Civil Surgeon visit

Well... I've felt a bit somber all morning, knowing that I'm going to the civil surgeon later this morning...

Not quite sure what to expect since I had to first convince the nurse that I didn't need a physical; then she gave me an appointment for a day they were closed... so this is the second appointment.

I'll bring some printouts from USCIS and the I-485 stating not needing the physical, etc... we'll see...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made an appointment for this Saturday. We will see how it goes. The receptionist said they have the paperwork. She wouldn't give me a price because she said they have to see the vacination record first. However it won't be more than $200 less than what a friend paid so I am a hero for the moment. The Doctor speaks Mandarin also.

talked to doctor.. his english is as good as my SOs.. so I actually understood him ok... B)

Said he would sign the 'supplemental', but not a physical since he did not do the latter... I told him that I don't need to submit a physical only a supplement.

This might be a good point to state for future people going to the civil surgeon.

Some doctors are stating you must have a physical by a civil surgeon, but just let them know that you DO NOT NEED a physical because you are NOT SUBMITTING A PHYSICAL with the paperwork!! You only need to submit a VACCINATION SUPPLEMENT.

Or maybe put to a doctor questioning you: Why would we get a physical when we are not required to submit one ?

Anyway... I'm off...

My impression is that the "civil" surgeons are the first ones in line to rip off America's newest immigrants.

If they don't know the law that got them their special "civil surgeon" designation, i wouldn't give them a penny.

Find another civil surgeon who will sign the suppliment and not try to rip you off.

We got a tetanus shot and signed form for less then $50.

My impression is that the "civil" surgeons are the first ones in line to rip off America's newest immigrants.

If they don't know the law that got them their special "civil surgeon" designation, i wouldn't give them a penny.

Find another civil surgeon who will sign the suppliment and not try to rip you off.

165118[/snapback]

I'm a bit confused here, when you say "supplemental" you are referring to the vaccination report or the I-693. All of the Civil surgeons in the maryland area I've contacted are indicating that my SO needs a physical and the 3 vaccines. Most are quoting me around 350-400 for both...help me out here, thanks.

165118[/snapback]

I'm a bit confused here, when you say "supplemental" you are referring to the vaccination report or the I-693. All of the Civil surgeons in the maryland area I've contacted are indicating that my SO needs a physical and the 3 vaccines. Most are quoting me around 350-400 for both...help me out here, thanks.

165143[/snapback]

Supplemental Form to I-693

If she has already had her physical prior to getting her visa, this is all the Civil surgeon needs to do for you. You need to bring them proof of all required shots being issued (all the shots on the form are NOT required, it varies by age, ETC.).

If they say you need a whole new physical even after you say something like "Trust me, she doesn't, That was done already - I just need the vaccination supplement completed, OK??", tell them good luck scamming someone else, and call another.

I had a run around not with our Civil Surgeon, but with the receptionist who didn't know what I meant, kept thinking I was the applicant (and complimented my English) and finally when I wouldn't let it go, transferred me to a nurse who knew EXACTLY what we needed, and transferred me back to a different receptionist to make the appointment who again had no clue, thought I was crazy, finally just agreed to make an appointment and let me explain it to the nurse and civil surgeon myself when I came in. I did, and the nurse acted like they do it everyday, 10 minutes, 50 bucks, out the door.

My SO hasn't got any shots, so  if she gets these from the CS, is the only form I need to submit with the I-485 or do I still need to have the I-693 signed too?

165149[/snapback]

I-693 won't be necessary. If you have health insurance, it will be cheaper to get the shots through your family doctor first, then just bring proof that they were administered when you go to the CS. (Our CS office stated they don't give the shots anyway, and I HAD to have them done elsewhere, and just bring in proof - but that varies from Dr. to Dr. either way, elsewhere will be much cheaper).

The CS gets paid for just looking at the proof, putting some x's and signing a form, sealing it and handing it to you. What a world.

