Chinese people are very disorderly

one of the things i enjoy taking notice of is how clean a particular city is...

i think part of the reasons behind dirty city's in this country is that people move around alot.

there are not many folks born and raised and that still live in miami any more...they have all moved on. the people that live there now were not born there. so they really dont care about miami for the most part.

same with NY or any big city, i think the exception is Chicago

ok

for the size of city that it is its clean...i witness'd and was amazed of the fire department actually hosing and washing the streets down one night. alot of folks who live in chicago still live there...they have pride for there city.

now take an extreme, san fransico

you can not even talk about that city badly unless your looking for a fight. SF people love their city they really dont even want you to move there.

that is just how i see it....

Edited by izus (see edit history)
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to GZ but a number of cultures in the world simply regard spitting as good health. Swallowing excess mucous or chewed debris is scientifically unhealthy.

This is why we had spitoons. Spitting in America stopped as being esthetically unpleasing and a sign of poor education. Luckily spitoons are not used today. Imagine trying to find anyone legal to work to clean the spitoons in all our buildings. By the way spitoons were only indoors. Outdoors people spit on the ground. Many people still do today. Most food processing plants (as well as USDA regulations) state that spitting is prohibited.

Certainly Chinese realize that it is not approved of by Westerners. There is much less public spitting than 20 years ago. Ask someone who flew on a Chinese airline back then about the plastic sheet on the aisle to spit on. It would be rolled up with the spit as the plane landed.

Never been to GZ but a number of cultures in the world simply regard spitting as good health. Swallowing excess mucous or chewed debris is scientifically unhealthy.

This is why we had spitoons. Spitting in America stopped as being esthetically unpleasing and a sign of poor education. Luckily spitoons are not used today. Imagine trying to find anyone legal to work to clean the spitoons in all our buildings. By the way spitoons were only indoors. Outdoors people spit on the ground. Many people still do today. Most food processing plants (as well as USDA regulations) state that spitting is prohibited.

Certainly Chinese realize that it is not approved of by Westerners. There is much less public spitting than 20 years ago. Ask someone who flew on a Chinese airline back then about the plastic sheet on the aisle to spit on. It would be rolled up with the spit as the plane landed.

153991[/snapback]

D'ya think i coud push my way to the head of the line in order to apply for the spittoon cleaner job??

153991[/snapback]

D'ya think i coud push my way to the head of the line in order to apply for the spittoon cleaner job??

153993[/snapback]

proud of you Trigg

always out looking for the second job to take care of those pesky credit cards that just NEVER STOP!!!

:yahoo: :bangin: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Wow!  Either the GZ residents are very different or all the places I've been in China are largely populated by non-locals.

:rolleyes:

153986[/snapback]

No, it's just an example of the Cantonese superiority complex. So many people come to Guangdong from other provinces, there is a very clear line between locals and "beilao." Beilao is a term that literally means "old notherner" but has much more negative connotations (just as the Cantonese "gweilou" [foreign devil/ghost] has lost a lot of negativity over the years). It implies the person is dirty and ignorant, has bad manners, dresses their babies in split-crotch pants...a country bumpkin or peasant. The funny thing is, a Guangdong person will derogatorily call an outsider beilao even if they come from Yunnan or Hainan (south of Guangdong)! And they say the Shanghainese are uppity......

I just re-read this, and I hope you don't take offense to this, Bearbear. It's not a criticism of your SO or her family, just a general description of what I have learned and observed. I really think it's an ingrained response and most people wouldn't recognize it as some form of discrimination (except us uber-sensitive westerners). And really, who are we kidding - I learned to spit by watching the Cantonese! :P

Edited by xulei601 (see edit history)

153991[/snapback]

153993[/snapback]

proud of you Trigg

always out looking for the second job to take care of those pesky credit cards that just NEVER STOP!!!

:rolleyes: :P :wub: :wacko: :wacko:

153997[/snapback]

Second job????? Gheeez no man. I'm looking form a career!!

153991[/snapback]

My observation is that if it is in and wants to come out, let it come out.. spit, fart, and relief in two ways...

I don't see the need to make it my personal prejudice that anyone who does it is lower than me in some social way just because I was raised in a culture with a prejudice against it.

Today alone: Someone on the train dumped their drink onto the floor. At the restaurant, people are spitting food on the table and even on the floor, because they are eating parts of an animal or fish we find unsuitable for our culture. Kids are throwing trash in the street since the adults do it. Children drop their pants and piss...

153991[/snapback]

My observation is that if it is in and wants to come out, let it come out.. spit, fart, and relief in two ways...

I don't see the need to make it my personal prejudice that anyone who does it is lower than me in some social way just because I was raised in a culture with a prejudice against it.

Today alone: Someone on the train dumped their drink onto the floor. At the restaurant, people are spitting food on the table and even on the floor, because they are eating parts of an animal or fish we find unsuitable for our culture. Kids are throwing trash in the street since the adults do it. Children drop their pants and piss...

154066[/snapback]

OK, then following this line is it OK to take a dump on the floor of the restaurant?? How about sex in a crowded elevator?? Pissing off the high dive of a public pool??

Obviously even those of you with the I'm OK, you're OK, we're OK attitudes can see the need for some societal norms than go beyond saying "If it's their thing , let 'em do it" attitude!

The question is what are these norms and who is to say when they apply.

Well, I totally understand Mark62.  I sometimes complain to my SO and his friends and family about several things that I saw on the street:

1. People spitting on the street and/or public places;

2. Cast garbage anywhere;

3. Cut lines;

4. Bad driving manner;

They all agree with me, and they can't stand these either.

153718[/snapback]

Well Bear, that sound like what I see sitting out on the porch in the evenings in Tennessee!

153722[/snapback]

have you been to NY lately?

153725[/snapback]

I grew up in NY, China seems similar. I really liked china although after a while, you tre of it and want to come back home. Still, there are so many people, what are thier choice sometimes?? Have you ever seen puppies around the mother trying to find a open nipple?... "only the strong survive Dude"