Certified marriage certificate

I don't know if you can get a "certified" copy. Everything we sent in was just a normal copy. If you feel the need, go to a Notory, they will make a copy and Notorize that it is a "true" copy. I think that is as close as you can get to a certified copy.

We submitted copies of our certified marriage license with the application and took the originals to the interview and SSA office. WE got them the same place we applied for our marriage license. We just waited about a week after the wedding for it to be registered.

Can I just submit the photocopy of our marriage certificate,  I don't know how else to have the photocopy certified, by who?

Thanks in advance

150783[/snapback]

Luke, with all of the different types of situations and visa's here you would probably get clearer answers if you would add a signature to your profile showing your wife arrived on a K-1 visa.

One thing that would probably be in your best interest would be to request a number of certified copies from the state or county depending on who handles this in your area. Then I'd just make a number of photo copies. With this you can walk in to anywhere and provide a copy of the original and show them the original for them to validate the copy themselves. Even the USCIS does not demand the original, you just need to be able to show it to them if asked.

And if you run into some poor misinformed public worker who does not understand that a copy presented this way is valid, you can weigh the cost of giving them a certified copy against the struggle it might cause accomplishing whatever it is you are doing.

I know in Kansas the certified copies from the state cost $12 each and it will take going through 2 supervisors before they will pry it out of my hands. ;) :toot:

Can I just submit the photocopy of our marriage certificate,  I don't know how else to have the photocopy certified, by who?

Thanks in advance

150783[/snapback]

Luke,

It would help if you provide a little more information. But based on the supplied info, you should take your original to a notary and have them copy and certify is as a true copy of the original.

Do like Lee suggests, give us more info in your signature...

good luck!

Edited by hankhoude (see edit history)

Since you're filing AOS, I'm assuming your wife was either K-1 or K-3. If K-1 (marriage in the US), you can contact the county or jurisdiction where you got married and get a certified copy. Maybe things have changed, but I don't recall sending in original certified copies for Jingwen's AOS. Rather, I provided photocopies and executed a form FC-29 where I stated that the copies were exact copies of the originals and that I agreed to provide originals if later required.

I was sent a RFE for my 130 regarding my marriage certificate, Apparently the 1st Translation that I sent in with the petition was lacking a few items.

I had a chinese friend do the translation of the 1st one

So now I had a company do another certified translation here in the states, I had my wife double check to make sure that this one is correct. Cross our fingers that they accept the new one. I am only sending them a photo copy of the original