Women call shots in domestic finances

Women call shots in domestic finances

Sun Xiaohua

2005-12-06 05:52

The stereotype that Chinese women wear the trousers when it comes to domestic finances has been proved true by a recent survey

The survey, carried out by Huakun Consumer Guidance Centre for the All-China Women's Federation, found that 77 per cent of married women are the decision makers when it comes to food, clothing and essential commodities.

More than 1,000 women aged 20 to 70 from eight cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Harbin were quizzed in the survey.

About 23 per cent of the surveyed women said that they could make an independent decision when making a major purchase like buying a house, car or other valuables. 77 per cent of women discussed big purchases with their husbands, but said their opinion was important.

Of the women, 46 per cent said they could spend their earnings as they pleased. Half of the women said they pooled their incomes with their husbands' and spent together, but only 2 per cent of women liked to give their money to their spouse.

"Every month, I am only responsible for the mortgage payment of our house, about 1,200 yuan (US$148)," said a 26-year-old woman from Nanjing, capital of East China's Jiangsu Province, who declined to give her name. She works in the marketing department of a company with a regular monthly salary of more than 5,000 yuan (US$617), plus bonuses. Her husband's salary is about 2,000 yuan (US$247) every month.

"My husband pays all the expenditures for our daily living, and I spend the rest of my earnings on clothes and accessories," she said.

Her words echo many others in the survey, in as much as women spend most on clothes, communications and travelling. Women aged from 31 to 40 are the biggest consumers.

(China Daily 12/06/2005 page2)

Well... after my last trip to china when I was explaining how she went over my budget, she made a list and did the math... incorrectly. I pointed that out and I knew then I was handling the money! So did she (lol). I keep a budget out about 10 years and have for a couple of years now. We'll decide expenses together, because we are a team, but I'll write the checks and balance the checkbook. She likes to work with cash anyway, so she'll just get her money each pay period in cash and it will work out okay.

About 23 per cent of the surveyed women said that they could make an independent decision when making a major purchase like buying a house, car or other valuables.

If you think about it, they should have surveyed how many "men said that they could make an independent decision when making a major purchase like buying a house, car or other valuables."

It would probably have been just as low of a percentage. I mean, I can't, or wouldn't buy a house or car without asking my wife.

My wife has started a "coin" collection.

It is interesting as I used to put my coins

in jars. Now they are stacked and sorted.

She has a business degree so I will put

her on my accounts after the first of the year.

She will probably do a better job than me.

174952[/snapback]

Interesting you bring this up. I have always kept a glass jar that I would toss my change in when I come home. When it got full it would be my mad money. Now there are 4 jars. One each for quarters, dimes , nickles and pennys. I'm curious to see what we will do with them once they are full. I would also bet she knows within 5 dollars how much is in them.

It would probably have been just as low of a percentage. I mean, I can't, or wouldn't buy a house or car without asking my wife.

I was thinking the same thing when I first read this. I would never buy a car or even something relatively small without consulting my husband, nor would he. Maybe it's because we run a business together too, but we always consult each other about how we will spend our money- because it is both of our money.

My wife got her first pay check from work. She doesn't know how to get the money. Once she gets it, she probably will spend it on lotions and clothes. Also, she wants to buy things for her younger brother in China. She thinks I have infinite source of money (totally the opposite). She doesn't try to find out my expenses.

Guest ShaQuaNew

There will be a period of transition for us after she arrives in which she will be learning about American technology, online banking, etc. Currently, she very cleverly inquires as to the things I buy and how much I pay. It will be a good mix for us because she is certainly more frugal than I about everyday things. She does seem to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to more significant purchases, like travel costs, and investments....

There will be a period of transition for us after she arrives in which she will be learning about American technology, online banking, etc. Currently, she very cleverly inquires as to the things I buy and how much I pay. It will be a good mix for us because she is certainly more frugal than I about everyday things. She does seem to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to more significant purchases, like travel costs, and investments....

175225[/snapback]

My wife has an ATM she can use at Bank of China. I pay like $3 per transaction, but its much cheaper than any other way.

I've had to explain to her only twice how to use it, and only because she forgot that she was pulling from checking not savings. (Why checking? I have no checks!).

She knows the basics of my monthly bills, and income, and she asks what I pay for things when I buy it. Often she reminds me it would have been less expensive in China (but I am not *in* China - lol), and I know the same of her expenses and income. They are very different to say the least! Of course life in GZ is a little different than a small northwestern hick town of 1600.