What to take to the Interview

Some have recommended organizing by folders. Usually thin, clear plastic are recommended. As well, accordian folder with subdivisions.

The goal is for the beneficiary to easily and quickly retrieve requested information. You might want the beneficiary to mark the folders with a label(s) with comments in chinese, etc.

---

Here is what I think I will do.. using a folder approach based on the order in which I think items could be asked for.

Folder #1 is items for morning checkin.

Folder #2,3 for interview

Folder # 4,5,6 is for extra stuff as needed, but not anticipated to need to pull out.

Folder # 7 is for K2 documents.

Make a copy of everything. If they will take a copy instead of original, give copy.

---

K1

Folder # 1 (Eligibility proof)

1) Beneficiary Passport pictures (name on back)

2) Beneficiary Passport (or keep safely on person)

3) Receipt for visa payment (if not put in medical envelope)

4) Receipt for medical exam payment (if not put in medical envelope)

5) Petitioner updated "Intent to Marry", notarized.

6) I-797 , Notice of Action (NOA2)

Folder # 2 (VO requests, proof of relationship)

1) Copy of US Petitioner?s passport (or notarized copy)

2) P4 appointment letter (have a copy; usually put in medical, but asked for sometimes)

3) Photos ( be prepared if asked for early or recent; have best prepared, particularly something with familiy).

4) Emails Phone records, letters, , etc (same comment)

Folder # 3 (proof of financial support)

1) Employment letter

2) I-134 , notarized

3) Tax returns or transcripts, and W2s

4) If you put Assets on I-134, bank letter and other supporting docs)

Folder # 4 (proof of communication and past trips)

1) Past boarding passes, itinerary

2) Anything from trip, other than photos

Folder # 5 (proof of filing P3 and P4)

1) Copies of P3 submitted back

2) Copies of P4 submitted back

Folder # 6 (proof of initial filing)

1) Copies of petition items filed to Visa Center

FOR K2:

Folder # 7 (dependent items)

1) Passport

2) Birth certificate

3) Passport Pictures (name on back)

4) Police Certificate, if over 16

5) Proof of full custody

6) Additional forms/documents as needed

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Some have recommended organizing by folders. Usually thin, clear plastic are recommended. As well, accordian folder with subdivisions.

The goal is for the beneficiary to easily and quickly retrieve requested information. You might want the beneficiary to mark the folders with a label(s) with comments in chinese, etc.

---

Here is what I think I will do.. using a folder approach based on the order in which I think items could be asked for.

Folder # 4,5,6 is for extra stuff as needed, but not anticipated to need to pull out.

Make a copy of everything.  If they will take a copy instead of original, give copy.

---

K1

1) Passport pictures (name on back)

2) Beneficiary Passport  (or keep safely on person)

5) Petitioner updated “Intent to Marry”, notarized.

1) Copy of US Petitioner’s passport (or notarized copy)

2) P4 appointment letter (have a copy; usually put in medical, but asked for sometimes)

3) Photos ( be prepared if asked for early or recent; have best prepared, particularly something with familiy).

4) Emails Phone records, letters, , etc  (same comment)

1) Employment letter

2) I-134 , notarized

FOR K2:

Folder # 7  (dependent items)

1) Passport

2) Birth certificate

5) Proof of full custody

147084[/snapback]

I see that you suggest in Folder#1 to have a copy of the NOA2 ... is that required?

Some have recommended organizing by folders. Usually thin, clear plastic are recommended.   As well, accordian folder with subdivisions.

The goal is for the beneficiary to easily and quickly retrieve requested information.   You might want the beneficiary to mark the folders with a label(s) with comments in chinese, etc.

---

Make a copy of everything.  If they will take a copy instead of original, give copy.

---

K1

1) Employment letter

2) I-134 , notarized

FOR K2:

1) Passport

2) Birth certificate

5) Proof of full custody

147084[/snapback]

I see that you suggest in Folder#1 to have a copy of the NOA2 ... is that required?

