Progress in our case

Since I am not sure if this will make a return appearance in the near future, I am reposting the letterI recieved from Maura Harty's special assistiant (properly purged this time).

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

We have been in touch with the Consular Section in Guangzhou about your fiancee's case.  They informed us that they have also had several email exchanges with you. 

As I understand it, your fiancee's case was forwarded on July 21 to Guangzhou by the National Visa Center in New Hampshire via DHL express mail.  The Chief of the Consular Section has assured us that they will expedite the case as soon as they receive it.  Unfortunately, Chinese Customs sometimes holds up the DHL boxes for several weeks.  As soon as our staff in Guangzhou receives the case, they will contact your fiancee and invite her in for her visa interview.  Hopefully, they will receive the case in the very near future. 

I hope this addresses your concerns.

It took a while, but it looks like progress has been made.  I talked to Ying last night and she thinks we will have a October/November interview, but I am thinking December is more realistic.  Anybody have any thoughts?

151805[/snapback]

Someone else's observation on the "customs delay"

Guangzhou "customs delay"

Best wishes, guy.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More progress has been made.  I e-mailed GZ over the weekend and pasted in a copy of the letter I recieved from DOS.  I recieved a response last night that they finally recieved the case on Sept 3.  We are one step closer.  On to the next. :blink:  :toot:

152177[/snapback]

Glad to hear about the progress. Hope that a reunion is coming very soon!!

I hope so too. The Chief of the Consulate has assured our case will be expidited.....does that mean five months instead or six? :lol:

152219[/snapback]

Carl, you might want to drop a short email to the helpful person at DOS advising them that the file has arrived and ask if they might be able to give you an idea of what you should expect so you might be able to supply some hope for your wife.

I would not necessarily pass on any information to her until you see some positive movement from GZ though.

I hope so too. The Chief of the Consulate has assured our case will be expidited.....does that mean five months instead or six? :D

152219[/snapback]

Carl, you might want to drop a short email to the helpful person at DOS advising them that the file has arrived and ask if they might be able to give you an idea of what you should expect so you might be able to supply some hope for your wife.

I would not necessarily pass on any information to her until you see some positive movement from GZ though.

152222[/snapback]

I sent a nice thank you letter to Maura Harty's assistiant for her help. She responded back within a few hours with the following note. She did say that if I had any problems to contact her.

Mr. XXXXX,

You are most welcome. It does take some time for Immigrant Visa interviews to be scheduled. That is routine procedure due to all of the documentary requirements. Please let me know if you run into any additional problems.

Best of luck to you and your fiancee.

Sincerely,

Lynne

Here's hoping that things continue along.

• 2 weeks later...

I called the State Department to get an update. They said that the Consulate recently recieved and are processing it for what I understood is a security check. I asked her if it was the name check, but she told me that the name check was not necessary because that was already done by the National Visa Center.

Anybody got a clue as to what she means by the security check?

It seems like the more I know, the less I do know...... :blink:

Carl,

hopefully your case will be processed very quickly and you and ying will be together soon.... best wishes

Carl:

I believe the DOS/consulate term "security check" equates to our "2nd namecheck" term. I realize the DOS/consulate does not call the "check" requested by the consulate the "2nd namecheck". I think we (the petitioners) call it the "2nd namecheck" because the NVC does originate (at least for CR1) a "namecheck" while the case is at the NVC. I call this the "1st namecheck".

So even though the names are different, I believe the "security check" and "2nd namecheck" are the same thing. It is known that the consulate currrently requests this check on all cases. As detailed by other members the two "namechecks" are not the same and go through different government agencies.

I think even though your case will be expedited, this will occur only after the completion of the "security check" (2nd namecheck).

Using historical timelines this could shorten the consulate process by 3 - 4.5 months. I base this on the following:

1. After the consulate "enters the case into the computer" (P3), the average time to the interview is about 5.5 months for CR1s.

2. Completion of "2nd namecheck" averages from 2 - 8 weeks (wide variation here).

3. Interview scheduled 3 - 5 months after namecheck completion.

I hope and believe the consulate will do this for your wife. But, I believe they will do nothing until this namecheck is completed. So hope the namecheck is completed quickly !!!!

Good luck

Mark

Edited by mlspyl (see edit history)

Great news.

I called the State Department today. They told me that Ying's visa request has cleared the second check and has been returned to GZ. Now it is only a matter of time till she has her appointment for her interview. THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the State Department has been true to their word and has expidited Ying's visa.....For that I am very grateful, but I also feel a little guilty for having done so while there are others who filed before me and might be still waiting.

For those who are still waiting.....be strong.....your ship will come in.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)
Great news.

I called the State Department today.  They told me that Ying's visa request has cleared the second check and has been returned to GZ.  Now it is only a matter of time till she has her appointment for her interview.  THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

156973[/snapback]

Carl,

Happy to hear that some hurdles have been made for you and Ying... hope the good luck will continue.

Best wishes

Great news.

I called the State Department today.  They told me that Ying's visa request has cleared the second check and has been returned to GZ.  Now it is only a matter of time till she has her appointment for her interview.  THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the State Department has been true to their word and has expidited Ying's visa.....For that I am very grateful, but I also feel a little guilty for having done so while there are others who filed before me and might be still waiting.

For those who are still waiting.....be strong.....your ship will come in.

156973[/snapback]

and hopefully the GUZ will expedite it as well. Best wishes!