Civil Surgeon visit

Kind of found my answer in another post.. here for reference:

Several shots on that list she is now older than some cut-off age set by the CDC, so they are not required.  Several of the shots she is too young to require.  Varicella (chicken pox) she won't require if she has had it as a child, etc.  It sounds like the clinic in China knew what they were doing.

My local health department knew the shots required, as did my civil surgeon.  At age 30, Jun required:  Diphtheria, Tetanus, Mumps, Measles, Rubella, and Varicella.  Since she had Chicken pox as a kid, no need for the Varicella.  The Diphtheria and tetanus is given as one shot.  The other 3, are given as the "MMR", so only 2 shots total... but according to my doctor the adult MMR requires one booster 28 days later. The civil surgeon took Jun's word about the Chicken pox, and listed "vaccinations complete" even though she had only had the first MMR... they may or may not do that in someone else's case, but the vaccination requirements should be the same.

116440[/snapback]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David: Even if you had to drive 3 hours and make it an all day trip, that would be my option. We showed the doc her chicken pox scar on her arm and the doc said O.K.. We showed her Amy's yellow book with entries in Chinese and Russian. Amy interpereted them and the doc hemmed and hawed a little but Amy insisted so the doc signed off on them. I have never heard of the MMR needing a booster shot.

Be sure to ask them for a copy of the I-693 supp that is in the envelope you you don't get any suprizes.

Also, a blood test is NOT needed as blood was drawn and examined as part of the original exam.

Don't let them rip you off!!!!!

Another thing, you can go to a second CS if you don't like the results of the first. The CS does not enter anything into a computer or otherwise make note of the fact that you went to him first. The A number is only required by the CS because there is a place for it on the form!

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)
David: Even if you had to drive 3 hours and make it an all day trip, that would be my option. We showed the doc her chicken pox scar on her arm and the doc said O.K.. We showed her Amy's yellow book with entries in Chinese and Russian. Amy interpereted them and the doc hemmed and hawed a little but Amy insisted so the doc signed off on them. I have never heard of the MMR needing a booster shot.

Be sure to ask them for a copy of the I-693 supp that is in the envelope you you don't get any suprizes.

Also, a blood test is NOT needed as blood was drawn and examined as part of the original exam.

Another thing, you can go to a second CS if you don't like the results of the first. The CS does not enter anything into a computer or otherwise make note of the fact that you went to him first. The A number is only required by the CS because there is a place for it on the form!

165429[/snapback]

One note. If she has never had Chicken Pox, or is uncertain, a blood test would be necessary to see if she required the vaccine. The CS might take your word if you're sure she has had the vaccine, or might not - but they aren't required to.

The adult MMR does need a booster. Our CS didn't require she have had it in order to sign the form - but beyond getting the form signed, if your goal is to be sure she is immune to those diseases - make sure she gets the booster.

David,

Does she have the scar on her arm from a previous Chicken pox vaccination?

165262[/snapback]

yes she does.. I told her prior to the visit to be prepared to show it..

But he would not even consider looking at it... He would only accept written proof of past shot, a blood test, or get a new shot.

I have never heard of the MMR needing a booster shot.

165429[/snapback]

I confirmed with my family doctor about a 'second course' for MMR... they said yes, a month after the first (as Jason's post shows).

SO, we're getting the second course today. I don't mind getting something that is medically adviseable and expected.

As for the blood being already drawn.. good point.

But I looked at her medical exam and there is no reference anywhere to state (prove) a previous chicken pox vaccine was given...

Thanks for the reminder about getting a copy... I knew that and then forgot it...

I just remembered that when we went to the CS Bing's booster shots weren't due yet. I sent in the I-693 with the I-485 and when we got close to interview I was a little worried about not having the boosters causing a problem. I called the CS who signed off on ours and after they looked into it a bit they told me the boosters weren't needed for the form. Never had any problem.

David, this is much like the SSN issue, go to the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm You will find the technical instructions for Civil Surgeons that give them the instructions for what you need. Print all the tables and appendixes to take with you.

Technical Instructions to Civil Surgeons for Vaccination Requirements

II. ROLE OF THE CIVIL SURGEON

Vaccination Assessment

Once it is determined that an applicant is a refugee or a person applying for adjustment of status in the United States, the civil surgeon must review all vaccination records presented by the applicant during this process and record the vaccination assessment results on Supplemental

Form To I-693. Those vaccines determined to be required must be administered.

Apparently he has not had time to read the damn thing so take it with you and give it to him as a gift so he can do his job. I'd suggest highlighting the appropriate sections as he is only a Civil Surgeon and I am not positive of the literacy requirements for the position. :greenblob:

David, this is much like the SSN issue, go to the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm You will find the technical instructions for Civil Surgeons that give them the instructions for what you need. Print all the tables and appendixes to take with you.

Technical Instructions to Civil Surgeons for Vaccination Requirements

II. ROLE OF THE CIVIL SURGEON

Vaccination Assessment

Once it is determined that an applicant is a refugee or a person applying for adjustment of status in the United States, the civil surgeon must review all vaccination records presented by the applicant during this process and record the vaccination assessment results on Supplemental

Form To I-693. Those vaccines determined to be required must be administered.

Apparently he has not had time to read the damn thing so take it with you and give it to him as a gift so he can do his job. I'd suggest highlighting the appropriate sections as he is only a Civil Surgeon and I am not positive of the literacy requirements for the position. :huh:

165609[/snapback]

He is a Russian immigrant.. Most of the literature around the room was in russian :D