Since Jenny has taken my last name, she has no way to write it in Chinese. She also doesn't seem to be able to write cursively, so she just prints her name. Doesn't seem to be an issue. She knows who she is.

169871[/snapback]

I know what you mean Paul. The issue came up with Yin in China when filling out G325A. I had to help her form her own signature. She practiced signing for about 15 minutes. She seemed very proud that she could finally do it. I let it go....Later about 10:00pm I went for a walk and to get some sundries. I walked in earlier than she expected and I caught her.......

Still practicing some more! :lol: She already had used up about 10 pages in a notebook. One of the small things between a Chinese wife and yourself, that makes the love real!

Have to admire the perfectionist Sichuan women. Nobody is going to sneak up on or fool them!

A person's identity for life in the US can be completley different than what is on thier passport. When you check in at the airport for an international flight they are not interested in your drivers license. They want to see your passport. Same with customs and immigration when you enter the country. When you go to write or cash a check here in the US they want to see your DL or state ID card. They aren't interested in your passport unless you have no other ID. I see nothing wrong with using chinese characters as a signature though. What is important is that it matches the signature on your checks and what is on file at the bank. I do think it is less hassle to use an English signature in the US though.

Dave

No offense taken!

As for the pin stripe tux, we were in GZ and walked past a photo shop. Amy wanted to get an idea of what wedding pictures would cost. About an hour later we were getting our pictures taken! The photo studio provided the wedding dress, tux (the only one they had that fit me!), eastern wedding clothes, and hair and makeup for Amy. We got twenty 8 Meg pictures on CD, 10 4X6's and 10 5X8's for about $50 (after 2 hours of haggeling) !!!

I was a bit suprized by the CA DMV. After living in NV for 7 years, I came back to CA and went to the DMV. They still had all of my info in their computer after 7 years.

Funny you mention the post office and OCR. When I returned from Nevada 4 years ago, I applied for a job as an electronic tech for the post office. The process took 3 years from app to test (got an 87.5 on it!) to actually getting a job offer that wasn't the midnight shift 60 miles from my home. Then they offered me a day job near home but my app got delayed during the medical exam and by the time that was cleared up, the job was no longer available. I did tell my current boss about the post office job and he decided to match the post office wages so everything worked out well as this job is a lot nicer than the post office job would have been. The reason I mention all this is because I got a first hand discription and look at the machine that "reads" the letters and puts the bar codes on them. If they can be read by the machine a black bar code is printed on the front of the letter that contains the zip code and address. If they cannot be read by the machine, they are photographed and assigned an orange serial number that is printed on the back of the letter. The pictures of letters from So Cal that could not be read by the OCR are sent to Modesto via internet where operators reads the zip code from the picture and enters that zip code for that picture/serial number. The second time through the machine, the orange serial number gets read and the corresponding zip code gets entered on the front of the letter from the data base from Modesto. It was pretty amazing to see the letters zip through this machine at about 40MPH !! But I digress. Opps, just re-read your post to see that you were a supervisor in a mail processing plant so you know all about this!

Using Chinese characters on a letter within the US is a totally different ball of wax! It might eventually get to a translator and routed to the right address but this is obviously not a good way to go! Writing all English addresses to China also caused 2 of my letters to get lost before it dawned on me to put a jpeg of her address in Chinese on the letter also.

I will let the choice of Chinese/US signatures rest at this point - it is up to the individual.

Hmmm, 2 korean wives? I hope you like kim chee! I know I do!! I also love the array of side dishes that go with the typical meal and cooking your dinner right at the dinner table (similar to hot pot but using a BBQ grill). Sounds very interesting to say the least. I have watched Korean drama's on TV (with subtitles) every day for many years. They are some of the best out there. I even bought Scent of Summer on DVD.

Let me know when you're ready to buy/sell in San Diego and I will offer a very nice discount to CFL members (I'm a hungry RE agent!!). Any house in CA that is priced at the going market value is usually sold in the first week!

Take care and I hope your visa process completes promptly.

We may have to come visit you in Sanya some time . . . . . :D