How long does it take at the airport?

How long does it take to clear immigration at the airport?

We're looking at buying a ticket where the point of entry is San Francisco, the layover is 3 and 1/2 hours, and then she has a domestic flight leaves for DC. Is that enough time to allow for any snags? What are the possible snags?

We cleared immigration and customs at SFO. 3 1/2 hours should give you plenty of time to make your connection. I went through the same line as Jingwen and the kids. The length of time really depends on where you are in the line. Typically, it moves fairly quickly. Customs was routine despite carrying half of China's goods, wares, and merchandise, aka Jingwen's clothings, etc. Again, the length of the process is more dependent on how quickly your luggage comes out on the carousel.

I always suggest to folks that they complete the paperwork (customs form and I-94) while on the plane. It's a lot easier than trying to do it while standing in line. And, make sure you've got the brown envelope and x-rays with you - don't check them. I'm still wondering about the x-rays though. Nobody has ever looked at them, and Jingwen has her green card now.

SFO is not bad at all.....

We're looking at buying a ticket where the point of entry is San Francisco, the layover is 3 and 1/2 hours, and then she has a domestic flight leaves for DC.  Is that enough time to allow for any snags?  What are the possible snags?

162507[/snapback]

My question is similar but that the proposed point of entery is Mineapolis MN

and The Is on a SUNDAY

so my question is

if anyone has gone through there - it is an international airport and can you enter on Sunday ?

thanks

Sunday is not a problem, they usually open the customs at 8:00 AM, so you should be good to go.

We're looking at buying a ticket where the point of entry is San Francisco, the layover is 3 and 1/2 hours, and then she has a domestic flight leaves for DC.  Is that enough time to allow for any snags?  What are the possible snags?

162507[/snapback]

Ryan, is she coming into Reagan or Dulles?

162507[/snapback]

My question is similar but that the proposed point of entery is Mineapolis MN

and The Is on a SUNDAY

so my question is

if anyone has gone through there - it is an international airport and can you enter on Sunday ?

thanks

162531[/snapback]

US Customs in midwest airports tend to behave like idiots (too fussy) because they don't get the traffic and have too much time to dilly dally. One acquaintance brought back two electronic goods for personal use and they got taxed with import duties.

I would be careful about making plans that require being somewhere at a specified time. My SO was directed to the wrong line, waited 2 hrs to get to the agent window, then to be advised she is in the wrong line, sent to the back of a new line. Two hours after that she comes out. She could read the signs just fine, but the customs officers don't always make themselves available for questions like "Excuse me, but I think you've sent me to the wrong line" because you are just one of thousands that day, and some appear to have failed to get their merit badge in orienteering (and human relations).

I would be careful about making plans that require being somewhere at a specified time. My SO was directed to the wrong line, waited 2 hrs to get to the agent window, then to be advised she is in the wrong line, sent to the back of a new line. Two hours after that she comes out. She could read the signs just fine, but the customs officers don't always make themselves available for questions like  "Excuse me, but I think you've sent me to the wrong line" because you are just one of thousands that day, and some appear to have failed to get their merit badge in orienteering (and human relations).

162617[/snapback]

A common story. It could have been worse..

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)
For the port of entry, do we pick one or it's assigned to us?

My home base is NJ.  I want my SO get in from Newark or JFK

Have anyone of us been through these two ports?

162631[/snapback]

The port of entry will depend on the airline itinerary for the flight to US and the first airport that the plane lands in US soil. For example, if the flight schedule is Shanghai - Los Angeles - Newark, then the port of entry is LA. If it were Beijing - Chicago - Newark, then Chicago is port of entry.

For the port of entry, do we pick one or it's assigned to us?

My home base is NJ.  I want my SO get in from Newark or JFK

Have anyone of us been through these two ports?

162631[/snapback]

Continental has at least one direct flight from Beijing to Newark.