Same here.

Then attempted to get her a state ID..

they asked for 'residency proof'... I brought the SSN still in its envelope, but they said they could not use that since the SSN was being used for another proof. Then offered the marriage certificate showing the address, but they would not accept that either... How more official a document do they need from the government or local town authorities ...

They suggested a bank statement.. so I added her to my bank account and got a printout.. Round 2 is probably today...

We've been waiting close to a month now for my SO's SSN card. After two weeks I called the SSa and they said they could not give me a specific date as to when it will arrive, mention something to the effect that they were waiting on clearance from DHS.

Any one have similar problem? We plan to go back to the SSA office where we applied for the card, then office to get our marriage license.

Same here.

Then attempted to get her a state ID..

they asked for 'residency proof'... I brought the SSN still in its envelope, but they said they could not use that since the SSN was being used for another proof.  Then offered the marriage certificate showing the address, but they would not accept that either...  How more official a document do they need from the government or local town authorities ...

They suggested a bank statement.. so I added her to my bank account and got a printout.. Round 2 is probably today...

163150[/snapback]

I am surprised that they do n't ask for your first born child

How ridiculous can they be in the Bay state ?

well I already know that answer

We have been living in SSN hell.

When we heard nothing, we went to the SSN office.

After some searching they found upon entry in the US that they had spelled my fiance(now wife) wrong, (an S instead of a G), and instead of her birthdate with the year 1972, they put in 2005.

We have been waiting on Homeland Security to get this straightened out.

What a mess.

And all SSN says is they can't do anything until Homeland corrects their mistake.

I feel all your pain. As a follow up to my earlier post, we ended up going back to SSA office only to learn someone with a "similar name" had applied for a SSN fairly recently too ( she wouldn't give me any specifics). So that was the cause of our delay. Yet, we received no letter or calls from DHS or SSA to inform us of this. When I said my SO's VISA and I-94 number were unique, so who cares if their names are similar, there shouldnt have been a delay, the female SSA employee just shrugged her shoulders...That seems to be a typical response lately.

To make a long story short, she informed us the problem has now been resolved in the computer and she told us it would be about another 10 days to receive the SSN. Hope they get it right this time. Lol.

Edited by riki37421 (see edit history)
I feel all your pain.  As a follow up to my earlier post, we ended up going back to SSA office only to learn someone with a "similar name" had applied for a SSN fairly recently too ( she wouldn't give me any specifics). So that was the cause of our delay.  Yet, we received no letter or calls from DHS or SSA to inform us of this. When I said my SO's VISA and I-94 number were unique, so who cares if their names are similar, there shouldnt have been a delay, the female SSA employee just shrugged her shoulders...That seems to be a typical response lately.

To make a long story short, she informed us the problem has now been resolved in the computer and she told us it would be about another 10 days to receive the SSN. Hope they get it right this time. Lol.

164618[/snapback]

Yeah, you have to be careful with those SSN people just like you have to be careful with those DMV people as well!...

Well, at least it is in the mail now. That's another chip off the immigration block!...

I feel all your pain.  As a follow up to my earlier post, we ended up going back to SSA office only to learn someone with a "similar name" had applied for a SSN fairly recently too ( she wouldn't give me any specifics). So that was the cause of our delay.  Yet, we received no letter or calls from DHS or SSA to inform us of this. When I said my SO's VISA and I-94 number were unique, so who cares if their names are similar, there shouldnt have been a delay, the female SSA employee just shrugged her shoulders...That seems to be a typical response lately.

164618[/snapback]

Yeah, you have to be careful with those SSN people just like you have to be careful with those DMV people as well!...

Well, at least it is in the mail now. That's another chip off the immigration block!...

164624[/snapback]

yep.. and now, on to the civil surgeon ;)

Got the SSN done today.

All they looked at was the application and her passport.

The receipt said "you can use your SS card for work only

if you have authorization from the INS."

Being a K1 I take that as she can work.

166260[/snapback]

Technically, she is authorized to work while her K-1 is valid. However, she has no 'proof' of that authorization. Employers will likely require an EAD or green card as proof.

166365[/snapback]

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm

Unfortunately, the Social Security card is the same one we got for Wei, and it does not satisfy I-9 requirements. We couldn't come up with anything they'd accept as proof she could work with the K-1. Get moving on the EAD. The one we applied for for Wei for the K-1 took only 3 weeks (went through CSC for that one, but you gotta cough up an extra $175.) Still waiting on the I-485-based one, though.

Good luck.

Got the SSN done today.

All they looked at was the application and her passport.

The receipt said "you can use your SS card for work only

if you have authorization from the INS."

Being a K1 I take that as she can work.

166260[/snapback]

Technically, she is authorized to work while her K-1 is valid. However, she has no 'proof' of that authorization. Employers will likely require an EAD or green card as proof.

166365[/snapback]

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm

Unfortunately, the Social Security card is the same one we got for Wei, and it does not satisfy I-9 requirements. We couldn't come up with anything they'd accept as proof she could work with the K-1. Get moving on the EAD. The one we applied for for Wei for the K-1 took only 3 weeks (went through CSC for that one, but you gotta cough up an extra $175.) Still waiting on the I-485-based one, though.

Good luck.

166386[/snapback]

I'm not in a big hurry to get her working. At this point the SSN is

for tax/payroll stuff.

I want to put her in ESL & Cantonese driving school.

Also I am on a four day work week so I would like to take advantage of that and show her California. I plan to introduce her to camping in the

spring and show her the pleasure of pulling a fish from the river and

tossing it on the grill.