State ID for SO

Well, it seems in MA, they will do anything to make getting a state ID difficult. I'm am very lucky to walk away from my second attempt, and only got it because the manager 'turned an eye' to the rules...

First, I went to the DMV with the passport, SSN (including the envelope addressed to her) and certified copy of marriage cert...

Here are the four items to provide:

1) First Primary doc (usually people use the passport or SSN)

2) Proof of residency

3) Proof of birth

4) Proof of signature

DMV said no article of proof can be used more than once; As well, something other than the passport and SSN must be used as a second 'primary document'...

On my first visit, they said I did not have anything with proof of residency... It is on the marriage cert but this is a secondary doc... and it is on the envelope that the SSN came in but I cannot use the SSN for two proofs... also, this left me with no second 'primary doc', I was told to get her added to the bank account and then bring in a statement showing our names and address.

---

On my second trip, I brought back the bank statement as well as her notarial birth certificate from China. So now, I was armed with 5 documents to show she is able to get a state ID...

Now I had proof of residency, but they said I did not have proof of signature !! I showed that it was on the SSN, but they said this is needed as the primary doc and cannot be used for the signature.

I said to use the passport as the primary doc instead, but she said it is needed for the birth proof; I said to use the marriage license as the birth proof, but she said this secondary doc; I said to use the birth cert from China translated to english as birth proof, and she said that it must be translated inside the US !!

She said I could call Boston to complain... mumbled quietly that this has become a real pain since 9/11 to issue IDs... then turned around and said her manager just stepped in and I could talk to her...

So in I went to the office with all the documents. She looked through everything and said, "where did she sign in her passport"... BEHOLD! on the last page of the chinese passport it says "bearers name" !!

She said to sign this and go back to the teller... then they can use this as the signature; Use the SSN as primary doc; Use bank statement as residency; use the marriage certificate as birth proof !!

We went back to teller with this and I explained it... thereupon she said, I can't do this.. you don't have a second primary document ! (remember the rule was needing a second primary document other than the passport and SSN; the bank statement and marriage cert were secondary docs )...

She took all my paperwork back to the manager to tell her that this cannot be done...

She came back and said, "the manager told you we could do it this way and forgot about the 'second primary document'... so she said that I can go ahead and do it anyway since she already told us !!!!!

David, you win. I think you have the best story about a state id that I have read.

The joys of dealing with the local stuff seems to just get better and better, what's next?  :P

163303[/snapback]

Lee, did you get a state ID for your wife yet? was it a hassle?

David,

My wife had no problem getting a driver's permit in Watertown, MA (near Boston). All I need was a proof of residence. I added her to my saving account. I think if you had gone to Boston DMV's office, you won't have any problem since they have Chinese speaking workers and they won't give you a hard time.

We will be going to DMV soon for the State I.D.

The SSC already arrived and all they said they need is the SSN and passport for photo ID. Should be no problem. SSA said to show them the SSN application receipt and they should do it. We went in but they needed the number (not necessary to see the card). Now we have the card with number so next trip should be a breeze.

David, you win. I think you have the best story about a state id that I have read.

The joys of dealing with the local stuff seems to just get better and better, what's next?0„2 :rolleyes:

163303[/snapback]

Lee, did you get a state ID for your wife yet? was it a hassle?

163305[/snapback]

That was the easy part, the driver's exam and driving test English only will take a bit longer.