On here there has been debate about whether or not to include as evidence forms showing you have sent your fiancee/spouse money. On the FAQs someone suggests that it actually may not be good evidence.

I noticed that on my wife's interview instructions (OF-171), they suggest bringing as evidence "receipts for money orders the petitioner has sent the applicant from the United States."

I might bring a few.

and if they don't believe it, you can always submit Trigg's financial statement..... he rivals the National Debt......

It is a good idea to provide the receipts for the money sent to your spouse!!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just remember...

..if someone or entity is requesting evidence that you have sent money, done something nice, cleaned your room, or been a good boy lately....

it is VERY important that you consult immediately with an alibi-giver.....

Some have tried to duck and cover. Still others have ventured to stay out late for the evening only to find a person with a mop behind the door when they arrived at this "alleged" later time....

Note: The alibi giver website is under construction, but should up soon.

I think the "no money reciepts" advice was for K1's not spouses!!

154849[/snapback]

Trigg, do you know what the rationale was for not sending "money reciepts" for K1's? I thought that would be excellent evidence of a serious relationship, so I sent a recent WU receipt in my Petition package. Doubt if it would be a show stopper, but am curious what the rationale would be. :D Thanks!

Sending a K-1 money could imply that you are "buying" her.  I don't think it's a good idea.

154922[/snapback]

Thanks, that's one way to look at it I guess. In my case, my SO was working 6 days a week, 9 hrs a day in a clothing sweatshop for 480 yuan a month ($60) and couldn't afford normal necessities for her or her daughter. She also had to ride her bike almost 2 hrs per day r.t. to work, so she was too tired to go to English class at night, let alone have any time or energy to study/practice it outside of class. After we were engaged, I encouraged her to quit that slave job, get a better place to live, spend more time with her daughter and spend the rest of her time learning English. She used quite a bit of money to pay for visa related documents and 1500 RMB for English class. I guess anyone that doesn't know how some Chinese single women struggle to live might view it that way, but anyone that is familiar with it might think it is a good thing and shows evidence of a genuine serious relationship.

Thanks for the feedback. I won't include anything further in the package for the interview.

The bottom line is that the VO is trying to weed out any fraud... and the FAQ spells out a few specific ones.. how a VO interprets the giving of money to a fiancee seems to be a small troublesome topic that many prefer to simply not disclose.

I tend to agree with not disclosing the giving of money to a K1. If she was asked, she would answer truthfully... I don't think it should be a worrisome issue. Decide what you'll do and have evidence and explanation... Get receipts for lessons, etc...

Guest ShaQuaNew

The chances are good that one can generate real problems for themselves by providing TOO much information, or information outside the bounds of what's required.

There is NOTHING, absolutly nothing in immigration law that stipulates that you must send money to a loved one to get approved for a Visa. A good rule of thumb is give them what they ask for and avoid overkill. Provide it in an organized manner. Good intentions mean little after a VO gets a negative perception of your case.

The Visa process is a legal case, so follow the basic rule that all attorneys give when their clients are questioned. BE QUIET. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Not trying to promote hysteria here, just the plain truth. Give them what they ask, no more, no less