Proof of being single

Greetings All,

We're on the verge of deciding which route to go K1 or K3. I'm headed back to Guangzhou in a few weeks for another visit. If we decide to marry then and go the K3 route, I'd like to be prepared.

Does anyone know what sort of document the Chinese authorities in GZ will accept as proof that I've never been married? I've no clue where I'd get some official document here.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

Guest pushbrk
Greetings All,

We're on the verge of deciding which route to go K1 or K3.  I'm headed back to Guangzhou in a few weeks for another visit.  If we decide to marry then and go the K3 route, I'd like to be prepared.

Does anyone know what sort of document the Chinese authorities in GZ will accept as proof that I've never been married?  I've no clue where I'd get some official document here.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

179871[/snapback]

Since you're are going to Guangzhou anyway, just go to the US Consulate there and tell them you've never been married and need a Certificate of Marriageability. You will sign an affidavit, pay $30 and leave with the Certificate of Marriageability. Hours are Monday-Friday 9-11:30 and 1:30 to 3. Go to the American Citizen Services at..

5/F Tianyu Garden (II Phase)

136-142 Lin He Zhong Lu

Tian He District, Guangzhou

email guangzhouacs@state.gov

When I emailed GUZ on this in November, they suggested I bring my fiancee's Chinese ID card and proof of termination of her previous marriages, (if applicable). She'll need that to get married anyway.

Have your fiancee contact the local office that handles marriages to foreigners and ask if your Certificate will need to be translated and/or notarized. (It's both in Nanning.) She'll also want to ask what is required of her and assemble the appropriate documentation. If she is not a Guangzhou resident, she'll need to confirm whether she can be married in Guangzhou and if not, where. If it's someplace else, have her check with that office for the above requirements.

Once you're married, you'll need to take all those documents and your Chinese Marriage certificate to the local notarial service and get the Marriage Certificate translated and notarized. Get at least three originals. I left one with my wife and used one for the I-130. Will use the second for the 1229F.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

Please see the Chinese Consulate's web site for your location. In my case I went to http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/.

Here's what I had to do last year:

1) obtain a certified copy of my Divorce decree from the County Clerk's office

2) Sent that do the state capital were the Secretary of State's office for my state (Texas) certified that the county clerk is legitimate.

3) Prepared an affidavit as to my status as single

4) Had 3) notarized.

5) Sent 3) to the state's Secretary of State's office to certify that the notary is legitimate.

6) sent those documents and my passport to the PRC consulate (in my case Houston) along with a fee.

7) the consulate returns the documents with a cover sheet for each that is stamped. somewhere in that is a Certificate of Marriageability.

Now for the running around in Austin and Houston I used a courier service, as the PRC consulates don't work via the mail. The courier services act as your 'agent'. Any number of services are available to you and you can Goggle them for your area.

Good Luck.

Edit: Ah HA! Here it is: http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/fhjh/t53298.htm along with the format for the certifcation of singleness to be signed and notarized.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
Please see the Chinese Consulate's web site for your location.  In my case I went to http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/.

Here's what I had to do last year:

1) obtain a certified copy of my Divorce decree from the County Clerk's office

2) Sent that do the state capital were the Secretary of State's office for my state (Texas) certified that the county clerk is legitimate.

3) Prepared an affidavit as to my status as single

4) Had 3) notarized.

5) Sent 3) to the state's Secretary of State's office to certify that the notary is legitimate.

6) sent those documents and my passport to the PRC consulate (in my case Houston) along with a fee.

7) the consulate returns the documents with a cover sheet for each that is stamped.  somewhere in that is a Certificate of Marriageability.

Now for the running around in Austin and Houston I used a courier service, as the PRC consulates don't work via the mail.  The courier services act as your 'agent'.  Any number of services are available to you and you can Goggle them for your area.

Good Luck.

179882[/snapback]

That's another pain in the ass option that you COULD do minus items 1 and 2 that are not applicable for you since you've never been married. If you aren't near a PRC Consulate (you're not) then you could go to www.visarite.com and pay David a couple hundred bucks to accompish the same thing for you through the Secretary of State and PRC Consulate in NYC. That's what I did because it was cheaper in time and money than flying from Nanning to GUZ.

I gave the advice I did because you're actually going to GUZ anyway. :(

Also the other options require you to go to a lot useless trouble and expense, should you decide NOT to marry in China. If you decide to delay your marriage but still do it in China on another trip in the near future, you might consider getting the certificate on this trip anyway.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
Greetings All,

We're on the verge of deciding which route to go K1 or K3.  I'm headed back to Guangzhou in a few weeks for another visit.  If we decide to marry then and go the K3 route, I'd like to be prepared.

Does anyone know what sort of document the Chinese authorities in GZ will accept as proof that I've never been married?  I've no clue where I'd get some official document here.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

179871[/snapback]

Since you're are going to Guangzhou anyway, just go to the US Consulate there and tell them you've never been married and need a Certificate of Marriageability. You will sign an affidavit, pay $30 and leave with the Certificate of Marriageability. Hours are Monday-Friday 9-11:30 and 1:30 to 3. Go to the American Citizen Services at..

5/F Tianyu Garden (II Phase)

136-142 Lin He Zhong Lu

Tian He District, Guangzhou

email guangzhouacs@state.gov

When I emailed GUZ on this in November, they suggested I bring my fiancee's Chinese ID card and proof of termination of her previous marriages, (if applicable). She'll need that to get married anyway.

Have your fiancee contact the local office that handles marriages to foreigners and ask if your Certificate will need to be translated and/or notarized. (It's both in Nanning.) She'll also want to ask what is required of her and assemble the appropriate documentation. If she is not a Guangzhou resident, she'll need to confirm whether she can be married in Guangzhou and if not, where. If it's someplace else, have her check with that office for the above requirements.

Once you're married, you'll need to take all those documents and your Chinese Marriage certificate to the local notarial service and get the Marriage Certificate translated and notarized. Get at least three originals. I left one with my wife and used one for the I-130. Will use the second for the 1229F.

179879[/snapback]

It is important to mention, you send copies. Do not send origionals.

Dan, I would strongly recommend waiting to get married until after she arrives. CR-1 visa takes forever.

you need 4 signatures on your proof of singleness doc.

1. Notary from local poastal annex.

2. Notary from the county clerks office.

3. Notary from the D of S.

4. Notary from the Chinese consulate in the US.

They wouldn't even issue Amy a passport without a letter of intent to marry also.

Congratulations and good luck.