Duty on gifts brought to China

Well it's less than 3 weeks now and I'll be getting on the plane to Nanning. :greenblob: Just trying to get a few things straight. If my research is correct you must declare all gifts you are bringing to China in excess of 2000 rmb? Also what is the duty you will have to pay? And is it only a duty for value over 2000 rmb or the total?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You know it is amazing how much things depreciate in value on those customs forms. Everything else is mine for my own personal use. And of course that 100 dollar bottle of Chanel was on sale for 10 dollars.

I have never been hassled entering China. Even taking my wifes engagement ring which was more than the 2000 RMB limit.

no one needs to know about that ring in your pocket...

i had a bunch of winks and smiles from all the security people everytime i would walk through a metal detector...

i would say its a ring :redblob:

they didnt even make me open up the case...

most of the time they'd just smile and say with a chuckel ohhhh...!! :greenblob:

im really not sure how this duty thing works but

please dont pay duty for an engagement ring

Well it's less than 3 weeks now and I'll be getting on the plane to Nanning. :exclaim: Just trying to get a few things straight. If my research is correct you must declare all gifts you are bringing to China in excess of 2000 rmb? Also what is the duty you will have to pay? And is it only a duty for value over 2000 rmb or the total?

152661[/snapback]

fewmgf,

IMHO, I have never yet been searched inbound to China. Outbound ? Yes! Inbound? No!

Unless you're packing a priceless painting, diamonds that shimmer in front of a customs officials eyes, have 50 bottles of Chanel #5 on top of all your clothes in the suitcase, drug dogs fall over at 50 paces from you when you approach, and a silk suit that appears like chrominum, I would take warpedboard's advice: Depreciate, smile gently at the customs, and move on to see your better half.

I have been in China 9 times. I always! I mean, always, have a great amount of gifts for the immediate and extended family! When I say great, I mean GREAT amount. Unless, you have red ribbons in your hair, your fly is unzipped, fall over a customs agent, or have bagpipers following you to announce your arrival in China; you have very, very little to fear IMHO.

Well it's less than 3 weeks now and I'll be getting on the plane to Nanning. :ph34r: Just trying to get a few things straight. If my research is correct you must declare all gifts you are bringing to China in excess of 2000 rmb? Also what is the duty you will have to pay? And is it only a duty for value over 2000 rmb or the total?

152661[/snapback]

fewmgf,

IMHO, I have never yet been searched inbound to China. Outbound ? Yes! Inbound? No!

Unless you're packing a priceless painting, diamonds that shimmer in front of a customs officials eyes, have 50 bottles of Chanel #5 on top of all your clothes in the suitcase, drug dogs fall over at 50 paces from you when you approach, and a silk suit that appears like chrominum, I would take warpedboard's advice: Depreciate, smile gently at the customs, and move on to see your better half.

I have been in China 9 times. I always! I mean, always, have a great amount of gifts for the immediate and extended family! When I say great, I mean GREAT amount. Unless, you have red ribbons in your hair, your fly is unzipped, fall over a customs agent, or have bagpipers following you to announce your arrival in China; you have very, very little to fear IMHO.

152853[/snapback]

Cerb....that was just hilarious!! Good advice to Forrest.

By the way, I will be traveling back with a lot of gifts during the first week in October. I will probably pack these in a separate suitcase. Do I need to be sure that I have it locked so nothing in stolen?

By the way, I will be traveling back with a lot of gifts during the first week in October.  I will probably pack these in a separate suitcase.  Do I need to be sure that I have it locked so nothing in stolen?

153029[/snapback]

I travel internationally constantly. Yes, you need locks. Don't submit the poor airport laborers to temptation. Buy the little combo locks that are approved by the US and lock everything. Make sure that all of your suitcases are locked in the same way so as not to invite undue attention to the one with gifts.

By the way, I will be traveling back with a lot of gifts during the first week in October.  I will probably pack these in a separate suitcase.  Do I need to be sure that I have it locked so nothing in stolen?

