driver's license

Go to your state's DMV website and use the searchword, "Lawful Presence."

This should lead you to the information you are seeking.

Typically you have to prove four criterias: 1) Identity, 2) residence, 3) Lawful Presence, and 4) SSN

Depending on the states policy, the I-797C receipt notice of I-485 application can be used to establish Lawful Presence.

You can in CA. Just need SSN and passport.

167654[/snapback]

The law has been changed recently in California. If your K-1 visa expires in less than 60 days, the DMV will not allow you to take the road test to get a California drivers license. We were not aware of this and spent some money on driving lessons for my wife and then were told she could not take the test. There may be a way around this, but we haven't found it yet. I don't know if the situation is any different for K-3 visa holders.

You can in CA. Just need SSN and passport.

167654[/snapback]

The law has been changed recently in California. If your K-1 visa expires in less than 60 days, the DMV will not allow you to take the road test to get a California drivers license. We were not aware of this and spent some money on driving lessons for my wife and then were told she could not take the test. There may be a way around this, but we haven't found it yet. I don't know if the situation is any different for K-3 visa holders.

167665[/snapback]

wow, this is something I did not know. I assumed that with a learners permit, you would be able to schedule a test.

Hopefully we'll get the green card before too many months . . . .

It depends on the state. Most states won't isssue a drivers licence without a social security number. If you are a K-1 then you can get a SSN and drivers licence in most states. If you are K-3 then you can't get a SSN without an EAD.