Favorite Recipes

From a previous thread...."Feed my husband", it was suggested to post a new thread giving out recipes that we all can share and enjoy! Who knows, if we can get a good response to this thread, Don could maybe give it as a new category. So, please do not be shy about posting. Please do not just give recipes about American recipes. I personally, would love to see recipes from different regions of China. So, please all of those great SO Chinese cooks, please, please, please post your favorites or your families recipes, ok. Also, if you read an interesting recipe in a book or magazine, please post. If you have questions about ingredients, cooking methods, cooking equipment or any thing related to food, please post here. Lets bring East Meets West cuisine to this wonderful site. Finally, if you tried one of the recipes....give us your POSITIVE feedback and/or suggestions. Lets have FUN!!! I'll be happy to post first :D

Guest ShaQuaNew
From a previous thread...."Feed my husband", it was suggested to post a new thread giving out recipes that we all can share and enjoy!  Who knows, if we can get a good response to this thread, Don could maybe give it as a new category.  So, please do not be shy about posting.  Please do not just give recipes about American recipes.  I personally, would love to see recipes from different regions of China.  So, please all of those great SO Chinese cooks, please, please, please post your favorites or your families recipes, ok.  Also, if you read an interesting recipe in a book or magazine, please post.  If you have questions about ingredients, cooking methods, cooking equipment or any thing related to food, please post here.  Lets bring East Meets West cuisine to this wonderful site.  Finally, if you tried one of the recipes....give us your POSITIVE feedback and/or suggestions.  Lets have FUN!!!  I'll be happy to post first :D

169021[/snapback]

Go Richard Go. :)

I know we all can not only make the best cookbook in the world, but organize the best Candle cook-off event in which we all get to sample product and drink beer!!!

:beer:

:D

My special dish:

"Re-engineered Ramen Noodles"

Inventor's notes: I developed this recipe while attending colleague in US. As a Chinese student on a tight monetory and time budget, I found this dish inexpensive, quick to make, taste good and reasonably healthy.

Ingredients:

a packet of Ramen Noodles (use the least expensive type) leave out most enclosed spicy packets

one or two egg(s) (optional)

a slice of ham (optional)

leafy vegetables (optional quantity and variety, garden fresh spinach is my favorite)

other vegitables, such as, tomato, carrot. Leftover toss salad (no dresssing) works great.

Process:

- pour some water to a small pot, over medium heat, bring water to boil.

- toss in noodles and non-leafy vegetables in a sequence that the toughest go in first (you need to experiment to get a feel on the timing).

- add a little spice from the enclosed packets, MSG watchers may replace it with a bit of salt and pepper, and sesame oil if you like.

- just before the soup is about to boil, crack in eggs and later add ham

- when eggs are about done, add leafy vegetables.

- turn off heat in two minutes.

- serve with super large bowl and eat when it's still hot.

:D

CHEFS CHICKEN MARSALA (Origin of country, Sicily)

Preparation time: 15 - 20 minutes

Actual cooking time: 25 - 30 minutes

Serves: 4 people, (Feeds one if you are Trigg)

INGREDIENTS:

4 skinless and boneless chicken breast, lightly pounded to at least 1/4 inch thick

salt and pepper, to taste

All-purpose flour, for coating chicken breast

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup of sweet Marsala wine

1/2 cup of low fat and low sodium chicken stock, ( Swanson's Natural Goodness is a good brand)

8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, sliced

1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)

COOKING:

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the sliced mushrooms and cook until an apparent moisture is notice on mushrooms Add Marsala wine and reduce by 1/4., scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Add chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, (small boil). Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

Serving Suggestion: serve with Roasted Asparagus, recipe to follow and a good Chianti wine!! :D

ROASTED ASPARAGUS, (origin of country, France)

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Actual cooking time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4 people

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound asparagus, trimmed

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon of dried thyme

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit

Snap or cut the dry stem ends off each asparagus and place on a heavy cookie sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper, and toss to mix all ingredients. Be sure that the asparagus are in a single layer. Roast until the asparagus is tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.

BUON APPETITO!!! :beer: :)

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
This is PROFESSIONAL, Richard! :D

169035[/snapback]

Thanks!! I hope this will be good thread for all to enjoy..while we wait :beer:

169038[/snapback]

Richard, Malto Bane`. Here a simple one to make. It really great on the cold days that are coming up soon. Good comfort Soup.

1/2 lb. Italian sweet sausage

2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (homemade is the best.)

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano

1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta

2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves

2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

Guest ShaQuaNew

BROILED GROUPER, SALMON, SNAPPER, or other Flaky thing....

Preheat Oven to HOT (475 - 525 degrees) yes, the oven, not the broiler

Ingredients...

Fresh shallots

White pepper

Butter

Lemon juice

Paprika

Fresh parsley

1. Wash fish and cut into portions

2. Chop about two tablespoons of shallots extremly fine

3. Chop enough fresh parsley very fine so that you can add a light sprinkling to the top of the fish later -- don't use that dry stuff....

