I find that most Chinese people do not like cheese, especially if it is eaten cold. Some like the individual kraft style singles, but that big block of cold cheddar on a cracker is something that most can't handle.

There is similar product to cheese that some chinese, do enjoy however. It's called "Mei Doufu" which is a kind of tofu that is fermented and is very, very strong.

I think the first time my wife tried cheese was a few years ago on a pizza in Shanghai. Since coming here she's found that she really does like cheese, but not as much as I do.

I had a hard time finding cheese in China except for in the larger supermarkets.

I remember reading in a thread a couple of years ago about fiancee's interview in China in which the interviewer, having noticied that her SO in US went to the University of Madison, asked the fiancee if she liked cheese. She said she didn't know, but she was sure she could learn how to cook it.

However, just last week I went to the county fair and saw...yes...deep fried cheese curds.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

I'm going to hazard a guess that cheese is not popular in China due, in part, to the relatively high percentage of lactose intolerant Asians. Whether Jingwen likes cheese will never be know - she won't touch it. The kids, on the other hand, don't have a problem with cheese, and will even use pungent Parmesan on pasta dishes.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I find that most Chinese people do not like cheese, especially if it is eaten cold. Some like the individual kraft style singles, but that big block of cold cheddar on a cracker is something that most can't handle.

There is similar product to cheese that some chinese, do enjoy however. It's called "Mei Doufu" which is a kind of tofu that is fermented and is very, very strong.

146056[/snapback]

She likes it, but worries that it will make her FAT....She prefers vegetables and fruit.....

I've lived in China for 5 years and have never met a single person who is lactose intolerant. I think really it has to do with exposure to the product more than anything else.

I remember when I first came to China everybody was eating this green bean ice cream. I tried it and was immediatly repulsed...but now I really like it.

Chou Doufu, or "Smelly Tofu" has regional varieties throughout China. In Hunan, it is black and deepfried in a wok full of boiling oil, then drowned in Chili oil, garlic and chives...in Harbin I saw something compleatly different sold in jars swimming in a kind of vinegar.

Mei Duofo, or "Spoiled Tofu" is also sold in small jars. It is soft, white and has about the same texture as cream cheese...but tastes anything but creamy.

My wife likes mozerella but cant stand cheddar.

Li loves cheese and can eat it by the ton. When we lived in China, it was generally hard to find. Everytime I went to Hong Kong, Taiwan or Japan, I stocked up (coffee too).

Here in the states our fridge is usually full of cheese.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I've lived in China for 5 years and have never met a single person who is lactose intolerant. I think really it has to do with exposure to the product more than anything else.....

My wife likes mozerella but cant stand cheddar.

146090[/snapback]

I've seen a wide variety of cheeses in the larger and more popular grocery stores, but agree with you about the exposure and culture. While cheese is poopular on many American dishes, you rarely if ever see it served on native Chinese dishes. Probably dates back to the times where dairy products were just not available so cheese hardly became something even known.

I could not find cheese anywhere in Chongqing. Carrefour didn't even carry it!

I did buy a couple of pizzas from the one and only Pizza Hut in Chongqing. It was an hour trip to get it home but the family seemed to like it and I didn't catch anyone making secret rice trips to the kitchen.

Next trip I plan to bring a big block of cheddar to try on them.

Wei likes cheese, but makes no conscious effort to make it part of her diet.

When we had our wedding ceremony last year in Beijing, my family and friends stayed the week. After about 4 days of stuffing ourselves silly with all of the great local cuisine, my friend noticed that something was missing...CHEESE!!!

Needless to say the next meal eaten was at Pizza Hut. :D :P