:

1/2 tablespoon salt

3 tablespoons sesame oil

1 egg

HOT WATER DOUGH:

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

SPICY SOY DIPPING SAUCE:

1/3 cup thin soy sauce

1/3 cup sliced scallions

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sambal

181079[/snapback]

thats it!

now is it a big deal to make the dough or is it the same as pizza dough just rolled out thin?

man im ready to go

181091[/snapback]

Nah...no big deal. I just wanted you to see that you can even make the dumplings by hand in lieu of buying the skins at your local asian market. By the way, the Sambal ingredient for the dipping sauce is also bought at your local asian market. So, if the sauce is not hot enough, add a little more of the sambal. If you do not want the sauce to be spicy, lay off on the sambal. But, it will take away the flavor of the sauce. Finally, I use this dipping sauce for any other dim sum type food.

181024[/snapback]

PORK AND GINGER FILLING:

1/2 tablespoon salt

3 tablespoons sesame oil

1 egg

HOT WATER DOUGH:

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

SPICY SOY DIPPING SAUCE:

1/3 cup thin soy sauce

1/3 cup sliced scallions

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sambal

181079[/snapback]

thats it!

man im ready to go

181091[/snapback]

Nah...no big deal. I just wanted you to see that you can even make the dumplings by hand in lieu of buying the skins at your local asian market. By the way, the Sambal ingredient for the dipping sauce is also bought at your local asian market. So, if the sauce is not hot enough, add a little more of the sambal. If you do not want the sauce to be spicy, lay off on the sambal. But, it will take away the flavor of the sauce. Finally, I use this dipping sauce for any other dim sum type food.

181094[/snapback]

oh...sorry Bill. Do not use pizza dough!! Second thought maybe, it would be an Italian fusion. Try both ways...why not!!! B)

Here is a little trick that my Mother-In-Law taught me about making dumplings.

When rolling out the little rounds, you should roll everything to the center and create a thicker center about the size of your small finger nail. She says that will prevent the dumplings from getting a hole in the bottom, and all the filling from coming out.

I have yet to try it on my own, but that day will happen when my Wife is here to supervise!!!