Physical exam for SO

LiandLarry

Once your SO gets the P4, she can get the physical. I assume that she is not close to GUZ and so you want to go to together.

But, assuming you have the medical in GUZ... you can pay for expedited service to pickup the medical papers the next day; Some allow pickup the same day, late in the day.

Call ahead to the hospital :

1) DO they offer expedited service and when can you get it

2) Is an appointment time needed

3) Any holidays or other issues near the day of your medical

The pickup for the visa is two days after; unless your interview is friday, then pickup is monday.

The concerns are:

1) If the medical is too close to the interview and there's a problem they discover in the medical requiring further testing.

2) Your departure out of GUZ doesn't allow for the possibility of needing to do overcome evidence.

I think the best way to avoid the first issue is to have your SO do the physical on her own after she gets the P4. If she has any way of going to the medical also in Beijing or Shanghai, then she can do it prior to your arrival.

Then go to GUZ only for the interview... then you can show up a day before the interview...

Thanks David, you are always very helpful.

Larry

168283[/snapback]

What Larry said is very true!

It is best to remove the physical exam from the list of things that could go wrong just prior to the interview .

My SO wanted to get her results expedited-the hospital personnel recommended that she not do it because of the tests would not be hurried ( that made no sense to me ) but that's China !

Larry:

Here is our recent experience the medical examination at the "Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel" on Shamian Island.

My wife called the hospital before I arrived and asked about timing for the exam, there were two options:

1. Pay the 800RMB fee and results will be ready three days after the exam.

2. Pay 100RMB extra (900RMB total) to expediate for same day results, assuming no problems are encountered during the exam. However, you must arrive at the hospital at 8:00AM when it opens for the exam.

We stayed in GZ on the night of the 14th (11/14/05) at a hotel within walking distance of Shamian Island. Walked to the hospital the next morning (11/15/05) a few minutes after 8:00AM. The hospital was already open and approximately 20 others (most with additional family and friends in tow) were already in front of us.

The total time from entering the hospital to completing the exam was suprisingly short (in my mind), about 2 hours and 15 minutes. This included the vaccinations since my wife's case is CR1. We left the hospital at 10:15AM.

The hospital told us to return at 4:00PM to pick up the results. Returned at appromiately 4:05PM. You must take a number to pick up results. There were eight people in front of us. The hospital has two people working on this. My wife was called at 4:45PM. It took 10-15 minutes to process everything. The staff persons assembles all your supporting documents such as DS-230 Part II, GIV-24, Notarial Certificates, etc. (this is for CR1, I know K1/K3 have additional documents) and places these with the medical results in a sealed brown envelope your spouse/fiancee takes to the interview. They also give you the tube with their xray. We left the hospital by 5:00PM the same day (11/15/05).

A few words of caution:

1. I would leave at least four days before the interview to have the medical exam done (even if expediating) in case the hospital needs to perform additional testing. Without the medical, and accompanying brown envelope, no interview.

2. Fill out the top portion of the medical forms (DS-2053, 3024, 3025, 3026) before you arrive at the hospital. Only the name, address, case number, etc. portion as this saves times in the morning. My wife completed this in English with the exception of her name which she completed in both English and Chinese.

3. See Joanne's topic on the medical procedure, it is excellent and very detailed. We owe our easy path through the medical process to Joanne's post.

One observation, many of the others we saw also payed the 100RMB to expediate the results. The hospital, in the morning, told us the results might not be ready until 5:00PM to 7:00PM at the start of the process. However, when my wife's medical exam was completed at 10:15AM we were told to return at 4:00PM.

Since my wife required the vaccinations we had to pay an additional 300RMB (approximately). She also received the "yellow vaccination book" everyone talks about.

Mark

Edited by mlspyl (see edit history)