Visa Entry Question

I am living in Nanning with my wife and presently have a double entry 90 day each entry. My first entry is up January 17th. Do I actually have to leave the country or is there a way around this? If I go to Hong Kong or Hanoi and return will that suffice? I would appreciate any helpful information.

I am now on my 470 day and not a glimmer of hope. If I go to Hong Kong I was thinking of returning through Guangzhou and attending the American Citizen program on Friday afternoon and discussing my situation. Any thoughts on this. I just noticed one of the lucky couples whizzed through in 204 days. How can a old man and a middle age librarian be screwed over so bad by bureaucracy. I know there are a few others hurting by this situation also. It can't be that hard to at least do a follow up on a extended file at let the petioner know where they stand.

I am living in Nanning with my wife and presently have a double entry 90 day each entry. My first entry is up January 17th. Do I actually have to leave the country or is there a way around this? If I go to Hong Kong or Hanoi and return will that suffice? I would appreciate any helpful information.

I am now on my 470 day and not a glimmer of hope. If I go to Hong Kong I was thinking of returning through Guangzhou and attending the American Citizen program on Friday afternoon and discussing my situation. Any thoughts on this. I just noticed one of the lucky couples whizzed through in 204 days. How can a old man and a middle age librarian be screwed over so bad by bureaucracy. I know there are a few others hurting by this situation also. It can't be that hard to at least do a follow up on a extended file at let the petioner know where they stand.

179958[/snapback]

Some have gone to HK and returned to re-trigger the visa-others have gone to the local chinese authorities (police) and had their visa extended. Either way it's no real problem!

I got an extension on my visa while in china... through the local police as Trigg mentions. This was quite cheap and easy to do since my SO had a friend who had a friend.. uh, I think you get the idea... A few packs of cigarettes as a token gift goes a long way.

The only catch is hopefully you registered yourself with the police for your current stay, otherwise you could face a fine (~~500 yuan) as part of it.

I needed an extension of a 30 day visitor visa while staying in Nanning.

My SO took me to a place near one of the Universities that she called 'the big police station where they process papers.' After talking with several officials one of them asked my SO 'what is his relationship to you?' 'Oh, OK, how much longer does he want to stay?' The option offered was to stay until the visa was granted but I only asked for 3 days.

If you and your SO want more info PM us.

I did not have any resident papers, but I did have to create some which the local police officials declined to do until the "big" police station people talked to them on the phone. I was not fined. Lucky, I guess.

Hmmm ... what is a "residence permit"?  The link above is broken.

Are you referring to registering where you are staying when you do not stay in a hotel?

Also for Yuehan 123: The relationship you explained to the police was that of a fiance?

180057[/snapback]

Thanks for the replys. This residence permit thing has me a little concerned. I never heard of it. I put my residence down when I went through customs and that is it. I also wonder on reading some of these threads like the Man fron Shenzen over a year in Namecheck and just now wondering about the time. I am going to Fax GUZ today and see if I get a reply. I think I have been in Namecheck since early July 05. I corresponded with my lawyer today and she said the time limit is about normal. "Yea Right" You can do the DD on these threads and see where some of us are being screwed over royally. Sorry to turn a Thank You into a prolonged ramble but I am sitting boiling mad over my treatment.

Hmmm ... what is a "residence permit"?  The link above is broken.

Are you referring to registering where you are staying when you do not stay in a hotel?

180057[/snapback]

Yep, That is it !! Once in Beijing, I was one day late registering and reminded was reminded that I need to register within 24 hours of arrival. When I registered, Ying needed to show her apartment lease agreement as her houkou was not Beijing.

At first I never registered, but changed my ways when I learned that if needed the PSB's help or assitance, - you had better be registered. It also is a good idea in case you or SO irritate own of the neighbors

but changed my ways when I learned that if needed the PSB's help or assitance, - you had better be registered. It also is a good idea in case you or SO irritate own of the neighbors

180065[/snapback]

Despite the abundant admissions of most here stating they do not register their stay... this may well be the most compelling point for doing it. (the neighbor issue may be the second best reason :D )

I changed my ways as well after my first trip...

When we went into the local station on my second trip, the man looked up and saw my wife (then fiancee) and called her by first name !! I later asked her if she called ahead or something.. she had not... He remembered us from seven months earlier...

but changed my ways when I learned that if needed the PSB's help or assitance, - you had better be registered. It also is a good idea in case you or SO irritate own of the neighbors

180065[/snapback]

Despite the abundant admissions of most here stating they do not register their stay... this may well be the most compelling point for doing it. (the neighbor issue may be the second best reason B) )

I changed my ways as well after my first trip...

When we went into the local station on my second trip, the man looked up and saw my wife (then fiancee) and called her by first name !! I later asked her if she called ahead or something.. she had not... He remembered us from seven months earlier...

180082[/snapback]

I am going to Shanghai (for 5 days) and HuangShan City (for 7 days) in March. In both cases, I will be staying at hotels. This will be my first time in China and I will be going on a single entry tourist visa. Do I need to register at the PSB? And what exactly is the "PSB"?

PSB = Public Security Bureau. You do not need to go to the headquarters of PSB, just a branch office will do the job (pai chu suo).

It is a good idea to register at PSB (and pay something like 20 RMB). But if stay in a hotel, you do not have to. Just make sure the hotel can accept foreigners as guests (like most 3 star hotels and above).

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
PSB = Public Security Bureau.  You do not need to go to the headquarters of PSB, just a branch office will do the job (pai chu suo).

It is a good idea to register at PSB (and pay something like 20 RMB).  But if stay in a hotel, you do not have to.  Just make sure the hotel can accept foreigners as guests (like most 3 star hotels and above).

180203[/snapback]

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Has anyone ever run into a problem registering staying in your fiancee's apartment? 

I can see the possibility of "laowei cannot stay with unmarried lady" ... and then what the heck do you do?

180221[/snapback]

Just tell them that you two sleep in two different beds. Moreover, tell them you have paid your rent and you just want to save a few hotel bucks. They will believe you. :blink:

Has anyone ever run into a problem registering staying in your fiancee's apartment? 

I can see the possibility of "laowei cannot stay with unmarried lady" ... and then what the heck do you do?

180221[/snapback]

Just tell them that you two sleep in two different beds. Moreover, tell them you have paid your rent and you just want to save a few hotel bucks. They will believe you. :)

180238[/snapback]

What about staying with my girlfriend (future fiancee) in a hotel room. is it necessary to get a room with two beds or two rooms?

Has anyone ever run into a problem registering staying in your fiancee's apartment??

180221[/snapback]

Just tell them that you two sleep in two different beds. Moreover, tell them you have paid your rent and you just want to save a few hotel bucks. They will believe you. :P

180238[/snapback]

What about staying with my girlfriend (future fiancee) in a hotel room. is it necessary to get a room with two beds or two rooms?

180288[/snapback]

Go with the flow :) I was married, the hotel workers assumed we were a businessman, secretary relationship. Two beds In every room we checked into. It doesn't hurt to have an extra bed you know. The money difference is nominal.