K-3 PROCESS THE BEST I CAN REMEMBER

Hi my name is Adam Childrss. Some of you know who I am and some of you do not. I met my wife through her cousin and talked to her online for 2 and a half years. I realized she was the girl for me and proposed over the web camera and flew to China at the end of May and got married at the June 17th in Hong Kong. A chinese wmen can get married in Hong Kong and the marrige will be recongnized in the U.S. When I came back t the U.S. I filed my I-130. It was approved then I started the very slow process of CR-1 it wasnt going very fast and then I heard aboout a K3 visa which gets your spouse here and then you can file the other paperwork that gets her her greencard. If you go the CR-1 route she will enter the US as a perminent resident. I thought who cares about her status I want her here ASAP. However the goverment told me it was to late to file a K-3. So i waited a couple months since my CR-1 was still at a crawl a figured so what I will burn the 150 bucks to file for k-3 and see what happens(I-130 HAS TO BE APPROVED IN OORDER TO DO A K-3) Well the k-3 got approved and mooved wrather fast. The k-3 interview takes place in the country you were married. Though HK is part of China it is a seperate institution thus our intervew was done in HK. The paperwork was sent directly to my wife in China and she had some agency in Taishan help her fill it out. She returned it and got her P-4. I went back for the interview on the day f the interview we picked up the medical check papers from the doctoors and gave the interview money for the bank. The interview was easy they talked to both f us and approved us. The next day we picked up the visa and were on our way here. HK is very fast and efficent and I recommend getting married there it is also cheap. Anyway feel free to post any questions in here and i will answere the best I can. Good luck.

The interview was easy they talked to both f us and approved us. The next day we picked up the visa and were on our way here. HK is very fast and efficent and I recommend getting married there it is also cheap. Anyway feel free to post any questions in here and i will answere the best I can. Good luck.

177206[/snapback]

So both YOU and your wife got interviewed together? I wish GUZ did it in this format, it only seems fair.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Larry

Edited by LiandLarry (see edit history)

Good to hear from you Adam. I wanted to add a couple of points of clarification regarding the interplay between the CR-1 and the K-3. A petition for the K-3 can be filed anytime after the NOA1 is received and before the priority date for the CR-1 visa. Since the K-3 can only be issued when an immigrant visa (read CR-1) is not immediately available, the conventional wisdom is that you can file for the K-3 up until that date (the date the immigrant visa is immediately available) and usually a little longer if the files haven't yet gotten to the consulate.

Most of us wish that GZ would allow both the petitioner and applicant to attend the interview as is done in a number of other consulates.

Adam -

could you update your timeline so we can see how long it all took?

If I had known that she could use the HK consulate if we married in HK, we would have married there. However, I thought she had to marry in the place where her household papers were from.

Adam,

My wife and I got married in Hong Kong by a Pastor of Island Baptist Church( he was a American Pastor) but I thought since she lived in main land China then we had to marry there to which we did,, but I filed my I-129F through China marriage and now is waiting on namecheck from NVC or who ever does it.Do I have stay with the GUZ consulate now or ask for a change and go through HK because it is taking so long????

Thanks,

Dan

Adam,

My wife and I got married in Hong Kong by a Pastor of Island Baptist Church( he was a American Pastor) but I thought since she lived in main land China then we had to marry there to which we did,, but I filed my I-129F through China marriage and now is waiting on namecheck from NVC or who ever does it.Do I have stay with the GUZ consulate now or ask for a change and go through HK because it is taking so long????

Thanks,

Dan

177302[/snapback]

if you get a marrige license from HK then its valid for the process which would take place in HK

Guest pushbrk
Adam,

My wife and I got married in Hong Kong by a Pastor of Island Baptist Church( he was a American Pastor) but I thought since she lived in main land China then we had to marry there to which we did,,

177302[/snapback]

Dan, It seems to indicate that you were married TWO TIMES??? Once in HK and again on the Mainland? Care to elaborate? If TWO, what marriage cert did you file?

177311[/snapback]

Not to mention that to be married on the mainland after legal marriage in HK, you would have had to lie and say you were single. When speaking of marriage in this context it is best to distinguish between "ceremony" and legal union. One is "marriage". The other is not.

I hope you were "married" only once.

Hi my name is Adam Childrss. Some of you know who I am and some of you do not. I met my wife through her cousin and talked to her online for 2 and a half years. I realized she was the girl for me and proposed over the web camera and flew to China at the end of May and got married at the June 17th in Hong Kong. A chinese wmen can get married in Hong Kong and the marrige will be recongnized in the U.S. When I came back t the U.S. I filed my I-130. It was approved then I started the very slow process of CR-1 it wasnt going very fast and then I heard aboout a K3 visa which gets your spouse here and then you can file the other paperwork that gets her her greencard. If you go the CR-1 route she will enter the US as a perminent resident. I thought who cares about her status I want her here ASAP. However the goverment told me it was to late to file a K-3. So i waited a couple months since my CR-1 was still at a crawl a figured so what I will burn the 150 bucks to file for k-3 and see what happens(I-130 HAS TO BE APPROVED IN OORDER TO DO A K-3) Well the k-3 got approved and mooved wrather fast. The k-3 interview takes place in the country you were married. Though HK is part of China it is a seperate institution thus our intervew was done in HK. The paperwork was sent directly to my wife in China and she had some agency in Taishan help her fill it out. She returned it and got her P-4. I went back for the interview on the day f the interview we picked up the medical check papers from the doctoors and gave the interview money for the bank. The interview was easy they talked to both f us and approved us. The next day we picked up the visa and were on our way here. HK is very fast and efficent and I recommend getting married there it is also cheap. Anyway feel free to post any questions in here and i will answere the best I can. Good luck.

177206[/snapback]

My CR1 will be forwarded to HK (because this is where I reside) ones we are finished with our case at the nvc. My 1-29F (where we got married) is stuck in Mla. It is for this reason that we decided to move on our I-130. Can you give me an idea how VO's conduct an interview in HK? And would you please tell me what do you mean by background check? Thank you. :)