153029[/snapback]

I travel internationally constantly. Yes, you need locks. Don't submit the poor airport laborers to temptation. Buy the little combo locks that are approved by the US and lock everything. Make sure that all of your suitcases are locked in the same way so as not to invite undue attention to the one with gifts.

153030[/snapback]

Jim, good advice to everyone, thanks....

Well it's less than 3 weeks now and I'll be getting on the plane to Nanning. :unsure: Just trying to get a few things straight. If my research is correct you must declare all gifts you are bringing to China in excess of 2000 rmb? Also what is the duty you will have to pay? And is it only a duty for value over 2000 rmb or the total?

152661[/snapback]

fewmgf,

152853[/snapback]

Cerb....that was just hilarious!! Good advice to Forrest.

By the way, I will be traveling back with a lot of gifts during the first week in October. I will probably pack these in a separate suitcase. Do I need to be sure that I have it locked so nothing in stolen?

153029[/snapback]

Dennis,

I would agree whole heartedly with Jim_Julian. Lock all suitcases. The rules here simply don't change with any airlines. Airlines are airlines, Thieves are thieves, doesn't matter where they are, they are there. The same air travel rules apply to Hoboken, NJ, apply to Moscow, apply to NYC, Beijing, etc.

In regard to packing all gifts into one suitcase, I personally wouldn't do this for three main reasons.

1) Placing all items in one area allows even an NOOBIE Customs amatuer to determine the value and amounts very quickly if there is a check.

2) You probably will have semi to fragile items. Use the clothes to soften the pressures from the outside during movement to protect them.

3) In the case that there is a thief, who enters your bags, valuables are spread out lowering the risk that you will lose everything.

I would give one final piece of advice. Use combination locks since they are easily opened, your don't have to drag keys around to open locks when being inspected, and they are just as safe as a key lock. Locks are merely deterrents. A good luggage thief will get in if he wants to! It doesn't really matter what type of lock you have, whether it's combination or key padlock.

As my gifts are one Barbie doll, vitamins and gensing, not of really great monetary value, I suppose I can fit those into a small carry-on and fit into the overhead. Don't like to do this and can't understand why so many people do. But, guess I'll join them now. Need to see how much $100 of vitamins at COSTCO can buy first. Tomorrow I will find out what my coworker got for my $100 and then decide how to pack it.

Thanks for all your tips and advice!

(thanks Forrest, for allowing me to go off-topic with this)

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

China's customs is a nothing like they make you believe it is on all those travel websites.....Ive had connecting flights where theyve x-rayed my suitcase but didnt bother with my carry-on bag...Ive even asked them if they need to x-ray my carry on and camera bag and each time they said no...guess youd never put something illegal in a camera bag or carry on... Like the others, unless your sweating perfusely, waving a huge flag or down right ask them if theyd like to check your luggage,... they wont bother with you.. in fact each time Ive traveled through Beijing airport.. ive NEVER seen a customs officer at any of the red/green lanes.... we all just walk right in .....now entering the USA is another story.... lets just say its a good thing that shoe bomber wasnt hiding it up his pants or we'd all have to strip to get into the country!

153029[/snapback]

153030[/snapback]

i thought you were not allowed to lock your luggage anymore

i thought you were not allowed to lock your luggage anymore

153417[/snapback]

You can lock your luggage if you use TSA approved locks. They are available in any luggage store, some air port shops, etc. Basically they are small combo locks with a key slot in the end. TSA has a set of key that will open any of these locks. They will open and relock if inspection is required.

You can also lock your luggage with a non-approved lock but it will be clipped by TSA should they choose to inspect your bag.

Bag inspections are usually triggered when things cannot be clearly seen in the x-ray. For example if you pack a lot of paperwork for GUZ over something else the papers block or sufficiently obscure the details of what is under/over them and this may trigger a bag inspection.