Pandemic Avian Flu

I just attended a business contingency planning lecture today on the topic of bird flu...which got me thinking about what would be the scenario for our SOs and their visa processing in the event of a pandemic.

- Would a pandemic cause significant delays in our SOs' visas in the event that the GUZ consulate is shutdown for weeks/months?

- Would the consulate possibly offer emergency visas to our SOs so they could evacuate to the States with us? or do they have to sit it out in China?

Just wondering if you guys have thought about your pandemic plans/how to protect you and your loved ones? Has anyone contacted the consulate about bird flu? Any insights on this topic and your plans would be extremely helpful.

I just attended a business contingency planning lecture today on the topic of bird flu...which got me thinking about what would be the scenario for our SOs and their visa processing in the event of a pandemic.

- Would a pandemic cause significant delays in our SOs' visas in the event that the GUZ consulate is shutdown for weeks/months?

- Would the consulate possibly offer emergency visas to our SOs so they could evacuate to the States with us? or do they have to sit it out in China?

Just wondering if you guys have thought about your pandemic plans/how to protect you and your loved ones? Has anyone contacted the consulate about bird flu? Any insights on this topic and your plans would be extremely helpful.

174000[/snapback]

I have been following this for the past few months and have talked with Jie about it. I have heard that if it becomes a human to human strain, the Chinese health ministry will shut the doors to China. Meaning, no one comes or goes. I think that would pretty much answer the question.

However, China seems to be proactive in killing chickens, quarantining victims etc, so I think they are on top of it.

As for the other questions, I would like to know too. I dont think the consulate would issue an 'emergency visa', and I think it definitely would halt the visa process. That could be up to two years...I believe that is the estimate for the flu to run its full course. When it reaches pandemic levels that would cause concern at the consulate, I highly doubt they will be jumping to issue emergency visas while the rest of the world is trying to stop potentionally infected people from crossing their borders. However, what will the consulate do is still a good question and perhaps this would be a good question for the 'ask guz' section?

1 - obviously. No VO's no processing.

2 - I would think the opposite to be true. We'd wait longer, apart. I think the borders will seal up if it gets bad.

I can't fathom them wanting to grant emergency visas, but it is a wishful thought.

Contingency plan is the same as it is now. I pray for her health and remind her to take her vitamins. I ask god for an expeditious visa process as well :rolleyes:

174000[/snapback]

I have been following this for the past few months and have talked with Jie about it. I have heard that if it becomes a human to human strain, the Chinese health ministry will shut the doors to China. Meaning, no one comes or goes. I think that would pretty much answer the question.

However, China seems to be proactive in killing chickens, quarantining victims etc, so I think they are on top of it.

As for the other questions, I would like to know too. I dont think the consulate would issue an 'emergency visa', and I think it definitely would halt the visa process. That could be up to two years...I believe that is the estimate for the flu to run its full course. When it reaches pandemic levels that would cause concern at the consulate, I highly doubt they will be jumping to issue emergency visas while the rest of the world is trying to stop potentionally infected people from crossing their borders. However, what will the consulate do is still a good question and perhaps this would be a good question for the 'ask guz' section?

174005[/snapback]

It's all the same rhetoric as ZARZ in 2003 and the HK flu and AIDs etc.... I think we are all a it to quick to push the panic button when there are all so many if and buts--eventually we may have a real pandemic and no one will listen.

WOLF!!! WOLF!!!!

I realize, I'm not trying to cry wolf at the situation at all.This could become a problem two years from now, no one really knows. The media definetely gives a lot of hype to the whole situation, which prevents people from understanding the actual current status (which is not severe at all, level 3 out of 6 in fact), and properly understanding the risks. For goodness sake, many people are not eating chicken, which is totally unnecessary.

I'm just saying I think it's best to understand the policies in place, and have the proper information. So in the event that something does happen, there is no confusion. A little preparation goes a long way to avoid panic.

At this point since a human to human strain of the avian flu has not developed the severity would be 0. Avian flu has always been around and the current strain that can infect humans with close association with live infected birds is prime on the watch list. The strain has been found last year and this year in the U.S. as well as Asia. Infection rate and death in humans world wide currently is at the bottom of the infectious disease list. A panedemic is even more likely from one of the flu viruses that currently kills thousands every year.

The current media hype has been useful in getting additional funds for CDC and developing awareness of the likelihood of a panedemic ocurring within the next decade. Being prepared on a government and public level does reduce damage including deaths. This is evident from the later response to SARS in China and the extremely low death rate from Katrina. Staph. Aureus is much higher on the list as a potential hazard. People are being hospitalized and dying at increasing rates. The bacteria is present everywhere, especially on people's skin. It is mutating at a rapid rate into new forms.

As an individual there is little to be done. Protect yourself from a panedemic by washing hands often with an antibacterial soap and gargle with an antibacterial/antiviral mouthwash. Avoid being close to people who are coughing or sneezing. Shower thoroughly with soap and often. Our SOs are right on this one. Follow good hygiene practices.

Ultimately the real terrorist war is between macro and micro organisms. Them against us and us against them. Victory will determine the inhabitants of this planet. I wouldn't be surprised if we discover a microbe was the cause for the disappearance of the dinosaur. In H. G. Wells' War of the World the martians were defeated not by us but microbes.

So live your lives and get through this horrible process so you can enjoy being together.

One more point on the shower thoroughly ... it's much more efficient to shower with a errr ahhh ... close friend.  This is so you can thoroughly check that you have both showered thoroughly, you may need to repeat the process several times.  Luckily many Chinese apartments have nice big showers. :blink:

174103[/snapback]

Great idea Jim, I think we men can show how responsible and caring we are, and we can all use your idea to valiently and efficiently fight this pandemic with our SO's. I love efficiency ! he he he :clapping:

One more point on the shower thoroughly ... it's much more efficient to shower with a errr ahhh ... close friend.  This is so you can thoroughly check that you have both showered thoroughly, you may need to repeat the process several times.  Luckily many Chinese apartments have nice big showers.   :D

174103[/snapback]

Great idea Jim, I think we men can show how responsible and caring we are, and we can all use your idea to valiently and efficiently fight this pandemic with our SO's. I love efficiency ! he he he :D

174134[/snapback]

It will certainly get you through the hard times B)

I realize, I'm not trying to cry wolf at the situation at all.This could become a problem two years from now, no one really knows. The media definetely gives a lot of hype to the whole situation, which prevents people from understanding the actual current status (which is not severe at all, level 3 out of 6 in fact), and properly understanding the risks. For goodness sake, many people are not eating chicken, which is totally unnecessary.

I'm just saying I think it's best to understand the policies in place, and have the proper information. So in the event that something does happen, there is no confusion. A little preparation goes a long way to avoid panic.

174022[/snapback]

I wasn't saying you were crying wolf. the media and of course government folks tend to get all the mileage they can out of anything that even remotely has any possibility of being a disaster. Maybe they think it makes us think that we need them.

At any rate-more of us will die from stress related illnesses than from any other cause. SOoooo, don't sweat the stuff you have no control over!

Live long and prosper--nanu nanu