I-134...Unusual situation...

Ok, here's my deal...hope someone can provide some good advice for what I should do here...

I bought a one-way ticket to China for October 17th and my plan is to stay there with my wife and family until the end of February or even later if the interview isn't by then. I will obviously not be working while I'm there as my laopo won't let me. B) This will be the second long-term visit to China this year and being self-employed I really haven't worked at all in 2005, so I don't meet the minimum guidelines for the I-134. I will need to have my father Co-sponsor for me. Now, here is where I'm confused at what to do. Since I can't get any notarizations or statements from banks while in China, how should I handle this? Will it be ok to get the paperwork and requirements just before I leave even though the dates will be at least 5 months old by the time the interview comes? Just tripping all over myself on this particular situation... :P Thanks to anyone that can advise me here...

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
Ok, here's my deal...hope someone can provide some good advice for what I should do here...

I bought a one-way ticket to China for October 17th and my plan is to stay there with my wife and family until the end of February or even later if the interview isn't by then. I will obviously not be working while I'm there as my laopo won't let me. B) This will be the second long-term visit to China this year and being self-employed I really haven't worked at all in 2005, so I don't meet the minimum guidelines for the I-134. I will need to have my father Co-sponsor for me. Now, here is where I'm confused at what to do. Since I can't get any notarizations or statements from banks while in China, how should I handle this? Will it be ok to get the paperwork and requirements just before I leave even though the dates will be at least 5 months old by the time the interview comes? Just tripping all over myself on this particular situation... :P  Thanks to anyone that can advise me here...

156866[/snapback]

You should have no problem as long as your father meets the mimimum guidelines, agrees to sponsor, and completes the required paperwork. Your best bet is to complete all the forms before you leave, and leave the date open on the forms, to be completed at the appropriate time as its only good for ninety (90) days. When that date arrives your father will need to get it notarized. Make it easy on him addressing an envelope and providing comprehensive mailing instructions.

I bought a one-way ticket to China for October 17th and my plan is to stay there with my wife and family until the end of February or even later if the interview isn't by then. I will obviously not be working while I'm there as my laopo won't let me. B) This will be the second long-term visit to China this year and being self-employed I really haven't worked at all in 2005, so I don't meet the minimum guidelines for the I-134. I will need to have my father Co-sponsor for me. Now, here is where I'm confused at what to do. Since I can't get any notarizations or statements from banks while in China, how should I handle this? Will it be ok to get the paperwork and requirements just before I leave even though the dates will be at least 5 months old by the time the interview comes? Just tripping all over myself on this particular situation... :P?Thanks to anyone that can advise me here...

156866[/snapback]

You should have no problem as long as your father meets the mimimum guidelines, agrees to sponsor, and completes the required paperwork. Your best bet is to complete all the forms before you leave, and leave the date open on the forms, to be completed at the appropriate time as its only good for ninety (90) days. When that date arrives your father will need to get it notarized. Make it easy on him addressing an envelope and providing comprehensive mailing instructions.

156869[/snapback]

Thank you so much Jesse! This is exactly what I've been thinking to do, but needed someone else to help confirm this thinking in my mind... :P What about getting a notarization for me from my bank? No way in hell can I accomplish this while I'm abroad... B)

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)

Do as you suggested and get all your paperwork from the bank(s) and anywhere else that you think can suppliment the I-134 before you leave for China.

The I-134 is good for longer than 90 days. I can't recall but I think it is valid for a year along with the paperwork. I know that police records from the PSB in China are valid for a year.

So you should be able to handle the I-134 with no problem especially since your father is cosponsering it for you.

-good luck and have a good trip

I bought a one-way ticket to China for October 17th and my plan is to stay there with my wife and family until the end of February or even later if the interview isn't by then. I will obviously not be working while I'm there as my laopo won't let me. B) This will be the second long-term visit to China this year and being self-employed I really haven't worked at all in 2005, so I don't meet the minimum guidelines for the I-134. I will need to have my father Co-sponsor for me. Now, here is where I'm confused at what to do. Since I can't get any notarizations or statements from banks while in China, how should I handle this? Will it be ok to get the paperwork and requirements just before I leave even though the dates will be at least 5 months old by the time the interview comes? Just tripping all over myself on this particular situation... :)?Thanks to anyone that can advise me here...

156866[/snapback]

156869[/snapback]

Thank you so much Jesse! This is exactly what I've been thinking to do, but needed someone else to help confirm this thinking in my mind... :P What about getting a notarization for me from my bank? No way in hell can I accomplish this while I'm abroad... :P

156871[/snapback]

You can notarize papers at the main consulate.. if it is a required notarization, they are supposed to do it for free. :rolleyes: So your not totally without that option.

I agree.. get the paperwork you can get now.. The employer letter is not applicable; the bank letter is not notarized anyway. Bring your last tax returns...

follow all the advice given here, TY's hits the main point of concern for you, and you can always leave instructions for the letter from the bank to be issued to you at a future date. Just provide the bank manager with a pre addressed envelope with postage. I did something similar a couple of years ago when I was out of the country.

I had a similar situation. My mother was the joint-sponsor on my wife's case. She just filled out the forms and got the financial docs when we needed them, then fed-exed them to us in China. I just went to the consulate and got it notorized for free.

...interesting side note, though. I had two notirals done. an 1-1834something or other for the initial immigrant visa done in Shenyang with a letter explaining why I don't meet the financial requirements. Total cost: $.0 But when I went to Guangzhou and did the notorial for the I-134, which had the exact same letter as the other notorial, they charged me for the letter. 30 bucks!

...Anyway...sorry for the rant. Have a great time in China!

I had my congressman's office write an official letter expaining the situation and a copy they obtained through my employer as well as their copy of my past 3 years of tax reports.

They had my sign it & then they signed it & placed their seal of approval on it.

No Problem. When it came time for the interview, they only asked my SO 1 question: How many times did I come there . Approved ;)

Hope this will help you