Wife's interview tomorrow

Tomorrow (December 7) is my wife, Zhenshu’s interview. It has been a long haul for us, just like everyone, but even more so because of a few special circumstances that may be interesting to relate.

Due to personal reasons Zhenshu moved from Shenzhen (where we met) in April, 2005 to Changchun. She soon moved to Tonghua and then to Beijing. She subsequently had several different addresses in Beijing. To make matters worse, she listed a very old address in Jilin Province on her DS-230 form.

Consequently, she never received her P-4 packet and interview letter, because it was sent to an address she no longer lived at and was not forwarded.

However, due largely to the exceptional storehouse of visa information and advice at CFL, I realized I could “keep tabs” on the interview letter by calling the Department of State several times a week. I learned about her December 7 appointment from them in early November, and immediately told my wife.

She could (and did) download and complete the P-4 packet forms but this did not solve the problem of her not having the actual interview letter. Without it she could not even enter the Consulate.

With time running out, I e-mailed and ultimately faxed the US Consulate in Guangzhou and asked them how we could get the letter to my wife. They responded to my FAX and asked me for my wife’s cell phone number.

They called her in Beijing and asked her to come to the Consulate today (December 6), pick up the letter, and then try to make her interview tomorrow.

Miraculously, everything appears set, according to Zhenshu. She has the letter as well as all the forms completed, including the medical exam and vaccinations (which she did this past week), and is ready for her interview tomorrow.

We will know the result by tonight, about 11:00 PM, eastern time.

There are several lessons here, I believe.

In the first place, make certain the address on the DS-230 is the actual address where your spouse or significant other will be certain to get the letter, when it comes. That appears to be the address to which they will send the packet and interview letter.

Secondly, keep calling the Department of State (202.663.1225) and monitor the status of the P-4 packet as often as you feel necessary. They don’t seem to mind if a spouse calls every day, and some (but not all) of the people there are quite helpful and courteous.

Third, if all else fails, FAX the CONSULATE (86-203884-4412) and try to have them arrange things with your spouse by phone. I came away with the inescapable impression the people at the US Consulate were extremely willing to do what they could to make a scheduled interview go forward. They have time involved in this process, too.

Tomorrow we shall see if Zhenshu is successful or not, but at least she will have the interview.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Tomorrow we shall see if Zhenshu is successful or not, but at least she will have the interview.

173906[/snapback]

After all your hard work I believe there will be some big-time dancing going on in a few hours....

:D