Most major airports will deal with American currency but I always found it easier to exchange it and use local currency. This avoids problems with the stores "conversion rates" being lower then they should be. (they have to pay someone to convert it.) Most of the things in Tokyo will be 1 dollar = 100 yen. This is a good base for figuring out if something is more expencive then it should be. Although most airports are expencive anyway. :( Remember not to go through the Immigration area. You are going onto a connecting flight and shouldn't have to. (this also avoids the heafty "airport tax") Unless of course, you have time to kill and want to explore, or just want to get your Passport stamped so you can show friends and family that "yes, you have been there!" :D

Phil

Tokyo? Shanghai? Both nice and both crowded! If you are making a connecting flight in Shanghai to another Chinese city, I suspect you will have to clear immigration in Shanghai as it is an "International Airport".

BTW Kaige: Did you get that table made? :( :D

Guest Flora_713

Good morning, Kaige,

You are making a hot-pot table by yourself?

WOW! Fantastic!! Could me and my love get a hot-pot invitation from you and your wife after I move over to Ft. Myers? :( :( :(

I have flown both airports several times. Once on the way home from Narita, I had the bright idea of staying awake all night before my morning flight to try and whip jet lag. But,,,,,the airport closes at night! Everyone spending the night was herded into an lobby area with access to johns and a couple of vending machines and our passports were checked by several different people and we were under guard all night. I stayed awake and it did not help my jet lag.....

If you stop there it may be like other international stop overs where you are just allowed into certain areas without clearing customs. If you are able to get to the McDonalds, try it. This place has the best service I have ever seen at one. The kids accually ran my order to my table.

I really enjoy Asian airports and I think that Shanghai is very nice although I have just come and gone there without spending much time.

If you are flying the same airline in and out and have a few hours layover, often they will give you a meal voucher or a brown bag.

Aloha from Hawaii,

No problem with US Dollars at the airport. You can buy a hot dog and a coke with

US Dollars in the airport. You will see signs posted by the shops that will take

the US currency. It will be better to use USD so you use exactly what you need

unless you plan to carry Yen back for any reason.

The airport does shut down for the night and it is boring with nothing to see or do.

Osaka is a better place to stay overnight. There is a hotel a short walk away.

There is a covered pedestrian overpass from the airport to the hotel.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG

P.S. The hot dogs are terrible.

i wanted to stay overnight at beijing airport once - i landed at 10:30pm, and had a flight at 7 the next morning - seemed like the logical and adventurous thing to do.

but the airport closed at 11pm... for a minute there i thought i was going to get shot, but a bellboy from the TianLong Hotel rescued me and told the police that i had a reservation there, and it was his fault i was stranded there. BTW, the hotel was cheap and very nice!

one thing that i always found remarkable: the same people who were working at the airpoit and hotel at 10:30 at night - were back there working at 6 the next morning. try to find that kind of work ethic in the US!

HK airport is organized and nice, anyone can find thier way - but the bus ride into the PRC is HELL - avoid it at all costs.

i still have not been to the new GZ airport.

Incheon airport is one of the biggest and most impressive i have seen - but also has the least freindly people working there.

the coolest thing about shanghia is coming in for a landing and looking over an OCEAN of humanity. as far as you can see, all the way to the horizon, there are apartment buildings and high-rises. amazing.

also, all those souveniers you wanted during the trip can be found at the shanghai airport! they cost a little more (ok, a LOT more), but if you were remiss in shopping during your visit (your wife is obviously not like mine), you can get it ALL here.

i do my best to make every trip into a "travel adventure." i do however avoid the "extream adventures" like micks world-famous bus ride.

where every you go, eat the food, talk to the people. and enjoy it!