Visa and airline ticket

I saw quite a few people left China only within a week of getting the visas for their SO. How can they do that? If they bought the airline tickets in advance and got rejected for the Visa, there would be a severe penalty for refunding the tickets. On the other hand, if they waited until their SO actually received the visas, it would be too costly to buy the tickets in a week or buy from China. I know the most economic way is to buy a ticket from the US several weeks ahead of time. But I am wondering how those people can leave China so soon after they got the visas. Just take the risk or pay the hefty prices?

Seems a lot of people have bought cheaper one way tickets in China than in the USA, but I think what you do depends on your needs. Do you want your SO to accompany you on the return legs of your RT ticket? If not, that should simplify buying the ticket. It is also much less complicated for those travelling to cities on the west coast, especially if your flight will originate from GZ, Shanghai or Beijing.

I took vacation time after the interview so I could stay in China and travel with my fiancee to her hometown and accompany her back to the states. We bought the one way tickets ahead of time from the states, figuring we could stay in GZ for an extra week or so should there have been any problems.

Guest ShaQuaNew

After weeding through all the days, weeks, and extended months of ridiculous delays, I guess one is probably ready to receive a bit of good news and either take a chance or buy a one way ticket.

I bought a R/T for myself and one way tickets for Jingwen and the kids - wanted to make sure we'd be flying together to the US. Our return flight to America was 10 or so days past the interview date. Either we would cure any problems if the visa was denied or we would go back to her home town and pack, and say goodbye, etc. Fortunately, it was the latter.

One way tickets bought in China seem to be less expensive than in the US, but I was unsure about doing this and being able to fly together. Also, DO NOT buy R/T that originate in the US for your SO who would use only the second leg. Airlines will typically cancel your return leg if you do not use the outbound leg.

I bought a R/T for myself and one way tickets for Jingwen and the kids - wanted to make sure we'd be flying together to the US.  Our return flight to America was 10 or so days past the interview date.  Either we would cure any problems if the visa was denied or we would go back to her home town and pack, and say goodbye, etc.  Fortunately, it was the latter.

One way tickets bought in China seem to be less expensive than in the US, but I was unsure about doing this and being able to fly together.  Also, DO NOT buy R/T that originate in the US for your SO who would use only the second leg.  Airlines will typically cancel your return leg if you do not use the outbound leg.

152196[/snapback]

I would have to accompany my wife and my son for the trip to the States, as they speak limited English. I think I would have to buy a R/T for myself and two one-ways. I would not be able to accompany my wife for the interview due to my limited vacation time already spent in China (would that make a big difference?). I think I would also have to sign up for their health insurance even before they come. I hate to cancel their oneway tickets and health insurance if something happens at last minute. Maybe I worried too much. How did you post timelines?

Thank you all!

There willl usually be PLENTY of Chinese people on the flight to the U.S. (including stewardesses). Language is not a problem there. I will meet my SO upon her arrival in the US at LAX - saves a day that way (I'm in the same vacation situation).??To enter your timeline, click on "My Controls" on the front page and "Enter Signature".

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Some people have bought a one way ticket to China. But now since 9/11 don't be surprised to raise some eyebrows and do some explaining. Some Guangzhou travel agents near the embassy are use to seeing one way bookings to the US. As to whether or not the flights are cheap or not....? If you plan to book a one way ticket out of China it has to be in a large city. Smaller cities will not be able to book let along see international flights on their computer (especially smaller companies). Most deal with domestic flights only.

I saw quite a few people left China only within a week of getting the visas for their SO.  How can they do that? If they bought the airline tickets in advance and got rejected for the Visa, there would be a severe penalty for refunding the tickets.  On the other hand, if they waited until their SO actually received the visas, it would be too costly to buy the tickets in a week or buy from China.  I know the most economic way is to buy a ticket from the US several weeks ahead of time.  But I am wondering how those people can leave China so soon after they got the visas.  Just take the risk or pay the hefty prices?

152183[/snapback]

My SO has told me that she could purchase plane fare anytime at the same price in the month of September and October, about $500 per person to Los Angeles from Nanning through Beijing. She checks once a week and the price has stayed solid. "No problem" she keeps telling me. "Purchase plane ticket and leave same day"

As I was coming back from China tonight on CA943 PEK->LAX I was musing (mostly because the frapping seat power was broken in business class and I could only work for 3 hours) ... won't it be wonderful ... lao po coming to America ... sitting next to me in the dark airplane ... holding hands tenderly ... mmmm.

I guess I don't care how much that flight costs ... we will be soooo happy that we've gotten that far. :wub:

My SO has told me that she could purchase plane fare anytime at the same price in the month of September and October, about $500 per person to Los Angeles from Nanning through Beijing. She checks once a week and the price has stayed solid. "No problem" she keeps telling me. "Purchase plane ticket and leave same day"

152336[/snapback]

I will second that about the prices not changing.

Unlike the US where last minute flights can cost twice as much, flights booked in China leaving in 3 months or 2 weeks pretty much stay the same price. They actually get a little cheaper a day or two before the flight as an empty seat brings no revenue!

I bought a R/T for myself and one way tickets for Jingwen and the kids - wanted to make sure we'd be flying together to the US.  Our return flight to America was 10 or so days past the interview date.  Either we would cure any problems if the visa was denied or we would go back to her home town and pack, and say goodbye, etc.  Fortunately, it was the latter.

One way tickets bought in China seem to be less expensive than in the US, but I was unsure about doing this and being able to fly together.  Also, DO NOT buy R/T that originate in the US for your SO who would use only the second leg.  Airlines will typically cancel your return leg if you do not use the outbound leg.

152196[/snapback]

I would have to accompany my wife and my son for the trip to the States, as they speak limited English. I think I would have to buy a R/T for myself and two one-ways. I would not be able to accompany my wife for the interview due to my limited vacation time already spent in China (would that make a big difference?). I think I would also have to sign up for their health insurance even before they come. I hate to cancel their oneway tickets and health insurance if something happens at last minute. Maybe I worried too much. How did you post timelines?

Thank you all!

152200[/snapback]

As to your timeline question, from the main page use the My Controls link and you can edit your signature there.

In our case I am going one way and have already bought tickets for us to return to visit family after the interview. Getting back to the States, we will just buy return tickets after we have the visa in hand. Not a big deal in China on availablitiy or cost.