gift suggestions ???

Hi All ,

I will be travelling to london -Shanghai - dandong - dalian - shanghai - on 2nd of september to meet my special one ( second times ) and need some gift suggestion ( ie what chinese appreciate from abroad ) , I was thinking about the following :

- for the mama & papa coats ( dandong is cold in winter ) but i will get a headache just to work out the size conversion and fitting .

- for the sister ( make up max factor , she works in bank of china so it 's important to give a good impression ) - for her brother in law ?????? no idea ( all I know is an academic and love gadgets which men do not like them ) .

- for the nephew , maybe lego to occupy his mind for a while and leave me alone

- For my special one ( givency and dolce cabana )

American ginseng, vitamins and dietary supplements are big hits in China. A $20 bottle of antioxident formula runs $100 in Chinese pharmacies. This is one time it is cheaper to buy in America.

Be sure to put a credit card in a red envelope as a gift for her (the Trigg method) :lol:

American ginseng, vitamins and dietary supplements are big hits in China. A $20 bottle of antioxident formula runs $100 in Chinese pharmacies. This is one time it is cheaper to buy in America.

Be sure to put a credit card in a red envelope as a gift for her (the Trigg method)  :lol:

150955[/snapback]

Yea, put a red credit card in and envelope--Oh, DO NOT bring the ginseng pills---roots only!!

Another vote for American Ginseng. Also roots come thinly sliced for tea or whole root form for soup. Mama and Baba will appreciate your concern for their health.

I brought chocolates with mixed results. My SO doesn't care for sweets (except me :lol: ) others loved that Godiva chocolate.

Something made in the USA? I collect coins and bought some commeratives, some Texas quarters mounted on spoons and gave those out.

Edited by bobsmith (see edit history)

More specifically on the vitamin thing ... I gave lao po a 250 count bottle of One A Day Women's multi vitamins last trip. They were a big hit and now Mama, Older Sister, and Daughter want some ... so I'm packing 4 bottles right now (one extra because surely someone else will want them)

They were about $13 at my local Costco. The little things that increase their perceived value:

- "Women's" written in big letters (lao gong is so sensitive to ladies and their special needs)

- 250 ... a generous number

- "More Calcium" they identify with calcium deficiencies in women

- The pie chart graphic on the back extolling how they help women in five different ways

- The list of ingredients ... ahhh many many things!

I actually took time to go over all these things and probably will again. Only downside ... they are kinda heavy in the luggage.

i was surprised to see GNC in the malls of oriental plaza in beijing...

i didnt have time to check it out to see what was available

i just went through this same thing....

buying for everyone ;)

Chun asked me to bring her some hair nail and skin pills....

apparently a big hit for all the ladies.....i guess the popular one that she asked specifically for was the one containing Gelatin also known as Collagen (animal parts) :blush:

they can be purchased at GNC for 15 bucks

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

Edited by izus (see edit history)
Hi All ,

I will be travelling to london -Shanghai - dandong - dalian - shanghai - on 2nd of september to meet my special one ( second times ) and need some gift suggestion ( ie what chinese appreciate from abroad ) , I was thinking about the following :

- for the mama & papa coats ( dandong is cold in winter ) but i will get a headache just to work out the size conversion  and fitting .

- for the sister ( make up max factor , she works in bank of china so it 's important to give a good impression ) - for her brother in law ?????? no idea ( all I know is an academic and love gadgets which men do not like them ) .

150916[/snapback]

I give replies to these questions as a Chinese woman:

- for the mama & papa

American Ginseng or Deep sea fish oil. Vitamin pills are not appealing to elderly cos they always prefer vegies or fruit.

- for the sister

Skin care set by the Bodyshop. You can get it in the UK. I would think skin care is more universal than make-up cos you never know what color matches her. I've got a Bodyshop gift pack with a small bottle of perfume and a small bottle of body lotion in. The pack looks very decent. A Kenneth cole purse will be a nice gift too.

- for her brother in law ?????? no idea ( all I know is an academic and love gadgets which men do not like them ).

A collection of American coins and a collection of American stamps. A lot of academics like those stuff.

How old is he? Chinese ppl like buying "instructive gift" to children, so I would suggest a set of scrabble. He may not use it now but I think his parents will appreciate it cos it will help their son to learn English in the near future. :(

givency and dolce cabana perfume? If that's her preference. Personally I would suggest Victoria's Secret lingerie or a Swarovski ring.

Edited by corvette (see edit history)
Hi All ,

- for the mama & papa coats ( dandong is cold in winter ) but i will get a headache just to work out the size conversion  and fitting .

150916[/snapback]

- for the mama & papa

American Ginseng or Deep sea fish oil. Vitamin pills are not appealing to elderly cos they always prefer vegies or fruit.

- for the sister

Skin care set by the Bodyshop. You can get it in the UK. I would think skin care is more universal than make-up cos you never know what color matches her. I've got a Bodyshop gift pack with a small bottle of perfume and a small bottle of body lotion in. The pack looks very decent. A Kenneth cole purse will be a nice gift too.

- for her brother in law ?????? no idea ( all I know is an academic and love gadgets which men do not like them ).

A collection of American coins and a collection of American stamps. A lot of academics like those stuff.

How old is he? Chinese ppl like buying "instructive gift" to children, so I would suggest a set of scrabble. He may not use it now but I think his parents will appreciate it cos it will help their son to learn English in the near future. :(

givency and dolce cabana perfume? If that's her preference. Personally I would suggest Victoria's Secret lingerie or a Swarovski ring.

151117[/snapback]

Agree that cosmetics may not be a good choice. Was told by my SO that many Chinese women complain that they can't find good cosmetics in the US. Seems that they want colors that make their skin more pale whereas US women want to coverup the paleness of their skin.

Hi All ,

150916[/snapback]

- for the mama & papa

- for the sister

151117[/snapback]

Agree that cosmetics may not be a good choice. Was told by my SO that many Chinese women complain that they can't find good cosmetics in the US. Seems that they want colors that make their skin more pale whereas US women want to coverup the paleness of their skin.

151129[/snapback]

my girl makes a list for when she travels to hong kong just for that stuff...

make up and skin care products she can not get in beijing or just too expensive

hand cream

facial stuff...

etc etc