Interesting discovery about DHL shipping...

I just bought something from Dell that has a packaging weight of 14.99 lbs. However, that is not the package weight that DHL has in their system. Rather the shipper reported a package weight to the DHL pickup driver of 6 lbs. Now, when you do the tracking, you will see that DHL is using the reported weight of 6 lbs. What is the significance of this you may ask? Well, most people on CFL know that if the package containing your case is 5 lbs or more, it will get stuck in a ridiculous 1+ month Customs Clearance at the DHL facility delaying the process even longer. If it is less than 5 lbs, it will be immediately delivered to GUZ. So, the moral of the story here is that NVC can in a sense dictate this delivery process by simply reporting package weights on either side of the 5 lb mark. Makes ya go hmmmmmm... unsure.gif

I've never really been convinced that it is a customs delay. I'm more of the mind that it is a convenient warehouse for GZ until they are ready for them. I'm no expert on international law but it seems to me any corespondence between the consulate and any other US government agency should fall under diplomatic paperwork status and not be subject to Chinese customs.

I think I agree with the giant warehouse idea or if you want to look at it as a giant file cabinet. When the files in the office gets entered into the computer it gets sent to the new visa center in Tianhe. Then they'll send the new employee next door to White Swan to lug the new files back to the embassy.

I've never really been convinced that it is a customs delay.  I'm more of the mind that it is a convenient warehouse for GZ until they are ready for them.  I'm no expert on international law but it seems to me any corespondence between the consulate and any other US government agency should fall under diplomatic paperwork status and not be subject to Chinese customs.

158917[/snapback]

I have to agree with Carl, It seems DHL is holding packages for GUZ. Document packages we send to China fly through customs, packages with goods go through clearance, but never more than 1 week delay. Back when I was looking at the DHL/GUZ situation, there was a repeated pattern of many weeks packages being "cleared" on a single day, that is not the normal process, so warehousing is the only logical conclusion.

Guest ShaQuaNew

My suspiscions and intuition tell me that customs delay relating to the movement of ANY government related document is simply the government doing what it does best: Pad, delay, shift the blame, and any other method you can think of that falls short of taking responsibility.

Because the DHS holds USCIS responsible for adhering to date requirements that is an obvious reason for them to let boxes sit in a warehouse or loading dock as a delaying tactic. While they sit they are logged as being in customs. One day cameras and live testimony will prove it.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Why doesn't someone affected by this hold, write their Congressman ask them why China customs is holding up diplomatic mail.

Also ask why DHL has our govt's business rather than a US company.

159057[/snapback]

I think someone did one time. R2D2.

159058[/snapback]

Haven't seen him around since then, have you?

Why doesn't someone affected by this hold, write their Congressman ask them why China customs is holding up diplomatic mail.

Also ask why DHL has our govt's business rather than a US company.

159057[/snapback]

I think someone did one time. R2D2.

159058[/snapback]

Yea , Like FedEx

now that's a good choice !!!

Absolutely postively incompedient!!!

My experience with them has been very poor.

They consistently are late and one time they lost my passport for 3 days.

Besides the poor service , they sometimes have offensive drivers

I perfer DHL any day

I have shipped packages over 6 lbs (one was 8 lbs and the other 6.5 lbs), and they were received within two weeks, sent through US Post Office priority shipments. More like ten days recently in last 3 months. One was only one week to a major city. Guangzhou is a major city, for sure and absolutely without any doubt. I sent photo albums and small gift items like vitamins, nutrient supplements, and toys. I don't believe the custom delay baloneys with the DHL packages. Too many custom delays phoney baloney excuses.

• 1 month later...

Why is it that every other Country destination, the packages are delivered and signed for within 4 days. Even Beijing and HongKong are delivered in 4 days. Guangzhou is the only destination that goes into the "on hand" waiting period. Is this all about the GUZ policy to let them sit? I know, this subject has been beaten to death. :o