Kansas English Only Policy

Today we spent 4 minutes to get the SSN and 15 minutes to get a state ID. Then the fun began...

We asked for a driver's manual, it was in English. I asked if they offered one in Chinese and got a snicker, then the lady said "We used to offer one in Spanish, but do don't do that anymore."

I asked if it was possible to use a translator for the written exam and was told the could offer a visual test, but the answer sheet is in English.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told to wait, the lady went back and briefed the supervisor and we were summoned rather loudly across the room. Now this was the same lady who had been so nice helping us with the ID card.

She bluntly informed us that the Manual was in English and my SO would need to know English well enough to understand the verbal instructions of the examiner. I asked if it was possible for me to provide a translator for the driving test and was told it was not allowed and she would need to learn English.

As she was already ticked off I had nothing to loose so I ask about how this complied with Title 6 and was told she didn't care what that was and I should leave.

Now I understand what was going on in the early 60's with the literacy test and poll tax to be able to vote.

It's amazing, Missouri offers their manuals in English, Spanish and Bosnian.

Well, stay tuned for future updates.

You should take a picture of the lady in the DMV and show it to all of the Chinese restaurants in town. Tell them what happened and tell them if that lady walks into one of their restaurants, only show them a menu in Chinese and tell them they can only order in Chinese. "This is a Chinese restaurant. If you want food, you must order in Chinese"

Wouldn't it be sweet to see her get a taste of her own medicine!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OR, you could get a dozen angry Chinese housewifes to picket the DMV carrying signs that say the DMV discriminates against Chinese!! Then call a few of your local TV stations, the mayor and the governator (I'm from CA :lol: ). If you can embarass the right govt officials, they will do a lot to repair their perceived image!! :huh: :wub: :rolleyes:

Iowa does not offer Chinese either (but we do seem to have Korean as an option...go figure).

I had yaya print this one off... WA DOL.  It had most of the same stuff as our Iowa one.  It helped her translate the Iowa one to English. Hope it helps  :huh:

162200[/snapback]

Thanks Neal, I figure this will help a lot and we will identify the differences in the Kansas manual.

I know it will be a while before she is ready to take the driving test, but this sure steams me. With Min's limited English she is not really aware of what happened and I am embarrassed to tell her how degraded I feel over this.

I have a lot of sample tests in Chinese (with answers). PM me if you want them. Yue studied the WA manual, but mostly the tests (for the learner's permit). She passed the test the second time. I told her she would have to pay for the third test :bleh:

They have only two different tests for Chinese in Alabama, so you can olny try twice in one day. Problem is it takes all day to get to take it once :crazy:

You may have a case for a lawsuit.  English has never been declared the national official language.

162182[/snapback]

The National Government doesn't issue driver's licenses.

162367[/snapback]

Is it the State of Kansas's official language :crazy:

You may have a case for a lawsuit.  English has never been declared the national official language.

162182[/snapback]

The National Government doesn't issue driver's licenses.

162367[/snapback]

While that is true there are a couple of things to consider, if the State receives federal funds any division or department who receives even $.01 is bound by Title VI.

The straight forward discrimination issue that could be pressed is that accommodations are made for Deaf citizens where the examiner does not rely on the understanding of spoken English.

The easy way to deal with this is to make this publicly known and ask why the state of Kansas chooses to discriminate based on race. While that was not their intent, it is the result.

Hey Lee, did you follow the process laid out by one of our more knowledgeable members? :D

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=144957

162450[/snapback]

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gif

This was supposedly the supervisor of the office. As we were requesting information and picking up a driver's manual nothing would have been gained by spending the day with this lovely lady as we had everything we came for.

I didn't have any documentation with me concerning LEP and proof that their division was required to comply or I might have just run the gambit.

However, when we return to get a learners permit I will schedule the full day and possibly have a witness or two on hand. I believe the process might change a bit for a civil rights violation compared to getting someone to do their job. I'll also consult an attorney who is knowledgeable about such matters before our next trip. :)

For some reason I thought I heard banjo music coming out of the back room. :D

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)