CR1togo has given a complete guide to Shanghai medical experience back in June 5 this year. The medical procedure in Shanghai stays mostly the same except that HIV screening is not done seperately as described by CR1togy. I will give an updated version here to share with you.

You only need to pay attention to the sentences in Bold below. All details will be provided at the hospital and the Quarantine Bureau office.

Step one - visit #1 people's hospital, #585 Jiu long Road, 1st floor
Time: 8:00-10:00am M-F
Things to bring: interview appointment, passport, medicine examination forms (DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3026, and for CR1/IR1, DS-3025), two Chinese passport size photos, 900RMB (or 600 for child).
Note: Go with empty stomach, fill out personal info part of the forms ahead of time using both Chinese and English.

----Sub-routine 1: line up at the in-room "register" desk, show appointment letter and passport, receive three hospital forms (main form, X-ray form and cardiogram form)
----Sub-routine 2: Fill out personal information part of all medical forms (DS forms in both languages and hospital forms in Chinese), attach photos to forms.
----Sub-routine 3: Report back to the in-room register nurse, check blood pressure, eye-sight, weight (also be given a small slip to write your phone# and Postal code on)
----Sub-routine 4: show your phone# slip, passport and the main hospital form to the hall-way register person, get you bill and ID card.
----sub-routine 5: across the hall way, to pay counter. Pass bill, ID card and money to the cashier, get receipt and have your main hospital form stamped.
----sub-routine 6: line up in exam booth#1 or #2, when it's your turn, show passport, ID, hand in all DS forms and the main hospital form. This is where the doctor performs routine check and fills out the forms. After all that the doctor will advise you the later steps (vaccination and pickup result). The doctor will hand you an information sheet (on the sheet it says that you need to go to a different test center to do HIV screening, this is not true anymore. Watch out!)
----sub-routine 7: line up at lab work counter with passport and payment receipt to show, where nurse take blood samples and then you prepare urine sample.
----sub-routine 8: go down to basement of the same building, do X-ray and cardiogram.
This is all you have to do at the hospital.

Step two - visit Quarantine Bureau Office: #15 Jinbang Road· (close to Hami Road·), Building#3
Note: this step is not required for K1/K3
Time: 8:00-11:00am, 1:00-3:00pm M-F
Things to bring: passport, previous immunization records (if any) and money.

----sub-routine 1: show passport, fill out a form
----sub-routine 2: see doctor, decide which shots are needed, etc.
----sub-routine 3: pay
----sub-routine 4: get shots
----sub-routine 5: a nurse will give you some directions on what to do next, documents received include:
a. your would-be Certificate of Vaccination (I call it "yellow book")sealed in an envelop to be handed over to #1 hospital doctor when picking up your medical examination results. Don't open it!
b. an information sheet about expected reaction and booster shot schedules for you to read.
c. an information sheet about shots received and booster shot schedules for the hospital which will give you booster later.
d. a feedback form with return envelop you suppose to fill out after 3 weeks.

Step three - pick up medical examination result at #1 people's hospital
Time: 8:00am, a week after your examination (or next day if paid 600 extra for expediated service)
Things to bring: Passport, interview appointment letter, hospital information sheet. The envelop with yellow book in it(not need for K visas) and all required documents listed in OF-171.

----Sub-routine 1: go to Booth#1, pick out your X-ray film, line up outside this booth for your turn.
----Sub-routine 2: hand over yelow book to doctor, wait for doctor to gather all your test reports, sign on form DS-2053. Need to show you passport. The doctor will give you the filled out hospital forms, along with the whole set of lab test reports to you to be used for Step 4 process later. You will also get your yellow book to keep.
----Sub-routine 3: Wait in line outside Booth#3. The doctor will pass medical forms and X-ray film from Booth#1 to Booth#3. From time to time, the doctor will come out give instructions on how to fill out the registration book and prepare forms. At your turn, all DS forms and the documents your brought will be sealed into an large envelop for you to take to your visa interview. You need to pay 12RMB to the Booth#3 doctor to cover copying cost. You'll also sign on a photocopy of DS-2053. X-ray film will be handed back to you to keep.

Step four - get Health Certificate at Quarantine Bureau Office
Time: Doctor advise your do this after receiving your US visa.
Things to bring: Passport, the main hospital form showing medical examination results, a photo and some money.
This step is to replace the hospital forms with a Health Certificate for International Traveller.

