Can I teach?

Guest lorry

Hello everyone,

I am an English teacher back in China and I am now in usa waiting for my greencard.I want to plan for my future job, because I teach so maybe I think it will be easy for me to take up teaching job again in usa.I know I may not teach the same grade( I teach high school in china, maybe I can teach elementary in usa?) . But the problem is that I have to get a certain kind of certificate in order to teach in usa, right? What is the name of the kind of certificate? Where and How can I get it?

lorry

A teaching certificate requires a certain amount of training at an accredited university (I think about 2 years of requirements here in Texas). This training varies by state. Check with your state university.

A private school, however, may not be so stringent, especially one for Chinese students.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

You may want to get certified to teach English as a Second Language (ESL). Check with the Teachers' Colleges near you. Explain your background, experience and education (have your transcripts with you).

They might be able to give you credit based on these towards the dgree. That would save you time.

Right- in the states you will have to teach Chinese- and I think you would at least be able to find a small school or you could start tutoring yourself. Actually- there is a language school that rents an office with me and they have started a Chinese class now so it is getting more and more popular as a language. Especially if you are in a larger city you will be able to find something.

In order to teach in a public school anywhere in the USA you need at least a bachelor's degree and a certification to teach. The certification typically consists of five courses and a student teaching experience. There are many ways in which one can get this certification. If you already have a four year bachelor's degree then it will take about one year of school to be a public school teacher. Private schools do not require a certification to teach but they do require the four year degree. Private school salaries are much lower than public schools.