My SO hasn't got any shots, so  if she gets these from the CS, is the only form I need to submit with the I-485 or do I still need to have the I-693 signed too?

165149[/snapback]

I-693 won't be necessary. If you have health insurance, it will be cheaper to get the shots through your family doctor first, then just bring proof that they were administered when you go to the CS. (Our CS office stated they don't give the shots anyway, and I HAD to have them done elsewhere, and just bring in proof - but that varies from Dr. to Dr. either way, elsewhere will be much cheaper).

The CS gets paid for just looking at the proof, putting some x's and signing a form, sealing it and handing it to you. What a world.

165151[/snapback]

just to clarify, all I need to do is get the required shots, take the vaccine records to the CS and have them sign the supplelental vaccine form which will be submitted along with my I-485, correct?

Thanks for your patience!!

Your wife had to have a physical in order to obtain the fiancee visa. Another physical is not needed. All she needs is the I-693 supplimental for vaccinations which she can only get from a civil surgeon. You can have the civil surgeon give them or obtain them elsewhere and have the surgeon sign off on them. Submit the the sealed I-693 supplimental with the I-485,I-864 and whatever other papers when you file AOS. ANOTHER PHYSICAL EXAM IS NOT NECESSARY UNLESS THE EXAM FOR THE VISA IS OVER A YEAR OLD.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm

Your wife had to have a physical in order to obtain the fiancee visa.  Another physical is not needed.  All she needs is the I-693 supplimental for vaccinations which she can only get from a civil surgeon.  You can have the civil surgeon give them or obtain them elsewhere and have the surgeon sign off on them.  Submit the the sealed I-693 supplimental with the I-485,I-864 and whatever other papers  when you file AOS.  ANOTHER PHYSICAL EXAM IS NOT NECESSARY UNLESS THE EXAM FOR THE VISA IS OVER A YEAR OLD.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm

165159[/snapback]

Understood. Thanks again.

After the State ID fiasco, I thought that nothing would come close to that one..

I went through about five CS before I found a nurse in an office that would let me argue her into believing I don't need a physical.. just a signature. SO I got an appointment. That appointment was last monday and I didn't go because when I called to confirm ahead of time, they said it was impossible since they are closed on mondays. I asked her when my appointment was scheduled for and I heard keyboard hacking for about two minutes.. then she says, "come on Nov. 1".

So, I call again prior to the appointment and she tells me that I cannot possibly have an appointment on tuesday as only on wednesdays do they have immigrant checkups done. Again, I had to argue the point of not needing a physical.. eventually the doctor called me back and I was asked to come in today , as scheduled.

All we had to present was the International vaccination book and her passport (they wanted her "A" number, so good thing I brought the passport and not that stupid MASS ID alone).

The doctor finally saw us and looks at the photocopies the nurse made of the passport and starts asking me what this says. I open the passport (nothing like just going to the source) and told him.

Then he looks in the "Yellow" book... pauses...and says, "I don't read chinese". :redblob: :redblob: :redblob:

I pointed to one line and said, "Td... Tenanus". He started to write onto the I-693.

Then he got down to the line labeled "MMR"... and he paused.. and paused.. I wondered if he was trying to read the chinese again :redblob:

Finally he says, "you need two of these" (implying the booster).

I said, "I only need one for the adjustment"; he said, "you need two".

I said, "I only need one for the adjustment"; he said, "I'm a doctor, don't argue with me"... then looked at the I-693 for a while .... and said he could check the 'waiver' box at the bottom (?)

Then he asked for some proof for the chicken pox vaccination.. and I told him to look at her arm. He said that a scar on the body can occur for any reason and he needed proof or she needed a test or a shot.

So, off we went to the nearby hospital to have blood drawn.

The doctor said the test would take 2 days; the lady at the computer said it would take 4-5 days; the lady taking blood said it would take 7-10 days... :redblob:

----

Where is it stated that the booster isn't needed for the adjustment of status ? I want to make sure he checks the 'completed' box and not a waiver box, but I'm sure I'll have to prove him wrong...