147087[/snapback]

Great post David, I appreciate all the effort you've put into this process and sharing it with me and others. Looking forward to hooking up with you/all in GUZ in Spetember.

Regards,

Eric

Guest ShaQuaNew

147084[/snapback]

I imagine David's closet is alphabetized and arraged by color and season. His refrigerator has all contents properly rotated with all older products in front and newer in the rear..... :P

...great advice coming from David.....aka.....Mr. Organization Himself..... :candle: :lol:

Some have recommended organizing by folders. Usually thin, clear plastic are recommended.   As well, accordian folder with subdivisions.

147084[/snapback]

I imagine David's closet is alphabetized and arraged by color and season. His refrigerator has all contents properly rotated with all older products in front and newer in the rear..... ;)

...great advice coming from David.....aka.....Mr. Organization Himself..... :candle: :P

147134[/snapback]

ah... actually NOT. Like the plumber, where the only house on the block has a leaky faucet.. or carpenter, whose house is in need of an addition... My frig is usually empty since I often forget to eat .. :rolleyes:

It's just when it comes to software, data and information that I am thorough.. the rest of life is much more spontaneously led... ;)

---

---

K1

1) Employment letter

2) I-134 , notarized

FOR K2:

1) Passport

2) Birth certificate

5) Proof of full custody

147084[/snapback]

*stalks you*

David,

How about a written note from you and your SO that you will plan to get married within 90 days once she is here.

147209[/snapback]

Good point.. I left out the up-to-date "Intent to Marry".. which I do plan on having.

I've waffled over where they might ask for it.. For Medical Envelope or the VO during interview?

Those reporting in recently, stated not being asked for the medical envelope.. and I cannot recall an interview asking for it ! Maybe at morning checkin , it could happen ?

I'll edit the original list ... THANK Tony !!

David,

How about a written note from you and your SO that you will plan to get married within 90 days once she is here.

147209[/snapback]

Good point.. I left out the up-to-date "Intent to Marry".. which I do plan on having.

I've waffled over where they might ask for it.. For Medical Envelope or the VO during interview?

Those reporting in recently, stated not being asked for the medical envelope.. and I cannot recall an interview asking for it ! Maybe at morning checkin , it could happen ?

147215[/snapback]

Nice job David!! Thanks much.

I thought you did have updated intent to marry on your list... #5, only it said notarized and #7 doesn't say that. Do they want to see this letter be notarized at interview time?

Thanks again for the list - it's great!

Jim

David,

147209[/snapback]

147215[/snapback]

Nice job David!! Thanks much.

I thought you did have updated intent to marry on your list... #5, only it said notarized and #7 doesn't say that. Do they want to see this letter be notarized at interview time?

Thanks again for the list - it's great!

Jim

147231[/snapback]

:D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your SO can hand carry it .. already notarized..

She will do her own in front of the VO...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Just want to clarify - so that's passport photos of the beneficiary? Should I bring any extra passport photos of myself?

And the receipt for visa payment - is that for the payment made the morning of the interview? Or is that the receipt from way back when the petition was filed?

I've got all my stuff in manila folders now, and will move to an accordian folder as the great date nears.

Just want to clarify - so that's passport photos of the beneficiary? Should I bring any extra passport photos of myself?

And the receipt for visa payment - is that for the payment made the morning of the interview? Or is that the receipt from way back when the petition was filed?

I've got all my stuff in manila folders now, and will move to an accordian folder as the great date nears.

147243[/snapback]

I meant beneficiary pictures.. I'll edit that.

I cannot see any reason you need a petitioner picture... Your not allowed in interview anyway... Unless you are maybe going to extend your visa to stay longer.. very cheap to get in China if needed !!

Receipt for 'visa' payment: Your supposed to pay for the visa at an authorized bank.. prior to interview. Most are saying prior to medical, particularly if they want it !! The FAQ recommends doing it prior to medical.. I have heard mixed messages so far.

Never considered to include the receipt for 'petition'... probably good to have, you might want to frame it some day !! :blink: