How long do I have to stay in the US?

Hi, I have a qustion. My K3 visa interview has been scheduled, but CR1 packet is just on the way to GZ from NVC. I am going to enter US with K3 visa 1 months for Christmas holiday and have to come back to China and wait for CR1 interview. Is there anything I have to do after entry US? How long do I have to stay in US? Thanks!!

Hi, I have a qustion.  My K3 visa interview has been scheduled,  but CR1 packet is just on the way to GZ from NVC.  I am going to enter US with K3 visa 1 months for Christmas holiday and have to come back to China and wait for CR1 interview. Is there anything I have to do after entry US?  How long do I have to stay in US? Thanks!!

160850[/snapback]

Thanks. Yes, what I mean is I just want to stay in the US around 30 days with K3 , back to China to work and also wait for CR1 interview. Just hope not to cause any problem.

Hi, I have a qustion.  My K3 visa interview has been scheduled,  but CR1 packet is just on the way to GZ from NVC.  I am going to enter US with K3 visa 1 months for Christmas holiday and have to come back to China and wait for CR1 interview.   Is there anything I have to do after entry US?  How long do I have to stay in US?   Thanks!!

160850[/snapback]

Thanks. Yes, what I mean is I just want to stay in the US around 30 days with K3 , back to China to work and also wait for CR1 interview. Just hope not to cause any problem.

160856[/snapback]

With the K3 visa, you can come and go as you please. At the POE, you'll be given an I-94 entry/exit card that will be stapled to your passport. Keep track of that card.

Like Frank says, it's a multi entry visa and good for 2 years. There's no limits involved that I'm aware of.

-good luck

Hi, I have a qustion.  My K3 visa interview has been scheduled,  but CR1 packet is just on the way to GZ from NVC.  I am going to enter US with K3 visa 1 months for Christmas holiday and have to come back to China and wait for CR1 interview.   Is there anything I have to do after entry US?  How long do I have to stay in US?   Thanks!!

160850[/snapback]

I have posted the following message before:

"...During China national day holidays, I received my K3 interview appointment. Encouraged by CFL members, I sent GUZ an email asking them to give me the IR1 interview instead. Within this one week we have made two rounds of emails and today I received my P4 by express mail (including an interview appointment for IR1)!..."

And, on this new appointment letter, it's stated that my K3 process has been replaced by this IR1 process.

We have been married for over 2years so I have IR1 interview. It's similar to CR1 as I understand.

My advice: Hurry up! send an email (using the email form on GUZ website), you may get an interview for CR1 instead.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

160850[/snapback]

I have posted the following message before:

"...During China national day holidays, I received my K3 interview appointment. Encouraged by CFL members, I sent GUZ an email asking them to give me the IR1 interview instead. Within this one week we have made two rounds of emails and today I received my P4 by express mail (including an interview appointment for IR1)!..."

And, on this new appointment letter, it's stated that my K3 process has been replaced by this IR1 process.

We have been married for over 2years so I have IR1 interview. It's similar to CR1 as I understand.

My advice: Hurry up! send an email (using the email form on GUZ website), you may get an interview for CR1 instead.

160932[/snapback]

Why do I read that people opt to cancel the K3 interview and choose to go the CR1 interview instead? I read about people even making special trips back to china for these CR1 interviews... Why not take the K3 and adjust status later? Why does everybody so much more desire the CR1? I wish somebody could explain this to me?

Thanks,

Scott

Why do I read that people opt to cancel the K3 interview and choose to go the CR1 interview instead? I read about people even making special trips back to china for these CR1 interviews... Why not take the K3 and adjust status later? Why does everybody so much more desire the CR1? I wish somebody could explain this to me?

Thanks,

Scott

161425[/snapback]

It's probably a personal preference based in part on timing. If both the K-3 and CR/IR-1 are coming up for an interview at about the same time, some people feel that going with the CR/IR-1 dispenses with having to adjust status later since the CR/IR-1 is an immigrant visa, and the K-3 is not. Also, the CR/IR-1 does not require an EAD while the K-3 does.

Personally, I don't see much benefit if the spouse has already come to the US on a K-3 and then goes back to the foreign country to finish with the CR/IR-1 process. Some have done it, but I'd venture a guess that most probably just adjust status here in the US.

The only advantage I can see is that the CR1 does not have to wait but a few weeks for the green card to be mailed after entry and the K-3 would need to pay extra to get EAD if they planned on working.

If the AOS process took more than a year the EAD would have to be renewed.

It's just a matter of preference and need.

For us married couples, we have to first apply for CR1 or IR1 before we are eligible to apply for K3. So usually by the time K3 case comes along, we have already paid for CR1(or IR1) and did all the paper work for it. If we go ahead with K3 it means we have to also pay for K3.

The issue is not only the cost, really, a few hundred dollars don't matter much comparing to our time and effort. The real point is:

If we go ahead with k3, used this non-immigrant visa to get into the States, what follows is either to come back to Guangzhou when our CR1/IR1 interview is scheduled or to file AOS. The former one means an extra trip back to China (unless we plan to), the latter one means paper work start all over again (and of course payment again). For AOS, you basicly have to fill out as much forms as you originally filled out for CR1/IR1.

This is why I prefer to have a CR1/IR1 interview if it is not much later than K3 interview. And I was talking about replacing K3 with CR1/IR1 interview with an email inquiry, this is certainly a worthwhile effort.

I assume that the immigration service also prefers us taking CR1 to enter US over AOS after arrive US, because the latter will be double work for them also.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)