US Customs arrival check

I am trying to do all the logistical planning well in advance of bringing my Lao PO and her daughter here. I will have a stretch limo pick us up at LAX and I need to know if the Customs check is just a cursory look at our (her) passports and just stamp and pass on. Or, is there anything else or additional time that I need to prepare for.

Thanks

(no, I'm not a rich man, just have a good friend who's in the limo service and, besides, be a nice way to introduce them to the ways we do things here in El Lay... ;) )

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
I am trying to do all the logistical planning well in advance of bringing my Lao PO and her daughter here.  I will have a stretch limo pick us up at LAX and I need to know if the Customs check is just a cursory look at our (her) passports and just stamp and pass on.  Or, is there anything else or additional time that I need to prepare for.

Thanks

(no, I'm not a rich man, just have a good friend who's in the limo service and, besides, be a nice way to introduce them to our ways... ;) )

152361[/snapback]

Yes. and Maybe. Will they single you out for a baggage check?

I was pulled out of a line once and held in a room for half an hour while the customs official read (and asked questions) about a business document I had (this was actually going to Canada). There is no predicting when they will do this, search your luggage, or whatever.

I am trying to do all the logistical planning well in advance of bringing my Lao PO and her daughter here.  I will have a stretch limo pick us up at LAX and I need to know if the Customs check is just a cursory look at our (her) passports and just stamp and pass on.  Or, is there anything else or additional time that I need to prepare for.

Thanks

(no, I'm not a rich man, just have a good friend who's in the limo service and, besides, be a nice way to introduce them to our ways... ;) )

152361[/snapback]

Yes. and Maybe. Will they single you out for a baggage check?

I was pulled out of a line once and held in a room for half an hour while the customs official read (and asked questions) about a business document I had (this was actually going to Canada). There is no predicting when they will do this, search your luggage, or whatever.

152363[/snapback]

well, I guess you do look a bit suspicious......jk

But, based on a non-search is it just a cursory check and stamp?

well, I guess you do look a bit suspicious......jk

But, based on a non-search is it just a cursory check and stamp?

;) :D :wub:

Yes - except for that one time, it always has been for me (the Canadian officials gave me a hard time in retaliation for what the Americans were doing at the time - they (the Canadians) did let all the tourists through)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks

152361[/snapback]

I have arrived several times in LAX. Biggest problem that you will have is time of arrival. This will be arrival and departure point for all of LA and since you are from S Pasedena, you probably already know how bad LA lines get! If you arrive in the daytime, you can probably anticipate approximately 20 to 30 minute lines and customs checks, due to other travelers. If at nighttime, you can cut this time by approximately 10 minutes on the times I gave you.

However, your time will increase if they decide to randomly select you to have your bags checked. This has happened to me twice and it generally will add 15 minutes on your time if you have a lot of baggage. The time will decrease if you have fewer bags, etc. I will add that the customs in LAX is pretty efficent. They are practiced and well organized, so it's not really a big hassle.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, however...I would caution you on one thing though, which I learned from a friend I have in LA. That is your limo driver. Insure you have change for phone, mobile, etc. LAX is very sticky about limo drivers hanging around the airport baggage claims, in the aftermath of 9/11 and several other incidents they have had. I'm sure that you have read about them in the Times. It's best to have the driver's mobile phone beforehand. Once you clear customs, immigrations, and are on the way to baggage claim, call him then. Generally, if he is in the vicinity of 1 mile to LAX he can be at the baggage claim in about 5 or 10 minutes max.

Thanks

152361[/snapback]

I have arrived several times in LAX. Biggest problem that you will have is time of arrival. This will be arrival and departure point for all of LA and since you are from S Pasedena, you probably already know how bad LA lines get! If you arrive in the daytime, you can probably anticipate approximately 20 to 30 minute lines and customs checks, due to other travelers. If at nighttime, you can cut this time by approximately 10 minutes on the times I gave you.

However, your time will increase if they decide to randomly select you to have your bags checked. This has happened to me twice and it generally will add 15 minutes on your time if you have a lot of baggage. The time will decrease if you have fewer bags, etc. I will add that the customs in LAX is pretty efficent. They are practiced and well organized, so it's not really a big hassle.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, however...I would caution you on one thing though, which I learned from a friend I have in LA. That is your limo driver. Insure you have change for phone, mobile, etc. LAX is very sticky about limo drivers hanging around the airport baggage claims, in the aftermath of 9/11 and several other incidents they have had. I'm sure that you have read about them in the Times. It's best to have the driver's mobile phone beforehand. Once you clear customs, immigrations, and are on the way to baggage claim, call him then. Generally, if he is in the vicinity of 1 mile to LAX he can be at the baggage claim in about 5 or 10 minutes max.

152374[/snapback]

thanks, Cerb. Yes, I will be in instant cell phone contact with my driver, just don't want to keep him waiting forever, especially when he is cutting me a deal, with gas prices being what they are....thanks again.

If you bring in regular suitcases it's a random search. Just pot luck. If you have those oversized duffle bags it's a sure thing that it's going through the machine. Once that's finish they might ask you to open it and take some items out. This is just witnessing their procedure exiting the airport.

One thing we found was that there are SEPERATE lines for "Non- Immigrant" as in "K" visas and "Ïmmigrant" CR-1's, etc. at LAX.

I had many times observed folks (on my prior returns from China) coming out of the plane at the Bradley Terminal and being directed to go to the LEFT SIDE of Immigration and most of them had a smooth go of it.

I expected this on OUR entry- WRONG! Immigrant visas go to the far right (to the right of US citizens even). It seems that ALL "Ïmmigrants" must take their bags to X-ray BEFORE being allowed to sit in a waiting area and be processed (also the preliminary agent directing people said "Finally someone that knows their visa catergory"- CR-1). It took us about 2 hours with only 3 people in front of us.  Richard

152595[/snapback]

This is very true and the non-USA citizen line seemed to take forever while I just breezed through the citizen line in my experiences. The baggage claim is as chaotic as a Chinese Wal Mart. To me, that was the biggest delay at LAX.