k3 aos med

Does anybody know what medical requirements are needed for K3 AOS? I was reading the form and it dosen't say anything about k3. Is it the same as K1, just getting the sup. Shots at a civil surgeon? Or do we need to do the whole medical again once in the states.

Real confused.

The Triggster is correct - from http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm :

"...If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon..."

Cool, I'll be sure to take a print out of that website when we go to the Civil Surgeon. That along with our own I-693 sup. worksheet and the chart that says which vaccinations we need.

Just to confirm: There are 3 vaccinations needed, right?

1) MMR

2) Varicella

3) Adult Tetanus

Also, do we get these just once, or do we have to get them twice, 30 days apart?

We want to know exactly to the tee what we are going to need. I've been reading a lot on this site and on visajourney that sometimes Civil Surgeons rip off immigrants and get them to do the whole medical exam again, along with lots of unrequired shots.

Thanks so much for helping us get ready!

I believe everything is up to the civil surgeon's discretion. Unfortunately, different civil surgeons will have different opinions. The one I went to had no idea what was needed, and basically needed me to tell him what to do and what to sign where. There's no defininitive requirement, just suggestions and guidance per the CDC website. The civil surgeons are (theoretically) qualified to make a command decision as to what's really needed for each case. I'd suggest printing the vaccination chart, along with the other info on the CDC website in case you get someone who doesn't know what to do. I'd also suggest getting the vaccinations done at your regular primary care physician if your insurance will cover them... Also beware that many (most?) civil surgeons will want to do a full exam, even though it is not required. They do this so they can charge you for a full exam. Call around until you find one that will simply review your vaccinations and sign off on the form, charging less than $50.

I also believe it is mostly up to the civil surgeons discretion. One doc told me she would HAVE to get 6 shots, another just said she would probably just need a tetanus shot. Guess which one we went to. We showd the doc some papers all in Chinese and told him they were vaccinations and the doc bought it!

There is no set "standard" required shots.

Check with several civil surgeons, or, go to your county health dept. to get the shots and have a civil surgeon sign off on them for $20 to $40

good luck!