Police Certificates for her

If she registered in those cities with the PSB, then she would need a police certificate from those cities.

According to the instructions sent out in Packet 3, she will need certificates from "any city where she has resided for more than six months". I think Jatuke is right, if she has registered with PSB in those cities, she would need a certificate. If she listed those cities on the original application, my suggestion would be get a certificate from each of those cities. Better safe than sorry.

I would like to know if anyone knows if the police certificates, once they are in the files in GZ have to be renued, ours was from November 2001 and is it still good, I wrote GZ asking, waiting on there answer, our visa was approved Aug 20, waited on name check since this time, just don't want any more delays

I would like to know if anyone knows if the police certificates, once they are in the files in GZ have to be renued, ours was from November 2001 and  is it still good, I wrote GZ asking, waiting on there answer, our visa was approved Aug 20, waited on name check since this time, just don't want any more delays

At GZ, police certificates are good for one year from the date on the certificate. Our case has taken so long, we had to renew the certificates once already. Non-marriage certificate is also only good for one year. It too had to be renewed. In our case, we had to send in the new certificates with Packet Four because ours had expired already. If our case hasn't been resolved by the end of May, we will have to renew for the third time. :D ;)

I would like to know if anyone knows if the police certificates, once they are in the files in GZ have to be renued, ours was from November 2001 and  is it still good, I wrote GZ asking, waiting on there answer, our visa was approved Aug 20, waited on name check since this time, just don't want any more delays

At GZ, police certificates are good for one year from the date on the certificate. Our case has taken so long, we had to renew the certificates once already. Non-marriage certificate is also only good for one year. It too had to be renewed. In our case, we had to send in the new certificates with Packet Four because ours had expired already. If our case hasn't been resolved by the end of May, we will have to renew for the third time. :D ;)

Mick and all,

Here is the unsolicited advice to all of you:

Keep track of all your expenses of those fees, duplicated or even triplicated (invented word) fees and for gathering the documentation for this whole process. You never know when you need them and they will become handy.

Force of my professional habit --- I like to keep documentation on any financial matters.

I would like to know if anyone knows if the police certificates, once they are in the files in GZ have to be renued, ours was from November 2001 and  is it still good, I wrote GZ asking, waiting on there answer, our visa was approved Aug 20, waited on name check since this time, just don't want any more delays

At GZ, police certificates are good for one year from the date on the certificate. Our case has taken so long, we had to renew the certificates once already. Non-marriage certificate is also only good for one year. It too had to be renewed. In our case, we had to send in the new certificates with Packet Four because ours had expired already. If our case hasn't been resolved by the end of May, we will have to renew for the third time. ;) ;)

Mick and all,

Here is the unsolicited advice to all of you:

Keep track of all your expenses of those fees, duplicated or even triplicated (invented word) fees and for gathering the documentation for this whole process. You never know when you need them and they will become handy.

Force of my professional habit --- I like to keep documentation on any financial matters.

You make an excellent point Charlotte! We have kept track of all these expenses, including travel expense. What the "Authorities" don't realize is the fact that often the renewal of these documents requires that the applicant travel back to his or her home town in order to obtain the necessary stamps, etc. This is just another added expense. Further, although it is becoming less common in the more populated areas, some areas require the payment of "special fees" in order to obtain the documents. In our case for example, what should have cost 450 RMB actually cost almost 1000. The "asking price" was 1500 and was negotiated down to a little over 900 as a "favor" to Li. :D ;)

Hey Mick, good negotiating. My wife's cost more.

However, she has lived in a number of places where she was assigned by the government for various reasons, and we got one Police Certificate which just stated that she had no police record anywhere in China for her entire life. It didn't even come from her official residence, but rather where we were living at the time. Maybe that is why the "special fee" was higher. At any rate, GZ accepted it even though all the places she had lived for more than six months were listed.

Owen is right. The Notarized Police Certifcate is issued in a standard format stating that she has not committed any crime up to date while she is living in China. Whether she has committed crime or not is recorded in her Personal Record (in Chinese Ge Ren Dang An) so she can just get a written proof from her working unit (if her personal record is filed with it) or from the Human Resources Exchange Center (in Chinese Ren Cai Jiao Liu zhong xin) and with this proof she can get her Police Certificate done. This might be the easiest path compare to that of going to different Police Offices to get the paperwork..

There is clear discription in Chinese on 001 if there is any question about this. Just post a question if you can not find it (owing to the claimed complicated layout of that forum.)

I am one of the forum managers there but unfornately i can not change the layout of the forum, although i personally do not think it's an ideal one. :D

Hey Mick, good negotiating.  My wife's cost more.

However, she has lived in a number of places where she was assigned by the government for various reasons, and we got one Police Certificate which just stated that she had no police record anywhere in China for her entire life.  It didn't even come from her official residence, but rather where we were living at the time.  Maybe that is why the "special fee" was higher.  At any rate, GZ accepted it even though all the places she had lived for more than six months were listed.

Owen:

Good to hear from you my friend. How was the trip of to Xiamen and where the hey are you now? :huh:

Yes, the last certificates we obtained we were able to get here in Shantou, stating she had no record anywhere in China. It took some negotiating to obtain these however, along with some guanxi from school officials. :D

Keep me posted as to your travel schedule. Can you believe that Frenchman finally got his clearance? :o

We are still in Xiamen. Buying tickets to leave tomorrow. Maybe off for a couple of days at Shanghai, then back home. We called the school today to check on whether a notice had arrived, but nothing yet, so we might as well play a little more before its back to the salt mines. Climbed the mountain to get a look at the Jimen Dao, the Taiwanese island, but too much haze to see that far. The wife and family are plotting to have me teach at Xiamen next year so that we can buy a building together. Told her that I would lose all my Shenyang guanxi and not be able to make so much income here.

We are still in Xiamen.  Buying tickets to leave tomorrow.  Maybe off for a couple of days at Shanghai, then back home.  We called the school today to check on whether a notice had arrived, but nothing yet, so we might as well play a little more before its back to the salt mines.  Climbed the mountain to get a look at the Jimen Dao, the Taiwanese island, but too much haze to see that far.  The wife and family are plotting to have me teach at Xiamen next year so that we can buy a building together.  Told her that I would lose all my Shenyang guanxi and not be able to make so much income here.

True, you would have to make a few trade-offs to go to Xiamen. But think of it like this, you could thaw out. And if your lucky, get hit by a few typhoons. ;) :lol:

Keep me posted as to your whereabouts in case something interesting breaks loose. I e-mailed Richard Adams today, thanking him for his time and efforts and made a few inquiries into the current state of affairs. I suspect he won't be back in the office until tomorrow.

And for sure, let me know when you get back to the frozen tundra. I really enjoyed our time together.