A footnote on my post#1:

Today I went to the test center to get my HIV screening done according to the direction shown on the hospital information sheet. On this sheet it says all people over 14 should go to the test center on M, W or F morning 8:45 - 11:00am to do HIV test. Address and phone number of the test center is also provided ( :clapping: Why didn't I call ahead of time?!). After I arrived the test center, a note dated Oct 12 were posted next to their main gate. It says the original test time has been changed to W and F afternoon for voluntary consultation and test. I was frustrated at the news thinking I have to be back again in the afternoon. While staring at the notice, I paid attention to this word "voluntary". So I called the test center, they told me that the HIV test task for US immigrant visa has been taken over by the #1 people's hospital. I called the hospital and get their confirmation. The nurse answered the phone asked me: didn't the doctor tell you that we have already draw blood for this test along with others. :greenblob: Maybe the doctor told me along with a lot of other thing, but it is stated very clearly in their information sheet that I need to go elsewhere to have it done. :clapping: Anyway, I hope you don't find this out the hard way like me.

Joanne,

Did the #1 People's Hospital ask for your visa fee receipt?

Can you tell me what was the time between each steps in your case?

Many thanks.

162256[/snapback]

I am not very clear about this visa fee question because I don't need to in my case, so I didn't ask about it. If you like, I can check it out when I go pick up my result next week.

Does my timeline below answers your second question? If not, would you be more specific for your question?

But all the designated citic banks are in GZ and we will be doing med exam in SH. If K1 visa fee receipt is needed by the SH hospital, then my SO has to go to GZ just to get the visa fee paid and bring the receipt back, and make another trip for interview later?

Any thoughts?

My SO went early morning to have the medical done. You do not need the visa fee receipt at this time. You do need all the medical forms that GUZ mailed to you and the interview letter. We did not fill out the top of the forms although you can do that ahead of time.

The day that you go back to Shamian to pick up the results you must have the paid receipt and the rest of the forms GIV, GNI, 156, 157, etc. plus passport pictures. They will put all of that inside the envelope and seal it.

Do not bring the I-134, emails, photographs, phone records, company letter, etc. (proof of relationship) that stuff you will bring to the interview.

Sorry, I meant the time between the four steps mentioned in your medical exam.

Thanks.

162264[/snapback]

Time between step 1 (take the test) and step 3 (get the result) is one week. If you pay 600 extra you can expediate the process, then the time between is one day, meaning you pickup the result the next day after the exam. Step 2 can be done anytime before step 3. I did step 2 before step 1. The last step is not required by GUZ, so it can be done anytime before getting on the airplane to fly to US.

I will check if they need the payment receipt when picking up test result. I heard from somewhere that you can pay at CITIC branch in Shanghai. And I know for certain that CITIC can receive the payment and give you a receipt, but I am not sure whether GUZ will accept this receipt from Shanghai.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

Yes, Joanne, please do let us know about the fee situation! I too am in Shanghai and now am thoroughly confused about paying the fee, and my husband is planning on going to get the medical exam this coming week.

Also, for clarification...you said that the passport sized photos needed for the exam are according to Chinese standards, NOT the US Consulate's standards?

Edited by Jocelyn (see edit history)
Yes, Joanne, please do let us know about the fee situation! I too am in Shanghai and now am thoroughly confused about paying the fee, and my husband is planning on going to get the medical exam this coming week.

Also, for clarification...you said that the passport sized photos needed for the exam are according to Chinese standards, NOT the US Consulate's standards?

162437[/snapback]

Correct. For the medical examination forms, two Chinese standard passport size photos are required. Your husband may use his US standard passport photos and trim the edges to fit into the allocated space.

When your husband go to pick up the result, he need to bring two US standard passport photos to be sealed into that envelop for the GUZ interview.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

The GUZ website will only give Citi locations in GUZ... but there are approved Citi locations in Shanghai and Beijing... just not easy to locate them unless you go there yourself.

As an example, I found out there are 28 approved locations to pay for the fee in BJ alone...

You must get the receipt; it will be accepted by GUZ...

I did some more research at 001, here is what I have found: if you do medical exam in SH, you can pay the visa fee either in SH or in GZ before the interview; this is stated on the paper they gave you after the exam. I then searched the Citic Industrial Banks website in SH, and found there are two SH branches that accept US visa (non immigrant)applicaton fee (RMB 830):

1. 61 Nanjing Road East, Tel: 63501216

2. 1335 Huaihai Road Middle, Tel: 64318545

Hope this clears up the confusion for people doing exam in SH.