A newbie question

I’m new to this forum. Like many of you, I too caught the love bug while vacationing in China. I now found myself going through this process which only a few months ago would have never entered my mind. Perhaps it is fate. But whatever it is, my life is so much richer now with Xiao Xia.

While scouring the internet for some guidance to this mammoth K1 process, I stumbled onto your forum. And I’m pleasantly surprised by the wealth of knowledge and camaraderie expressed by the members here.

After much reading, I think I got a pretty good grasp of what I need to do. Before I contact my fiancé for the required paper works, I just want to run it through the members here. The following is what I think I would need from my fiancé:

1. Letter from fiancé certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US.

2. G-325A filled out and signed by the fiancé.

3. Three copies of finance's birth certificate - notarized and translated.

4. Three passport photos taken within 30 days of the date of petition.

Did I miss anything?

Dose anyone know a good place in Guangzhou for translation services, and for helping my fiancé to complete the G-325A form? I don’t mind paying for the service since my fiancé is still learning English. We communicate mostly in Mandarin, which I can carry at the conversation level.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

:crazy: Welcome Aboard Chris :bleh:

Sounds like you have it together pretty good. Maybe add a few more passport photos, seems like you never have enough.

You could fill out the G-325's yourself and send to her to sign, instead of finding a translator.

I hope you took some good pictures of you together, ones with family look good also.

You found the right place many many good people here. The Candle is second to none :D

My recommandation for the G-325A is that you send 2-3 copy of blank forms and she just sign it and mail back to you. You can filled it.

Because I went to the CR1/K3 route, I am not so sure what do you need from your SO. I think you may need a Notarized document that she is single and can marry to you.

Also, if she is divorced, your petition will need to include a divorce certificate.

I would advise against using a visa service to help complete the forms, just too big a risk that you would get more than you asked for. While it took a while I was able to complete the G-325a with my SO's help and she only needed to sign it. Typed forms are preferred by government employees.

The following is what I think I would need from my fianc?

1. Letter from fianc?certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US.

2. G-325A filled out and signed by the fianc?

3. Three copies of finance's birth certificate - notarized and translated.

4. Three passport photos taken within 30 days of the date of petition.

162387[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL...

The "letter of intent" should be translated to english.. or you can send her one which both of you sign.. and each would need a notary stamp probably.

I will say that it appears a letter from the beneficiary is not required, but if you can get it, do so. At least one from the petitioner is required.

--

The birth certificate is not needed for the petition; You do not need the translated birth certificates until the interview; you are about a year from that. You'll need a few different certificates translated and notarized; I'd wait till you are close to that time of needing and do them all at once.

---

For the petition, you only need to supply one picture with the G-325a. You will need many more later in the process (medical, interview, etc).

here is a good guide for the petition phase, see the 'step by step' for your visa type:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Finally, heed Don's advice.. as much as your SO will like to share the happy news of applying for a visa.. best advice is to keep it quiet till it is in hand..

Good luck !

david

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
Thank you Don and David for the cautionary advice. I have read some of the member's heartbreak stories. I guess you can never be too careful...

162759[/snapback]

Welcome Chris, it's nice to have you aboard. Just wanted to say that I had a very similar feeling after meeting my SO earlier this year. You have come to a good place. There is indeed a very special comraderie here on Candle. After all this process takes several months to complete and that does not include the time it takes to get all the required paperwork together. It's very important to be methodical and confident before mailing your petition. Draw from the wealth of knowledge that the old timers here can give. They've not only been through the experience themselves but also watched and contributed to the experiences of others.

Some get through the process more quickly than others. We'd all like to think that we will be fastest and truth is some go fast, well, relatively speaking they do. Someone's gonna be first and there seems to be a wide range between first and last. There always seems to be something weird going on in everyone's process. When it happens, some will make statistical comparisons, and others will quote the law. If you stick it out you will not only be one of the many in the world that are now learning the wonder of China, but one of the few Americans that knows anything about US immigration.

Okay, cue the fifes in the background....

"After all we're a nation of immigrants aren't we? Those that stick out this process from beginning to end are of the same mind and type as those that built the foundation of this country."

So, you're damned right your in good company, :huh: :( :(

I hope you and XiaoXia will be together soon....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)