4. Slowly melt a stick of butter in a warm saucepan, if it's popping, it's too hot

5. Add the finely chopped shallots to the butter

6. Add lemon juice to taste to the melted butter in the saucepan. Make it nice and lemony, but not too much

7. Put a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of your cooking / chafing dish

8. Place the fish, skin-side down on top of the aluminum foil

9. Pour the lemon butter / shallot mixture over the fish

10. Lightly sprinkle the fish with white pepper. Lightly, very lightly, but cover it too.

11. Lightly sprinkle the fish with paprika

12. Sprinkle the fish with your fresh chopped parsley

Put the whole schmear into the HOT oven and cook. It won't take long. Maybe ten minutes. Don't overcook. Test by poking the middle of the thickest part of the fish with your finger. Fish, and other meats tighten as they cook. As soon as it tightens up, it's done. I get done when I'm tight too.

Optional....

Cucumbers make a great fish topping. Peel a whole cucumber and slice it length-wise down the middle. Hollow out the mushy seedy part in the middle and cut into slices. Saute this in your lemon butter mixture and add a little dill to it for color and taste. Top your fish with these tasty cucumbers after you cook the fish.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Wow!!! this looks fabulous!! I will try this tonight for my supper. Maybe, a nice warm crusted bread and a simple salad would be a great addition. If you want some spice or heat you can use Hot Italian sausage too, right? The hot Italian sausage would certainly be appreciated by our SO's who enjoy spicy food. So, you have bridged an East Meets West fusion cuisine without creating confusion, (haha), from the original dish. Great recipe Thomas!!! :D :D

Did you notice, it is very difficult to find measuring cups and spoons in China.  The quantity in our recipe usually shows up as, a pinch, some, 1/2 kg, 50g, etc.  As the result, the same dish tastes differently every time I make it.

169044[/snapback]

Joanne, you are absolutely correct!!. Therefore you may want to bookmark the following website in your computer. It will help you and me to make the right conversions in our measurements.

www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

I know this will help me if there are post that will have metric measurements. Also, in many cook books they have these conversions in the back of the books under references. Good luck and please enjoy!!

Here is one more cold weather recipe that is easy to make. Lusheng and the girls love it.

Carne Guisada

Ingredients:

3 pounds beef stew meat

1/4 cup water

salt and peper to taste

2 cans diced tomatoes

3 cloves garlic minced

1 cup chopped onion

3 tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon oregeno

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 diced bell pepper

Directions:

Place stew meat, 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper in crockpot. Turn heat to high and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Drain juice from the tomatoes into measuring cup. Add tomatoes, garlic and onions to crock pot.

STIR; let simmer on high for 30 minutes. Add cumin, oregeno, and chili powder to crock pot and stir. Blend the tomato juice and enough water to equal 1 1/2 cups liquid. Add flour to the liquid & stir into meat mixture.

Let cook on LOW for 3-4 hours until sauce is thick. Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Messican Rice

Here is a rice recipe also that is good. Lusheng will cook this once a week or every other

1 cup uncooked rice -- your choice

2 cups cold water

2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed

Olive oil

1/2 onion

Coarsely chopped small roma tomato, chopped into about 4 pieces

Hot pepper of your choice, sliced lengthwise

Tomato sauce (I'd say a little less that 1/4 cup)

1 tsp comino seeds (cumin) ground into powder

1 Tbs chicken bouillon

Salt, to taste

Put a little olive oil (Tbs or so) into a medium-sized pot and heat to a medium temperature, add the rice, uncooked, and brown in the oil. Make sure all the rice is lightly coated with the oil. You do not have to stir the rice around very much at first, while browning, but as the rice becomes browner you want to be stirring it around to make sure it all browns evenly and doesn't burn. It will turn brown, but t's not burning unless it's turning dark/black. Towards the end of the browning, add the garlic so that it is sort of sauteed/browned.

Next, dump the water on the rice (it will steam up loudly) and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well and cover (with a small air escape). Reduce heat to medium-low to medium, and let cook for 20-30 minutes. (Cooking time and temperature varies with your stove. Check after 20 minutes to make sure you don't burn.)

The essential rule of this recipe is "Do Not Peek" while the rice is cooking.

When it is ready, all the water will be absorbed, the rice will fluff, and each grain will be "split open" because of the browning. It should be dry, not saucy. You can adjust the spices/peppers to your taste. The recipe can be changed by keeping with the 1 cup rice/2 cups water ratio, and adjusting remaining ingredients.

This is a basic recipe, we add a can of corn, a can of peas and also add a can of Rotel for a little kick to it. The main secret to the Messican rice it to FRY IT(very few people know this)

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)
Did you notice, it is very difficult to find measuring cups and spoons in China.  The quantity in our recipe usually shows up as, a pinch, some, 1/2 kg, 50g, etc.  As the result, the same dish tastes differently every time I make it.

169044[/snapback]

Joanne my Italian Grandma did not use any measuring utensils either. She would tell me: "Tomaso a little bit of dis, a little bit of dat and a some of more dat. Itza goin to be ok."

Also when Marco Polo visited China and started the great debate who was the 1st with Spagetti. The Italians or the Chinese.