Petition for your SO

1) This question is about the petition you filed. The question goes to newbies, members still in the process and old timers. Considering what you have filed as in K1, K3, CR1, etc. With all the knowledge you have picked up and experienced would you still file the same type of petition if you had to start all over or would you file a different one and why?

2) For those who would not change the type of petition is there something you would have done differently in the process?

Mainly this is listing tips and avoiding pitfalls and or delays due to your experience in your type of petition. If we have enough input it could be beneficial to include some items in a FAQ or notes to an existing FAQ.

I was married in Hong Kong and processed my K3 through Hong Kong my wife is from the Mainland. I wouldnt change anything HK is very fast and efficient the only mistake I made was not filing the i-129f until months after the I-130 was approved because Uncle Sam said I couldnt file it. After a few months i said screw it I will try it anyway...once the I-129F was approved it was so simple and fast. Anyway goodluck hope this helps

We filed K-1 and I would still file K-1 But the one thing we learned and all those new should know, Is that the P3 could very well be mailed to you the petitioner and NOT to your SO.. That was want happened to us and a friend of ours.. Im not sure if we actually lost any time from the P3 to interview though even though it was an extra 3 weeks before we were able to mail it back to them. Just want you to know, dont wait to see if she gets a package 3 if you get the package 3.. Get her the papers asap.

If we had to do it over again, we would have got married in HK, not the mainland like adamchildress...man he was cleaver. My lady's aunt is even from hong kong :bangin:

dang...what were we thinkin'....anyway, don't really matter now cuz her interview is in 2 days...I'm really spazing...I fear and loathe GZ :unsure:

I had the same problem as Steve. We were delayed a month because of GUZ sending the P3 to the states instead of to my SO. We should have been having our interview this month instead of next month.

I would still file for the K1 just because she would be with me sooner than any other petition.

As for the lawyer I hired. I filled out all the forms and pretty much gave it to her to mail out. Was it a waste of money? Maybe, but I just wanted a backup and follow through person if anything went wrong!

If we had to do it over again, we would have got married in HK, not the mainland like adamchildress...man he was cleaver. My lady's aunt is even from hong kong :blink:

dang...what were we thinkin'....anyway, don't really matter now cuz her interview is in 2 days...I'm really spazing...I fear and loathe GZ :ph34r:

156579[/snapback]

Same here with me. I have a cousin in HongKong who would be thrilled to host the marriage. Unfortunately I was too dumb at that time, and did not know there is such a huge difference in the visa processing between US Consulates in HK and GZ.